Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Alnilam
Alnilam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
e-Mail on Kindle DX

I sent an e-mail from my computer to my Kindle URL (xxxx@kindle.com)
It doesn't seem to have arrived and I find no mention of e-mail on my settings.

Where did I go wrong? I know I am supposed to be able to send e-mail to my device with, for example, pdf attachments.

Tnx again.
Alnilam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Your Kindle email is not for sending regular emails, it's a way to send content to your Kindle. It's more like an identifier for your Kindle.

When you send an email with a document a attached to "yourkindlename@kindle.com", it tells Amazon which Kindle to send the converted document to (whatever document to attach will be converted to a non-DRM Kindle book file).

A work around, is to put whatever email message you want to send in a text file and attach that to your email and it will show up on your Kindle as a "book".
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Alnilam

I sent another e-mail to my Kindle with a pdf attachment. I think the DX is supposed to read pdfs directly. Nothing appears to have arrived at the Kindle. Would it show up on the Home page?

Thank you for trying.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnilam View Post
I sent another e-mail to my Kindle with a pdf attachment. I think the DX is supposed to read pdfs directly. Nothing appears to have arrived at the Kindle. Would it show up on the Home page?

Thank you for trying.
Did you make sure you added the email address you used to send the pdf to your approved list? Go to your Manage Your Kindle page to add it if haven't already
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	email.PNG
Views:	724
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	32616  
Old 07-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Alnilam

That was the ticket! I was using a different sending URL. Thank you for all the help. I'm learning!
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
That was the ticket! I was using a different sending URL. Thank you for all the help. I'm learning!
Great! Glad to help.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Alnilam

Final procedural question. I just got a charge of 15 cents for sending myself a pdf. I thought that, on the DX, pdfs didn't require any conversion and therefore incurred no cost. I suspect, again, it is in the way I sent this to my Kindle, via xxx.kindle.com.

What is the correct (free) way of transferring pdfs from computer to Kindle DX?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not the conversion that costs money, but the wireless transmission.

Simply copy the file from your PC to the Kindle via the USB connection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Final procedural question. I just got a charge of 15 cents for sending myself a pdf. I thought that, on the DX, pdfs didn't require any conversion and therefore incurred no cost. I suspect, again, it is in the way I sent this to my Kindle, via xxx.kindle.com.

What is the correct (free) way of transferring pdfs from computer to Kindle DX?
The charge isn't for the conversion, it's for sending the document to your Kindle via Whispernet.

The best way to transfer content is via the USB cable. Connect the Kindle to your computer and it will be seen as a mass storage USB device in Windows Explorer. Drag and drop the content into the "documents" folder. Right click on the KindleDX drive and select "Eject" or "Safely Remove" (I think you drag the drive to the trash on a Mac but I'm not sure) from the menu, then disconnect the USB cable and you're done. This is the easiest method.

You can also use Calibre to manage your content and have it send content to your Kindle via USB. This method is more useful when you are making changes to the documents metadata or converting from one format to another.