Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Amazon Caves on Text-To-Speech

As you may know, there has been a public debate going on since 9 February over whether Amazon had the right to create the TTS ability of the K2. You can read what the Author's Guild has said here, and here. I just received this press release.

Quote:
SEATTLE, Feb 27, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Kindle 2's experimental text-to-speech feature is legal: no copy is made, no derivative work is created, and no performance is being given. Furthermore, we ourselves are a major participant in the professionally narrated audiobooks business through our subsidiaries Audible and Brilliance. We believe text-to-speech will introduce new customers to the convenience of listening to books and thereby grow the professionally narrated audiobooks business.

Nevertheless, we strongly believe many rightsholders will be more comfortable with the text-to-speech feature if they are in the driver's seat.

Therefore, we are modifying our systems so that rightsholders can decide on a title by title basis whether they want text-to-speech enabled or disabled for any particular title. We have already begun to work on the technical changes required to give authors and publishers that choice. With this new level of control, publishers and authors will be able to decide for themselves whether it is in their commercial interests to leave text-to-speech enabled. We believe many will decide that it is.

Customers tell us that with Kindle, they read more, and buy more books. We are passionate about bringing the benefits of modern technology to long-form reading.
I'm surprised. I thought Amazon had a solid position, both legal and contractual.

But there is an upside. There is an exception to the DMCA that allows for DRM removal of ebooks that have TTS ability disabled. The K2 jeopardized the exception because it had TTS for all ebooks. Now that it doesn't, I can legally remove DRM from my ebooks again. This is completely wrong.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
... I'm surprised. I thought Amazon had a solid position, both legal and contractual....
And they do:

"no copy is made, no derivative work is created, and no performance is being given."

I am assuming they've decided it's not worth alienating the content creators and publishers, so they will lock TTS for some titles.

Then it will be the market that decides if these would sell.

I already know which way I'll go.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
And they do:

"no copy is made, no derivative work is created, and no performance is being given."

I am assuming they've decided it's not worth alienating the content creators and publishers, so they will lock TTS for some titles.

Then it will be the market that decides if these would sell.

I already know which way I'll go.
Agreed. But Nate's point about legally removing DRM from these e-books kind of sweetens the pot for me. I always remove DRM from my e-books anyway.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly, but has the net result of the Authors Guild outburst been to essentially allow us all to remove DRM from ebooks legally?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not a lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly, but has the net result of the Authors Guild outburst been to essentially allow us all to remove DRM from ebooks legally?
Here is what the copyright office says:
Quote:
4. Literary works distributed in ebook format when all existing ebook editions of the work (including digital text editions made available by authorized entities) contain access controls that prevent the enabling either of the book’s read-aloud function or of screen readers that render the text into a specialized format.
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2006/index.html

So if a DRMed ebook can't be run through TTS software because of the DRM, you can legally remove it. The really cool part is that it doesn't matter why you want to remove the DRM. If a title is available only in eReader, you can remove the DRM. If it is available in MSReader but has the TTS disabled, you can remove the DRM.

The K2 threatened this becuase it had the vast majority of ebook available in the US, and it could play all of them on TTS.

EDIT:I was completely wrong on this.

If I had written the exception quoted above, I would have stated who it applied to and why. They did not because the limited nature of the exception is stated in the DMCA. Basically, you can only remove DRM from ebooks if you need to use TTS. If you are not adversely affected by TTS being disabled, you cannot remove DRM.
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Seems like the only people who won out in this battle are the consumers (for once)
Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Seems like the only people who won out in this battle are the consumers (for once)
Yep. Now you can remove the DRM from the AZW ebooks and play them on your K2. Heck, I was going to do that anyway.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Well, not really. Most consumers don't remove DRM and many don't even know a book they buy for their Kindle even has DRM on it. These consumers will find that this feature won't work for them and when they bought their eBook Reader they were promised it would.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well, not really. Most consumers don't remove DRM and many don't even know a book they buy for their Kindle even has DRM on it. These consumers will find that this feature won't work for them and when they bought their eBook Reader they were promised it would.

Dale
And they'll get angry, and a good portion of them will try to find out why, and that good portion will then discover the truth and tell their friends.

One of the reasons I fear that DRM is so prevalent in all forms of media is that consumers aren't advised properly about what it does, and what it prevents them from doing. But once they get stung by DRM there's no turning back. Nothing more galling than paying out money only to realise the product has been rendered useless by idiotic protection schemes or other market restricting techniques. My first experience of the ridiculousness of DRM/protection was with DVD. I imported a R1 DVD from America and couldn't play it on any of my players. A quick search, a few keypresses on my remote, and the region encoding on the DVD was stripped away.

DRM is redundant in all ways, apart from a false sense of security that it provides the content providers.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's my take on it at TeleRead.org.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Probably explains the firmware update? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40383
kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Has anyone noticed a book that has the TTS turned off?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Has anyone noticed a book that has the TTS turned off?
That would require actually using it.

About a paragraph of TTS is all most people who can see well enough to read instead can stand.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
But there is an upside. There is an exception to the DMCA that allows for DRM removal of ebooks that have TTS ability disabled. The K2 jeopardized the exception because it had TTS for all ebooks. Now that it doesn't, I can legally remove DRM from my ebooks again.
Only legally for those ebooks that do not allow TTS to work. The others are still the same gray area.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #15
astromusic
astromusic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Ahem.... can you give this clueless person a pointer on how one might go about removing DRM?

I was completely BUMMED out about this news and seething about Author's Guild, but this news cheers me up considerably!
astromusic is offline   Reply With Quote