Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #61
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
I'm just wondering what the easiest way to split it would be.

I could use Calibre's save to disc function, then remove all available formats from Calibre so I would still have a record of everything in Calibre, then make a custom column to indicate they are on my external hard drive.

Does anyone have an easier way or any tips?
If you have the space, I'd just save --everything-- to your hard drive, regardless. Then change out your flash drive as you get books read or decide you want different ones. Or just leave them all in Calibre, and just change out your flash drive as the mood strikes.

Then you won't have to worry about copying your read books to the hard drive for save keeping if you know everything is there already.

When you plug in your flash drive, you'll see what's on it through Calibre. No need to make a column.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #62
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I have gone with making two libraries, one with everything I might read this year and the other with everything else, the space on my laptop is not the problem. the problem was the space on my flashdrive.

It's cheaper to buy an external hard drive than a flash drive big enough for my needs.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #63
mbmr
mbmr began at the beginning.

Device: nook
no i have thousands

Last edited by mbmr; 06-06-2013 at 11:45 AM.
mbmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, it is possible to have too many eBooks. You can only read so many books. So take the number of books you'll be able to read before you die and any over that number is too many.
A flawed argument, given that I don't know in advance what I'm going to be in the mood for reading in the future. My reading tastes have changed considerably over the last 30 years; should I be fortunate enough to live another 30 years, I dare say they'll continue to change.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #65
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Maybe some of us should reduce our reading and obsession in obtaining ebooks and work more on the book of life.... The one we do everyday....that takes more commitment and energy... alas.. I prefer books...love the escape... legal...in most countries...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #66
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Rather than go to the expense of buying a 64g flash drive I have decided to split my library. Everything I think I might read in the next year is staying on my Main flash drive and everything else is going to be backed up on my external hard drives..
I'm just wondering what the easiest way to split it would be.
I could use Calibre's save to disc function, then remove all available formats from Calibre so I would still have a record of everything in Calibre, then make a custom column to indicate they are on my external hard drive.
Does anyone have an easier way or any tips?
Create new calibre library called long-storage or watever... located on your external HDD.
Go back to main library, select all the books you want to archive, then right click, and choose the option Move To Library -->
This will move them all to the selected library, and they will still be listed in calibre, but stored to the hard drive.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #67
Bronte
Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
As an avid reader myself, you can never have too many books. I have 502, I think. I've read a few, but I'm trying to catch up on my print books first.
Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #68
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Yes, it is possible. I cannot have what is not essential, so unreadable books won't lumber my valuable free space in life.

#minimalism
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #69
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I must be a weird animal. I don't hoard at all. The most books I bought was 6 in a row before 2 weeks leave with no internet. One of them I still haven't read (bought 2 years ago) but since then I lost interest. I found out that if I buy just because there is promo then I am not likely to read any time soon if at all. So I go from one to another buying what I feel like reading at the moment, and not because I don't know what I may feel like reading in some future. There was a lesson for me in this, last year I bought 4 books for holiday, started one of them and abandoned because it was not good. That put me off the rest as well. I came back to them much later because I had nothing else to read and one of them was for me the best book I read in a looong time.

So, I just buy one by one depending on my mood of the moment. Bought recently Misery by Stephen King because of promo and now I don't feel like reading it. Tonight I will buy Borgia's Family (roughly translated title I guess) by Mario Puzo. Looking forward to it because it's for immediate consumption.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote