Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
movieking
movieking began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Request/Questions About Sorting and Navigation

I used this great program pretty much daily, and there are two things that I would like to be able to use calibre to do, but I don't think that I can do it now (or I can't figure it out). I've done a search, but couldn't really find anything (not to say the information isn't there, but just probably hidden due to the large number of posts):

1. Be able to sort the Author field by what is actually in the author field rather than what is the in the author sort field. Since the author field tends to be first name last name, by sorting on that field, I'd like to see it sorted by first name last name, rather than what is in the author sort field, which tends to be last name first name (I also find that this particular field is often a combination of differing naming conventions). Maybe even adding the author sort column to the layout, so both would be available for sorting.

2. Be able to navigate to the next or previous book while in the "edit metadata individually" screen.

Like I said, maybe there is a way to do this now so if there is, please let me know. Otherwise, I'd like to see these features added to this awesome program.
movieking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I suggested the Author field issue in a bug a long time ago. (At the very least, there needs to be an option for an Author Sort column listing instead.)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For 2 select all the books you want to edit the metadata for. click the arrow next to the edit metadata button and select edit metadata individually. Now it will have the behavior you want
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
movieking
movieking began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Thanks for the tip, it works perfectly.

How about the sort by author feature? Is there a way to do that now, or if not, will one be added in the future?
movieking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not on my TODO list, but patches are welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
oldcrow74
oldcrow74 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-700bc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's not on my TODO list, but patches are welcome
I know I'm being a PITA, but I don't understand why you don't seem to think this is a big deal. I've been a computer programmer and data managment consultant for 34 years. One of the most basic of design concepts is that the sort order of a column of data matches the data display. If The column displays last-name, first-name it should sort on last-name, first-name. To make it worse, a name like Cooper, James Fenimore sorts with the Fs. This is a no-brainer. This alone is making me not want to use Calibre. It's just too frustrating.

Sorry for venting, but I've spent hours upon hours just trying to load my files into the Calibre library and get a simple display by author.
oldcrow74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:31 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorting on author surname is the normal thing to do. When did you ever see a list of books arranged by the first name of their authors?

I am entirely in agreement with Kovid about this one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
oldcrow74
oldcrow74 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-700bc
That's my point. Did you actually read my post? Or did i confuse you by using the term "last name" instead of "surname"? OK, I want to sort on surname. The same way the column is displayed. But it is sorting on first name. Or middle name if there is one. Or sometimes just randomly. Simply put, I want it to sort the same way it is displayed. I don't want it to display properly as surname, first name - title but have it sorted as (sometimes) first name, surname - title. I want the simple option to have it display by the author name field, not the author sort field.

Why is this such a freaking hard concept to grasp?
oldcrow74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Does the book metadata have this?:

Author: Cooper, James Fenimore
Author Sort: Fenimore, Cooper, James

That would be the only way it would sort it with the F's, and the solution is to write the right Author Sort: "Cooper, James Fenimore" (and you could change Author, if you wish, which you probably don't, to "James Fenimore Cooper").
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrow74 View Post
I know I'm being a PITA, but I don't understand why you don't seem to think this is a big deal. I've been a computer programmer and data managment consultant for 34 years. One of the most basic of design concepts is that the sort order of a column of data matches the data display. If The column displays last-name, first-name it should sort on last-name, first-name. To make it worse, a name like Cooper, James Fenimore sorts with the Fs. This is a no-brainer. This alone is making me not want to use Calibre. It's just too frustrating.

Sorry for venting, but I've spent hours upon hours just trying to load my files into the Calibre library and get a simple display by author.
Because there is nothing wrong with the way it's set up currently?

The field is highlighted Author, the author's name is James Fenimore Cooper. If you have set-up the author sort field to have Cooper, James Fenimore it is correctly interpreting Cooper as the surname and sorting by that (only if you click on author, which as per convention means to sort by that heading).

If the name is actually James Fenimore-Cooper then you would actually need the hyphon to make it a properly defined double-barrelled name (and therefore sortable on F), other wise Calibre (correctly) interprets the Fenimore as a middle name.

If you want it set-up to sort by James Fenimore Cooper simply copy the name into the author sort field. about the only thing Calibre really needs is an option to do that by default, which given the current method is the universally accepted way of actually searching/sorting for an author obviously isnt going to be a priority.

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Prior to 0.6.6 Calibre incorrectly "inverted" author names on import, so a book with an author of:

Trollope, Anthony

would end up with an author sort field of:

Anthony, Trollope,

so it sorted under "A" rather than under "T".

This has been fixed in 0.6.6.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:05 AM   #12
Caramelia
Caramelia began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ebook Reader PRS-505
Not fixed

Sorry to say so, but this Problem is not fixed.

My books are all named like this: surname, first name - series+index - title, because the sony reader only sorts by author surname this way.

Now if I'm adding new books to calibre, it gets the author field correctly (surname, first name) but the sort by author field is first name, surname, thus the sorting by author does not work.

It's a real pain in the ass to always have to change this in manually in the sort by author field. Would it really be so very hard to include some kind of setting possibilities? Like you can change how calibre is to read the data from the filename, why can't you change the order the author field data is imported in the sort by author field.

I'd really really really appreciate that.

Last edited by Caramelia; 08-26-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Caramelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This is strange. For Mobi books at least, Calibre correctly handles author metadata in both "firstname lastname" and "lastname, firstname" formats, correctly setting the "author sort" field to "lastname, firstname" in both cases. What format is it that you're importing?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
GinoAMelone
GinoAMelone began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile
I have to agree with Caramelia, I just downloaded 0.6.8 yesterday and imported my first several hundred eBooks. One of the reasons I wanted to use Calibre was to deal with the mess of naming conventions my current collection has.

I've got books from the same author listed differently. Some seem to have come in correctly, some are jumbled. It almost looks like the comma (,) gets parsed as a separator in a list of author names sometimes.

I'd agree that having the ability to select different versions of the Author column would be a useful feature. I'd think "Smart Author" (the current column), "Author Name" and "Author Sort" would work well.

What about looking into using one of the meta-data look-up sites to try to auto-fix names? It should be possible to identify that "Asimov, Isaac" is "Isaac Asimov" but that "Ringo, Cochrane" isn't a single person.
GinoAMelone is offline   Reply With Quote