Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #31
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
if it makes you feel better (although why should it), my appartement sure doesn't either. one more day of that really sever heat wave 5 (6 ?) years ago and i beleive i would actually have died.
Yikes! I was there in, let's see, in 2006. It was like 104 degrees farenheit (40c). Then the next year I went to Greece, and it reached 115 degrees (46c). I am never traveling abroad in the summer again. How hot was it six years ago?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Yikes! I was there in, let's see, in 2006. It was like 104 degrees farenheit (40c). Then the next year I went to Greece, and it reached 115 degrees (46c). I am never traveling abroad in the summer again. How hot was it six years ago?
5 / 6 years ago (i have no sense of time ) it was about like that, but 24/24 (literally, not even an hour of respite at 5 in the morning) for about 2 weeks or so. half the population over 60 died, it was a huge scandal. (okay, not half. but a lot of them.) and one really really stupid young guy died, because he thought it would be a good idea to get a tan by lying in full sunlight on a park bench at 2 in the afternoon on a 40° day. we just don't know how to handle the heat, except for the people living in the south who are used to it. even they thought it was a bit warm that summer.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #33
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
It's nice that the days are getting longer now.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #34
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
It's nice that the days are getting longer now.
my two six favorite words on the weather predictions : "2 more minutes of sun tomorrow..."
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #35
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
my two favorite words on the weather predictions : "2 more minutes of sun tomorrow..."

Um ... I make that 6 words.

Drop the word 'more' and you have a typical forecast for the UK.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #36
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Um ... I make that 6 words.
pfff. details, details.

Quote:
Drop the word 'more' and you have a typical forecast for the UK.
heh. you're making me glad to live on this side of the channel.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #37
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Snowy monday morning in Vancouver

It's -1 C in Vancouver. Airport (official site) has 30 cm of snow on the ground, making it one of the top 10 snowfalls of all time. Predicting first white Christmas since 1998.

The weatherman on local TV had to abandon his car and take a cab to work.

Everyone advised to stay at home or take transit (as if it isn't busy enough already).
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #38
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It was sunny here for a little while, but now overcast and more snow expected for tonight. I think we got about a foot over the past 24 hours, plus what we'd had before that. If we don't have a white Christmas at this point, it'll be because we're dealing with a major flood. (I shouldn't even have suggested that....)

I don't know what the actual temperature is. I'd call it "kinda cold." As in, "wear mittens if you're going to be out more than 5 or 10 minutes." Much nicer than "surely you don't expect me to go out in that???" which we had earlier this weekend.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #39
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
yeesh ! what does it take for them to close for the day ??
To close for the day, it has to be still snowing at around 4am with no obvious signs of stopping, generally. Though 2cm of ice and no power anywhere will do it, too.

It snows here a lot. If they closed every time we get a few inches of snow, we'd be shut from November to March. Oddly enough, the school year here extends from September to May. But the current university president is much better about closing than previous administrations have been. The official word has always been that our university has a "residential" campus so we're expected to continue as usual regardless of the weather. (Yeah, "residential." More than 50% of the students and probably more than 80% of the faculty and staff live in other towns.) The new guy seems to have a more realistic attitude.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #40
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Around the block.

Poor cold palm tree isn't used to this kind or any kind of snow.

Attachment 19689

To see more snowy photos come visit my album.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 02-16-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #41
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
It was sunny here for a little while, but now overcast and more snow expected for tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Poor cold palm tree isn't used to this kind or any kind of snow.

Oh, I envy you!!! Snow and a white Christmas, I would love that! Forecasts say we will have 7C and rain I´m thinking about buying this to let it snow, let is snow, let it snow....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schneekanone.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	19691  
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #42
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I froze my face real good this morning while clearing the snow from the driveway. Everything was going well until the wind picked up the snow jet from the snowblower and sent it right back at me... and being tough you never let go and trudge along... until it burns and the snow cake melts from your face. But by then it's over.

There's a weather joke here about a town up north.
A guy from Montréal decides to go north for a get together. There, he asks a local what they do during summer. The guy replys, "That day we go fishing".
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #43
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
There's a weather joke here about a town up north. A guy from Montréal decides to go north for a get together. There, he asks a local what they do during summer. The guy replys, "That day we go fishing".
Probably ice fishing.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #44
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Probably ice fishing.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #45
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Probably ice fishing.
Hey, yeah! I got to go see if the ice is hard enough!
Ice fishing here starts around Christmas. And mid january you can drive the car on the ice right next to the site. You can fish with the door of the car open and seated comfortably.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds and lightning and, hugo and lefty