Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
geekmeetsworld
geekmeetsworld began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
PRS-700 and PRS-505 Review and Comparison from a PRS-500 owner

Hey everyone,

I have been following this forum for a while, but this is my first post (with this username, and in a long time). Anyway, I got to try out the new PRS-700 at my local Sony Style store today and wanted to share my observations.

I currently own a PRS-500 and have been holding off upgrading. I am finally getting a new one and have been debating between the PRS-505 and the PRS-700. After being able to take my memory card and try out both of the 505 and 700 at the same time, I think I will be getting the 505.

First of all, there really is a clarity issue with the 700. The screen isn't bad, and by itself is still impressive. However, when you hold it next to the 505 it just pales in comparison. The 505 screen pops and stands out, but the 700 screen keeps reminding you it is an electronic device.

The ability to zoom in on PDFs with the 700 is great, and works well. It is a really tempting feature. However, my PDFs were so clear on the 505 screen, I don't know how much I really need to zoom.

The touch screen on the 700 feels a bit "beta" like. I found myself using the hardware keys wherever possible so I didn't have to fight with the touch interface. You definitely need to use the included stylus to avoid getting mad and throwing at a wall. It is not really made for finger use.

The page turning difference in minimal. You can tell the 700 is faster, but not by enough to be a determining factor.

The sex appeal of the 700 is poor. It looks like it was made in the 80's (and not in a good way). The 505 is slick and thin, and feels great.

Lastly, Sony is continuing to support the 505 along with the 700. Because of this I will be buying the 505 since I know I can still get all the updates for reading different file formats. I just love looking at the 505 screen.

If you really want a 700 for notes, searching, and zoom, don't let the screen scare you away. It isn't bad, just not as stunning as the 505. I think Sony will find that the both devices sell well together.
geekmeetsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmeetsworld View Post
Hey everyone,

I have been following this forum for a while, but this is my first post (with this username, and in a long time). Anyway, I got to try out the new PRS-700 at my local Sony Style store today and wanted to share my observations.

I currently own a PRS-500 and have been holding off upgrading. I am finally getting a new one and have been debating between the PRS-505 and the PRS-700. After being able to take my memory card and try out both of the 505 and 700 at the same time, I think I will be getting the 505.

First of all, there really is a clarity issue with the 700. The screen isn't bad, and by itself is still impressive. However, when you hold it next to the 505 it just pales in comparison. The 505 screen pops and stands out, but the 700 screen keeps reminding you it is an electronic device.

The ability to zoom in on PDFs with the 700 is great, and works well. It is a really tempting feature. However, my PDFs were so clear on the 505 screen, I don't know how much I really need to zoom.

The touch screen on the 700 feels a bit "beta" like. I found myself using the hardware keys wherever possible so I didn't have to fight with the touch interface. You definitely need to use the included stylus to avoid getting mad and throwing at a wall. It is not really made for finger use.

The page turning difference in minimal. You can tell the 700 is faster, but not by enough to be a determining factor.

The sex appeal of the 700 is poor. It looks like it was made in the 80's (and not in a good way). The 505 is slick and thin, and feels great.

Lastly, Sony is continuing to support the 505 along with the 700. Because of this I will be buying the 505 since I know I can still get all the updates for reading different file formats. I just love looking at the 505 screen.

If you really want a 700 for notes, searching, and zoom, don't let the screen scare you away. It isn't bad, just not as stunning as the 505. I think Sony will find that the both devices sell well together.
I think they should replace the 505 with a "510" using the controller and upgraded RAM and CPU that the 700 has.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think they should replace the 505 with a "510" using the controller and upgraded RAM and CPU that the 700 has.
Hear! Hear!
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
like2read
like2read began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmeetsworld View Post
Because of this I will be buying the 505 since I know I can still get all the updates for reading different file formats. I just love looking at the 505 screen.
Hi Geek,

this is exactly what i would do if i'd not already own the 505. I wanted to buy the 700 but I simply think it is not worth it

Greetings

like2read
like2read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Thanks for your review. I think if you are looking at the 700 and have had no prior experience with 500 or 505, it's probably something people would spring for. Having had the opportunity to side-by-side 500, 505, and 700, I left my beloved 500 with the SonyStyle store and walked out hugging a shiny new 505.

My biggest feature is that I can now use eBooks from the library and the screen is whiter and sharper than my 500. And maybe this is my own imagination, but the page turns to me are faster on 505 vs 500. I'd conditioned my fingers to hit "Next Page" when I was most of the way down the page so the page turns were pretty seamless on the 500. But with the 505 I was missing the last sentence or so, and I had to retrain my "Next Page" finger to let it get further down the page
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
c1yat
c1yat doesn't litterc1yat doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
My biggest feature is that I can now use eBooks from the library and the screen is whiter and sharper than my 500. And maybe this is my own imagination, but the page turns to me are faster on 505 vs 500. I'd conditioned my fingers to hit "Next Page" when I was most of the way down the page so the page turns were pretty seamless on the 500. But with the 505 I was missing the last sentence or so, and I had to retrain my "Next Page" finger to let it get further down the page [/QUOTE]

I have to remember that a glass of wine means slow down on hitting the page turn button! I have missed the last sentence and had to go back a few times, especially with the last glass in the bottle
c1yat is offline   Reply With Quote