Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
acetech
acetech began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Sony PRS600 Reader and Calibre Sync

I am trying to figure out how to sync my eBook library with the Sony reader. I can see send to device but am not sure this is an actual sync or which one to use. I would like an exact copy of my library on the computer and on the eBook reader. I like to just plug in the SD card instead of the whole reader. My problem is I am not sure how to make sure the ebooks are synced. And also, when I update meta information on my computer if it will update on the reader as well.
acetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #2
acetech

A couple updates to my endeavors:

1) I tried sending all my ebooks to the reader card B and it crashes python during the sync.

2) Many of my ebooks are CHM and I am not sure how to send them to my reader.

3) During a sync where i attempt to reformat the books it is giving a python error:

ValueError:Could not find an ebook inside the archive

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 514, in dispatch_sync_event
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 815, in sync_to_device
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/main.py", line 1238, in auto_convert
File "calibre/gui2/tools.pyo", line 39, in convert_single_ebook
File "calibre/gui2/convert/single.pyo", line 124, in __init__
File "calibre/gui2/convert/single.pyo", line 163, in setup_pipeline
File "calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.pyo", line 465, in __init__
File "calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.pyo", line 535, in unarchive
File "calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.pyo", line 546, in find_html_index
ValueError: Could not find an ebook inside the archive

I just want to put the eBooks on the reader and hopefully in the best format too. I would also like it to be able to recognize deletes in the computer library and then delete on the reader to. This might be a feature suggestion though.
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hey

I usually save my books in a non-related directory I created as backup. There is a button (Save to Disk) in Calibre right beside the 'send to device' button. Once I saved to disk I send the books to device and remove from Calibre.

Hope I understood correctly what you were saying. I'm not always the brightest spark in the box
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A sync of the type you describe is something that is planned for the future.

CHM is not a Calibre supported format. I also do not know if there are any ebook readers that support cdhm as a native format. I believe there are a variety of tools that claim to be able to convert CHM files to HTML (which is a Calibre supported format) which can then be converted to a format your ebook reader understands. I do not have much experience of these tools so do not know which to recommend. I tried the ABC converter but was not very impressed by the results.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
acetech

I am working with PyCHM to uncompile the CHM, once I have that done, I am going to try any2epub or some other form to convert it into epub or lrf. I am undecided on which is the better format. I think doing it this way will also contribute to the project. The only thing I am hoping is the unpackage results in toc.html as the main file to use for the epub or lrf conversion.
Advert