Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Sony PRS-505 fast enough for skimming magazines? PRS-700 instead?

Free Calibre magazines and newspapers, wow, what a nice bonus. That narrows my choice to Sony Readers. But when watching Youtube reviews of the PRS-505 that showed seemingly slow page turns, I got concerned that the 505 wouldn't let me efficiently read those magazines, which often run 1,000 Reader pages or more. Is that true? Slow enough that it would be not be possible to quickly skim over articles in the magazine? Would the more powerful Sony PRS-700 be a better bet? I think I would have preferred the 505's clearer screen and lower price for my first foray into eBook readers, except for this quick-skimming issue.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Free Calibre magazines and newspapers, wow, what a nice bonus. That narrows my choice to Sony Readers. But when watching Youtube reviews of the PRS-505 that showed seemingly slow page turns, I got concerned that the 505 wouldn't let me efficiently read those magazines, which often run 1,000 Reader pages or more. Is that true? Slow enough that it would be not be possible to quickly skim over articles in the magazine? Would the more powerful Sony PRS-700 be a better bet? I think I would have preferred the 505's clearer screen and lower price for my first foray into eBook readers, except for this quick-skimming issue.
For this use I do believe that the PRS-700 would be better. Early next year there will be more faster units I believe. CES is coming and there will be eBook Readers announced.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
I have kindle and sony 505 and I think sony has faster page turns and faster menu access than kindle and I read news via caliber and I really dont feel slow. I have not heard if sony 700 has faster page turns, I think page turns are eink dependent rather than processor dependent.
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
I have kindle and sony 505 and I think sony has faster page turns and faster menu access than kindle and I read news via caliber and I really dont feel slow. I have not heard if sony 700 has faster page turns, I think page turns are eink dependent rather than processor dependent.
The 700 is quite faster than any eink to date. Check the video review in another thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33917
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
The 700 is quite faster than any eink to date. Check the video review in another thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33917
There is a dominant lower end based on the technology but there is also some time devoted to preparing the page for turning. This time can be the dominant time for PDF and other complicated documents with image processing typical of magazines. The faster processor in the PRS 700 makes a difference here.

Dale
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I read news via caliber and I really dont feel slow.
The videos of the PRS-505 that I watched seemed to take about a full second per page, which would mean that skimming an uninteresting newspaper of 1200 Reader pages would take 20 minutes. Or skimming past an article to the next article would be an agonizingly slow 10 seconds or so of button pushing. Is that about correct? Or were the videos I saw all of PDFs?

I want to read about 4 or 5 big newspapers and magazines a day, so one-second page turns would require 1.5 hours not including the actual reading! Videos of the PRS-700 showed fast page turns, and the 700 also allow a fast, visible scan by holding at the end of the screen swipe. Does the 505 have that capability (I couldn't find it documented in the manual), so that there won't need to be the full 1200 pushes of the page button?

I was all set to take Dale's advice of waiting for CES or PRS-700, but the cheaper, clearer 505 is enticing for a first Reader.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
I want to read about 4 or 5 big newspapers and magazines a day, so one-second page turns would require 1.5 hours not including the actual reading! Videos of the PRS-700 showed fast page turns, and the 700 also allow a fast, visible scan by holding at the end of the screen swipe. Does the 505 have that capability (I couldn't find it documented in the manual), so that there won't need to be the full 1200 pushes of the page button?
I'd suggest you using titles and links then?
The 505 only has the option to go page by page, or 10 pages at 1 click
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The faster processor in the PRS 700 makes a difference here.

Dale
Big difference actually for pdf's. Until the 700 I never could read a pdf on a smaller/less powerful than tablet device. With the 700, I usually can dump on it any usual pdf (not double page/double column) and read it as is. The 700 made reading non-fiction science PDF e-books from eNYPL for example quite enjoyable

Only Safari on a hacked iTouch was acceptable as speed for pdf's but with many limitations in other respects.

On the 700 I have never found yet a regular pdf that is unreadable either as speed or as clarity, though sometimes the horizontal half page mode is necessary if reflow is not well done or the pdf is image based.

Only double page scans need to be cut since horizontal half page obviously does not work, while some double column scientific articles or magazines can present problems if the reflow is not proper.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
Bookathon
Bookaholic

IMO real world difference between sony 505 and 700 page turns will be non issue, as 700 requires a finger swipe which is pressure dependent not human skin dependent as iphone is, and i really dont know if lifting a finger and swipe is better than button press since I dont have 700, only forum member who had sony 505 before and now have 700 can attest to that.

I have so far read only one review of 700 which mentioned this finger swipe thing and it says that sometime you miss it and redo the swipe so infact you may waste time. can a owner of 700 chime in?

Review link is http://news.cnet.com/hands-on-with-s...igital-reader/

In the end sony 505 will fit the bill at this time because of its price.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #10
Liviu_5
Books and more books

Quote:
IMO real world difference between sony 505 and 700 page turns will be non issue, as 700 requires a finger swipe which is pressure dependent not human skin dependent as iphone is, and i really dont know if lifting a finger and swipe is better than button press since I dont have 700, only forum member who had sony 505 before and now have 700 can attest to that.
I use finger swipe sometimes but the nice large page turn buttons are much more natural for me.

When I use it one handed in my right hand I need to do the finger swipe with the thumb since the page turn buttons are on the left and work well when you hold it with the left hand, though sometimes I do finger swipe for variation.

Once you do finger swipe several times it's automatic and rarely misses, but for me button turning is more natural, while the touch screen is useful for bookmarks, navigation between books, search...
Old 12-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
jj2me
Guru

Quote:
IMO real world difference between sony 505 and 700 page turns will be non issue, as 700 requires a finger swipe which is pressure dependent ...
Thanks, I see your point. Quoting from the article you linked, the 700 also offers something akin to an MP3 player's fast forward:

"Swiping and holding your finger down at the end of the swipe allows you to advance or rewind through pages at a fast clip." This fast-forward capability is shown in Hussein's video review of the PRS-700, at about the 1:25 mark. It seems much better for article skimming than the one page or 10 page jump of the 505.

But since a sister with weaker eyes will be sharing sometimes, the 505's clarity is so tempting. Do you experience 505 page turns to be a full second or thereabouts?
Old 12-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
Bookathon
Bookaholic

jj2me

Eveywhere I read it says .5 second and I think it is nearly impossible to measure by any means, I have not been bothered by page turn delay and my vision is really bad and I am both far sighted and near sighted as well. clarity of the screen was a major factor in my purchase with imroved pdf support as compared to kindle. I am now a proud owner of sony 505, the price at target is 269 now cheapest I have seen so far, bestbuy couple weeks ago had 199
Old 12-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I have so far read only one review of 700 which mentioned this finger swipe thing and it says that sometime you miss it and redo the swipe so infact you may waste time. can a owner of 700 chime in?

Review link is http://news.cnet.com/hands-on-with-s...igital-reader/

In the end sony 505 will fit the bill at this time because of its price.
Well there is no reason to limit yourself to swipes on the 700. It has dedicated keys for page turns as well.

Dale
Old 12-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
Bookathon
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well there is no reason to limit yourself to swipes on the 700. It has dedicated keys for page turns as well.

Dale
I did'nt know it, its actually good that screen stays clean.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
jj2me
Guru

Thanks

Just want to thank everyone for your help. Much appreciated. Will take a bit of advice from everyone: wait for CES, then if nothing better is announced, bring an SD card loaded with the NY Times to a Sony Style store, and try reading/skimming on the PRS-700 and -505, and also try using titles and links rather than paging on the 505.