Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #61
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Dashiell Hammett
Hillaire Belloc

Ludwig von Mises, particularly Human Action
Frederick von Hayek, particularly The Road to Serfdom

I also expect certain singular novels will be read (but not the author's body of work), such as Catch-22.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #62
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Ya leave 'em alone for just a minute to buy some Tubes....
Your own fault. Anyone would know better than to leave us alone for any length of time........I'm just sayin'.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #63
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
Phillip Roth
Margaret Atwood
Salman Rushdie
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #64
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Patrick O'Brian

C. S. Forester

Adachi Mitsuru

Alistair MacLean

Evelyn Waugh
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:50 AM   #65
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
A couple I forgot in my earlier list :

Robertson Davies
William Trevor

And a couple who should be, but won't (probably) :

Ian McEwan
Alasdair Gray
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #66
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I believe I can think of one author who won't be read 100 years from now. I won't embarrass her by mentioning her name, but her initials are S.P.

You betcha'!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #67
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, maybe her poetry...

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-13-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #68
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I believe I can think of one author who won't be read 100 years from now. I won't embarrass her by mentioning her name, but her initials are S.P.

You betcha'!
To be fair, not many people read Susan Powter NOW.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #69
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
To be fair, not many people read Susan Powter NOW.
You know, for a bald-headed babe, she ain't half bad.

Yeah, I said it! (Apologies to Wanda Sykes.)
Old 11-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #70
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Most of the ones I would have listed have already been named but I will throw:

Vladimir Nabokov
Gabriel Garcia Marquez

into the mix. Apologies if they have already been named.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #71
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Just finished reading a short story by Lester Del Rey....."The Day is Done".

Written in 1939, if this is any inkling of what the rest of his short stories were like......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #72
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Terry Pratchett
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #73
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Terry Pratchett
Oh, I hope so. I only recently discovered him (thanks to some good folks here at MobileRead) and now I find to my dismay that he is suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's. It will be a great day when that dreaded disease has finally been conquered. It has claimed too many of the brightest and best. (Arron Copeland comes to mind.)
Old 11-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #74
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Well, maybe her poetry...
oh, THANK YOU for that ineffable moment of surreality. it's the most brilliant thing i've seen in some time. i'm still giggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Most of the ones I would have listed have already been named but I will throw:

Vladimir Nabokov
Gabriel Garcia Marquez

into the mix. Apologies if they have already been named.

Mel
arg !! i can't believe i forgot nabokov !!! he's one of my favourite writers ever ! lists like this are mostly good for highlighting how terrible i am at making them.

...did i mention Dorothy L Sayers yet ? if not, ah, her.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #75
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
I didn't see Harper Lee mentioned, but I scrolled the thread pretty quickly. She deserves multiples anyway!

I just read To Kill a Mockingbird this summer. Absolutely one of the best books I've ever read, and shocked to discover it was her only book!

I've actually tried to discuss the book with several people. Universal response, "Oh, I had to read that in school." End of conversation.

I appreciated it, but I read it for enjoyment. However, being forced to read it -- or probably any book -- seems to be detrimental to the experience. As an example, I still can't stand my 9th Grade assigned The Good Earth..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
It will be horrible for most of us looking from the now into the future, but I can't see how the concept of authorship can survive a connected and real-time world. Look now at the most popular form of fiction; the video game. There's no author of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 or Batman: Arkham Asylum, and as those fictional experiences become more immersive, the creator/audience will blur into one another. Characters will survive, they always do. There are plenty of people now who can tell you who Sherlock Holmes is without knowing his creator. Everyone knows Batman too, but I bet there are very few people who can tell you the creator's name.

Again, it's not something I'm happy about, but I can't see how writing/reading as a form of pleasure will survive.
Video games are certainly progressing in their storytelling capability, but they're far more akin to a movies than books. They're more group efforts. They have a writer(s), a director(s), animators, story boards, cut scenes, etc. Everything inherited from making movies. And while I enjoy a good story, many games are just fun for the interactive aspect. Witness the multiplayer experience. Halo and COD had good storylines, but were heralded for their online play, and that has no story aspect at all.

So I really don't see that games and books are at all similar. And given that books have survived and thrived in the era of film, I don't think games pose any sort of threat at all.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 11-13-2009 at 03:55 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote