Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Good novels with lesbian protagonists?

Thread started from this post - I have the feeling I was about to highjack that thread completely

I asked this question:
I have been looking for novels with lesbian protagonists and it seem there is so little of it. Really, I can't think of anyone but Sarah Waters. At least the kind of books I'm looking for; basically "just" quality entertainment. I can find romance, and what I could call feminist-political fiction, but that's not what I am looking for. Does anyone have suggestions?

This is Seabound's anser and my comments - hope it makes sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think there are many books out there that match what you are looking for. I consider Sarah Waters's books as falling squarely into the literary fiction bin. (As an aside, all her books except Tipping are included in the Guardian's "1000 novels everyone must read" list, which surprised me and made me glad both. It's one measure of her novels' impact. Both "Fingersmith" and "The Night Watch" were shortlisted for the Booker Prize and the Orange Prize, and Waters has won several awards.) I've tried picking up a couple of Jeanette Winterson's books, but I've never managed to finish them. She can be hard for me to read, but I haven't given up on her yet.

As for recommendations, well, why don't you give "The Night Watch" another go?
Thanks for all the recommendations
It's funny how tastes differ, I would say Sarah Waters' books are not intellectual and/or arty enough to call it literary fiction, I'd say it was 'general', though also very high quality w. reg. to storytelling and writing style. Jeanette Winterson on the other hand, I would say is literary I like "Oranges are not the only fruit", which I think is probably her least literary and the most accessible. I've tried some of her other books, too, but they never really caught my interest.

I'll definitely give "Night Watch" a second try. In fact I just bough an e-version. I have it in hardback, but every time I look at it on the bookshelf I just think 'later' because it's such a large book

Quote:
There are two books which I've read which I think fit the description of books you're looking for. Their setting is in the US instead of the UK. Both are well written but the styles are very different. Both are unhurried in telling the story, and, through good writing and storytelling, both pull off the seemingly impossible (for love stories) of keeping the reader's attention even without explicit sex between the main characters (i.e. don't expect anything in that department ):

* "Bittersweet" by Nevada Barr. ...

* "The Price of Salt" by Patricia Highsmith. ...
I wasn't specifically looking for anything in "that department" but if you have recommendations...

Anyway... I haven't heard about "Bittersweet", though I've read the Anna Pigeon series a long time ago. I'll definitely try it, looks great, definitely something I might like.
"The price of salt" I have actually read. The library had it, and even in translation. (now I'm starting to remember the books I have read). Do you know "Rubyfruit Jungle" by Rita Mae Brown?

Quote:
BTW, for those who don't know yet, "The Little Stranger" does not have any gay characters in it, unlike Waters's other novels. I think some of her gay fans are a little disappointed by this, but I'm thrilled about it. I think it's a really good career move for her.
It looked like it didn't. I don't mind either - she should write what she wants to, and it's easy to be pigeonholed as that lesbian writer if she never does anything else. However with this dearth of books with interesting lesbian characters it's no wonder some could feel disappointed.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
For Science Fiction you might like Ammonite by Nicola Griffith.

And you could check out the Lambda Literary Awards.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'm not sure whether this really quite fits what you are looking for, but Orlando by Virginia Woolf comes to mind. it's a roman à clef, meaning she is writing about real people disguising them with different names (Orlando is based on Woolf's friend Vita Sackville-West), and to escape the censorship of the time the main character of the book is a man at the time he has a love affair with a woman, but later is transformed into a woman.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
For Science Fiction you might like Ammonite by Nicola Griffith.

And you could check out the Lambda Literary Awards.
All of Nicola Griffiths' novels are very well written - and available on Amazon. Some are Sci-Fi, some have a female lesbian PI.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll try Nicola Griffith, then. Thanks

@Zelda: I have read Orlando, and I liked it. But I like the film better though. If you liked the book and haven't seen the film, you should try watch it. If you are interested in Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf and their lives and times, I can recommend Nigel Nicholson's "Portrait of a marriage". It's a portrait of his parents, Vita and ??, and their marriage, and among other things, also his mother's lover Violet Trefusis. It's very entertaining.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I'll try Nicola Griffith, then. Thanks

@Zelda: I have read Orlando, and I liked it. But I like the film better though. If you liked the book and haven't seen the film, you should try watch it. If you are interested in Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf and their lives and times, I can recommend Nigel Nicholson's "Portrait of a marriage". It's a portrait of his parents, Vita and ??, and their marriage, and among other things, also his mother's lover Violet Trefusis. It's very entertaining.
thanks for the recommendation ! i haven't seen the film. i will try to check it out.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you like mysteries, Laurie R. King's series about a San Francisco detective named Kate Martinelli might work for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If you like mysteries, Laurie R. King's series about a San Francisco detective named Kate Martinelli might work for you.
Yes, they're great
Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Thread started from this post - I have the feeling I was about to highjack that thread completely
Hah, remember that you are at MobileRead, where hijacking is considered a virtue worth rewarding with a hundred other hijack posts. So the next time you're in the mood, hijack away! Except of course when you find yourself in the conservatory forum, where the punishment for hijacking is cutting off fingers to keep one from typing.

Quote:
Thanks for all the recommendations
It's funny how tastes differ, I would say Sarah Waters' books are not intellectual and/or arty enough to call it literary fiction, I'd say it was 'general', though also very high quality w. reg. to storytelling and writing style. Jeanette Winterson on the other hand, I would say is literary I like "Oranges are not the only fruit", which I think is probably her least literary and the most accessible. I've tried some of her other books, too, but they never really caught my interest.
Oh, you'll get no argument from me about Winterson's "literariness"--I'm quite sure her writing is in that category. But I see we disagree about Waters, so we agree to disagree. Thinking about it, maybe a better tag for her novels would be just literature--with a capital L.

Quote:
I'll definitely give "Night Watch" a second try. In fact I just bough an e-version. I have it in hardback, but every time I look at it on the bookshelf I just think 'later' because it's such a large book
I would venture to say that "Night Watch" is her most "literary" novel--unlayering characters with the aid of the plot device, and sustaining politcal undertones. (Oh yuck, now I think I'm sounding too "literary".)

Quote:
I wasn't specifically looking for anything in "that department" but if you have recommendations...
No need to blush--it's only us MR geeks.

Quote:
Do you know "Rubyfruit Jungle" by Rita Mae Brown?
I can still clearly remember the time I plunked down on a chair at a Barnes and Noble Cafe, in a town I didn't like (I was on a trip), and tried to read that book. I didn't like it at all, and I've never tried another Rita Mae Brown book since. I think maybe Fannie Flagg is the better and funnier writer.

Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
How about Melissa Scott - sci fi/speculative fiction - very focused on gender issues.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Hah, remember that you are at MobileRead, where hijacking is considered a virtue worth rewarding with a hundred other hijack posts. So the next time you're in the mood, hijack away! Except of course when you find yourself in the conservatory forum, where the punishment for hijacking is cutting off fingers to keep one from typing.
I was actually one of those in favour of the conservatory, and I would say the most you risk is a sharp tongue but certainly not over the normal meanderings of a discussion.

Seriously, starting a new thread might also get more people to see the question and I really think it was better to leave the old thread to Ms. Waters and her books.

Quote:
Oh, you'll get no argument from me about Winterson's "literariness"--I'm quite sure her writing is in that category. But I see we disagree about Waters, so we agree to disagree. Thinking about it, maybe a better tag for her novels would be just literature--with a capital L.
I could agree with that And then we'd agree after all!

Quote:
No need to blush--it's only us MR geeks.
So you don't have any recommendations then?

Quote:
I can still clearly remember the time I plunked down on a chair at a Barnes and Noble Cafe, in a town I didn't like (I was on a trip), and tried to read that book. I didn't like it at all, and I've never tried another Rita Mae Brown book since. I think maybe Fannie Flagg is the better and funnier writer.

I don't think I've read any of Fannie Flagg. Oh, wait, there was one about a TV host whose mother had a troubled background and then she, the TV host that is, gets a breakdown. Okay, but not especially interesting, except I didn't know anything about the concept of 'passing as white' before I read it.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Kim Harrison's vampire/witch series has one lesbian protag...she's not the POV character, but she's definitely a main part of the series' story arc.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
Ea
Wizard

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will certainly look them up.

I think I'm at the moment not so much into reading sci-fi/fantasy/vampire/etc., but more general fiction, and I'm most interested if it's a main POV character.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:15 AM   #14
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Don't know if this helps much, but Iris Murdoch has a bunch of significant gay (mostly) and lesbian characters in many of here novels, although not protagonists.

I believe An Unofficial Rose has a fairly prominent lesbian relationship in it, although I don't think it's one of her better books - I loved A Fairly Honorable Defeat, and also A Severed Head, among others, though, but no lesbians there, that I can recall:-) Murdoch was a great writer, regardless.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #15
Ea
Wizard

I've never read anything by Murdoch, but her novels sound interesting.