Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 15 16.48%
Killing Floor by Lee Child 20 21.98%
Boston Blackie by Jack Boyle 6 6.59%
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky 12 13.19%
Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E.W. Horning 8 8.79%
Skinwalkers by Tony Hillerman 8 8.79%
Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout 7 7.69%
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters 6 6.59%
White Seed: The Untold Story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by MR member Paul Clayton 6 6.59%
The Tin Roof Blowdown: A Dave Robicheaux Novel by James Lee Burke 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Anyone else reading Killing Floor? Are you liking it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #92
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not yet, but seeing as to how many people here at MR have been praising it, I think I'm going to have to pick it up!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #93
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Not yet, but seeing as to how many people here at MR have been praising it, I think I'm going to have to pick it up!
Read it. Finished it. Liked it enough to pick up the second in the series.

That said, it's probably not for everybody. It's extremely violent at times. The violence is graphic and sometimes gory. If that's a problem, you probably should skip it.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Read it. Finished it. Liked it enough to pick up the second in the series.

That said, it's probably not for everybody. It's extremely violent at times. The violence is graphic and sometimes gory. If that's a problem, you probably should skip it.
I didn't find it really any more gory/graphic then what you see on say Criminal Minds.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #95
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
I didn't find it really any more gory/graphic then what you see on say Criminal Minds.
Don't know Criminal Minds but there are folks who would find the violence a turnoff.

Last edited by jgaiser; 09-08-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Sometimes I write faster than I think :)
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #96
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
About 55% in now. Should finish tonight. Liking it quite a bit more, now. Story has picked up.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #97
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I finished it a couple of days ago and loved it. Here's what I had to say about it (no spoilers):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...42#post1099642
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #98
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Started it this morning. Like it quite a bit so far.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #99
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by limawhiskey View Post
Two chapters in and it's hooked me.
Me too. Maybe I'm not far enough in but I'm not finding it exceptionally violent and I am not one for graphic gore.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #100
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Al Gore has nothing to do with this book!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #101
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Me too. Maybe I'm not far enough in but I'm not finding it exceptionally violent and I am not one for graphic gore.
I agree. The bit in prison, at the start of the book, is as bad as it gets. There is a little more later, but it's not really any worse than that first part. And given the setting (prison) it seemed appropriate to me.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #102
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I agree. The bit in prison, at the start of the book, is as bad as it gets. There is a little more later, but it's not really any worse than that first part. And given the setting (prison) it seemed appropriate to me.
Really? I thought that was fairly mild compared to what you see in some movies and even TV shows these days.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #103
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Those of us who dislike seeing violence may not be WATCHing the same shows! I sure don't. But I'm saying I did like that this character was able to protect himself, given the situation he was in, and the persons he was encountering.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do agree that the violence is not excessive given the settings.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #105
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The violence is graphic, but necessary to the story in my opinion. These are bad people he is confronting. They do bad things, and they rule by fear.