Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #16
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I've got a Mac, so a lot of the Mobipocket creation software just doesn't work for me.

Is there a way to hand code mobipocket markup, like you can with html? If so, where can I find a list of the tags and what they do?
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Search this forum for "MobiPerl". It's a Mobi ebook maker written in Perl. (Perl is platform independent.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
From what I can figure out in Java code:
1) Grouping is enabled only for publication types "newspaper", "magazine" and "nownow".
2) For magazines and newspapers grouping is done by title.
3) For NowNow items group is extracted from xml in the "idenitifier" tag.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Presumably it knows that it's a subscription. Some "special case" handling for that, perhaps? This is pure speculation on my part!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #20
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
If I'm reading Igorsk's post correctly, all you would need is to set type to "newspaper" (as the WSJ example earlier does) and set the "Title" attribute to the Folder name you want to use. Then eveyr file which has type newpaper and the same Title attribute would be in shown as if in a folder and the Longtitle would be used once you enter the folder.

Igorsk: is that what the code does?

If so, I'm hoping to try setting a few books this way later today with mobi2mobi. It would be really great is if it were this simple because I'm guessing a simple GUI for creating folders could be done.

Of course your books would show up when you set it to view Periodicals only, but so what?
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
From what I can figure out in Java code:
1) Grouping is enabled only for publication types "newspaper", "magazine" and "nownow".
Is this the booktype thing? For WSJ this was called NEWS.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #22
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some good news

OK, I can now make folders!!
I used a command line like this:
mobi2mobi --outfile wsj4.mobi --booktype "257 - NEWS" --title "WSJ" kitty.mobi
to make the book Kitty Goes to Washington appear in the same folder as an actual enews file called (you guessed it) "WSJ" (The other "WSJ" file was created by Mobipocket Web Companion 4.9 and so has booktype "257 - NEWS" automatically).
The only problem is that since both have the title set to "WSJ" (the folder name) both appear as "WSJ" when you open the grouping.
On a real Kindle, something else is used to get the name inside the grouping. I know this both because the real newspapers have a "date" after the name and because one of my subscriptions ("Opinionated") changed the name that appears there after a couple of weeks and the older ones appear as one name, the newer ones as another.
The problem is I don't know what attribute the Kindle looks to to override "title" when show the members of the group?
Any ideas?
Igorsk, is it visible in the Java code?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
to make the book Kitty Goes to Washington appear in the same folder as an actual enews file called (you guessed it) "WSJ" (The other "WSJ" file was created by Mobipocket Web Companion 4.9 and so has booktype "257 - NEWS" automatically).
The only problem is that since both have the title set to "WSJ" (the folder name) both appear as "WSJ" when you open the grouping.
On a real Kindle, something else is used to get the name inside the grouping. I know this both because the real newspapers have a "date" after the name and because one of my subscriptions ("Opinionated") changed the name that appears there after a couple of weeks and the older ones appear as one name, the newer ones as another.
The problem is I don't know what attribute the Kindle looks to to override "title" when show the members of the group?
Any ideas?
"--booktype 257" is the correct flag. Your variant probably worked because when the string "257 - NEWS" was converted to a number it was converted to 257.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Any ideas?
If you run mobi2mobi on the files were the name was changed can you see the names that appear in the output?

It isn't the publishing date that is shown?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
This command does not work for me, nor does any variation of it. I've tried it on a group of 3 ebooks. They still show up as 3 ebooks, not one.

Tompe, what are the possible entries for booktype? I want to try them.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #26
slm
Fool

I set the "title" to the same name ("WSJ") in this case, because Igorsk's email says that the grouping is by title. Together with the 257 booktype, this makes a group. The trouble is that they all show up in the group with the same name ("WSJ") in this case. If I set the publication date, it will show to the right of the title.

So I got a "group" called WSJ,
Each item was called "WSJ" some with dates
Some of the items really were the wall street journal, others were Kitty Goes to Washington when you open it.

This doesn't really work very well because the all the items look them same except for dates. I guess you could use it for a series of books by setting the dates January 1, January 2, etc to indicate which book in the series it is.

I tried inserting other information from the EXTH list but it didn't show up on the contents page. I also tried supplying a string that to publicaiton date that wasn't interpretable, but that caused the book to be taken out of the grouping.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #27
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This command does not work for me, nor does any variation of it. I've tried it on a group of 3 ebooks. They still show up as 3 ebooks, not one.

Tompe, what are the possible entries for booktype? I want to try them.
The ones I know about are:
Code:
my %booktypedesc = (2 => "BOOK",
                    3 => "PALMDOC",
                    4 => "AUDIO",
                    257 => "NEWS",
                    258 => "NEWS_FEED",
                    259 => "NEWS_MAGAZINE",
                    513 => "PICS",
                    514 => "WORD",
                    515 => "XLS",
                    516 => "PPT",
                    517 => "TEXT",
                    518 => "HTML",
                   );
Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Bob Butler and GatorDeb seem to have this completely sorted out in Is there a program that will merge prc files and.... The command is:

mobi2mobi filename.prc --title "foldername" --author "book title" --booktype "257" --outfile kindlefilename.prc

The trick is that the folder name is taken from the title field (we knew that), and the title is now taken from the author field.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #29
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Well, two folders were created beautifully but three folders refuse to appear. I've done the EXACT same thing to ALL files, and only two folders are cooperating. I cannot figure it out. The books themselves ceased to appear also (so something IS being changed, but no idea why it refuses to show the other folders).
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote