Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #18661
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy
Very good, but not as good as I remember it - I suppose that's inevitable. But still very good.

Next up: In a Darkling Sea by John Ringo. Next in his post-zombie-apocalypse series. Fun so far, provided one doesn't think too hard about it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #18662
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...I'm not familiar with Brandon Sanderson....
Really? I thought for sure I had seen you comment on either the Mistborn series or the Wheel of Time books that he completed....
I don't believe I've ever read anything by Sanderson. His Mistborn was one of the selections in one of the monthly MobileRead Book Club polls, but I didn't vote for it. Until you mentioned it, I had completely forgotten that I had even that much experience with the name.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #18663
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I just finished Stephen Alford's The Watchers: A Secret History of the Reign of Elizabeth I. A very good description of the Elizabethan security apparatus, and some disconcerting parallels to the age we live in.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #18664
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't believe I've ever read anything by Sanderson. His Mistborn was one of the selections in one of the monthly MobileRead Book Club polls, but I didn't vote for it. Until you mentioned it, I had completely forgotten that I had even that much experience with the name.
If you have any interest in fantasy at all, you really should give him a go. I'd personally rate him as the best living fantasy author.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #18665
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just finished reading Sand Omnibus and found it to be quite a good read! I enjoyed it immensely as I have everything I've read that was written by Hugh Howey!

Next, a re-read of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban!
I very much enjoyed my re-read of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban!

Next, I've started reading Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot #10) by Agatha Christie for the very first time!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #18666
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Any fans of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series here? Amazon has made a pilot based on Concrete Blond and City of Bones. It will be streamed free to all Amazon customers in February. Check it out!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #18667
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
It will be streamed free to all Amazon customers in February.
I seriously doubt that this statement is true.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #18668
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I seriously doubt that this statement is true.
I think it is. It may only be available to Amazon Prime subscribers. But, since it's going to be on TV in Feb, it's possibly Amazon will also stream it.

Last edited by MickeyC; 01-18-2014 at 08:01 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #18669
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Meanwhile, I just finished Frozen Heat by Richard Castle. Great read although Rook is getting to be annoyingly sarcastic. Hmmm, wonder if Nelson DeMille isn't one of the mystery writers who are Richard Castle.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #18670
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I think it is. It may only be available to Amazon Prime subscribers. But, since it's going to be on TV in Feb, it's possibly Amazon will also stream it.
No, you misunderstand me. Amazon video streaming services are only available in the US, therefore to say that it will be available to "all Amazon customers" is almost without doubt incorrect.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #18671
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just finished "Dumb Witness" by Agatha Christie. This was her 28th book, and was originally published in 1937. In this book, Poirot investigates the death of an elderly lady who died, seemingly of natural causes, with a greedy family all wanting her money. The "Dumb Witness" of the title is her dog, Bob, who is a major character (complete with dialogue ) in the book. A good read. Recommended.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #18672
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Forever Engine by Frank Chadwick.

This is only his second published book but his first, How Dark the World Becomes got a 5/5 from me last January, so I was looking forward to this. To my surprise, it is not a sequel, but an entirely new universe. A professor of ancient history from 2018 is sent by accident to a steam-punk version of 1888. Looking very good so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Normally I would have zero interest in a Steam-punk book, but Chadwick's first book was so good I have to give this one a try. Especially since I hadn't really expected much out of that first one and it turned into a 5/5 from me, too.
I picked up How Dark the World Becomes based on the posts by pdurrant and CRussell. I agree that it was a 5/5 that I enjoyed immensely. I just picked up Frank Chadwick's second book, The Forever Engine. I too have not been a fan of Steam-Punk, but this one also is off to a great start. I highly recommend these books to anyone who might have even a little interest in Sci-Fi. I will be eagerly waiting for other books from this author.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #18673
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you misunderstand me. Amazon video streaming services are only available in the US, therefore to say that it will be available to "all Amazon customers" is almost without doubt incorrect.
From Michael Connelly's website:
Quote:
People in the US and the UK will be invited to watch the pilot in February on Amazon Instant Video (USA) and LOVEFiLM (UK) at no cost and can provide feedback that will help determine if the pilot will be produced as series.
Detailed instructions follow about watching on various devices both in the UK and the US.

Quote:
A membership to LOVEFiLM is not needed to watch the pilot episode.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #18674
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Good catch. HarryT, you owe BelleZora a drink!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #18675
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
From Michael Connelly's website:

Detailed instructions follow about watching on various devices both in the UK and the US.
Thanks for the information, but I'm afraid I still stand by my statement that it's unlikely to be available to ALL Amazon customers, simply because, except for Amazon UK and US, the other national sites have no provision for video streaming.