Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
josecastanon1
josecastanon1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
converting files to lrf in Ebook library

Hi guys, i´ve been using calibre for about 6 months now, until recently mi 505 started to crash , and crash , and loading times increased considerably, so i decided to install a virtual machine in my mac and use sony´s software, reprocessing lrfs generated in calibre from htmls and rtfs, the resulting files have been quite fast and stable ,the thing is now that im wondering if i can convert files within ebook library, it seem that only a doc. to rtf conversion is possible , this people asumes I´m buying all of my lrfs from their store?
thanks again
josecastanon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
You can load the rtf's onto the reader without conversion. For the htmls you can use Calibre or BookDesigner.

I don't see what the problem is using Calibre to convert. The only problem with Calibre is if you load some books using Calibre and some using Sony Library. Personally, I have done that many times without problem, but some have reported that it is not that good of an idea.

The load time problem you report with Calibre is to be expected. The Sony Library has an algorithim that can paginate books during the transfer. Calibre does not do that so the books are paginated on the reader the first time you open them.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Another option might be to try using Calibre but generate ePub, not LRF, as these don't have the loading time issue.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no file conversion in eBook Library other then DOC to RTF. So you'll have to do it in Calibre and then load via eBook Library.

Of course, you could remove OS X and install Windows on your MAC and then you would not have to dual-boot or VM. Plus you'd have access to more eBook tools then you do now.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, conversion, library, lrf, prs