Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
International disabled persons access

With the wonderful international flavor we have here, I’m amazed that I haven’t thought to ask sooner. My wife is wheelchair bound, and that has caused me to avoid thinking about international travel. She has a power chair, and we even have a travel power chair that easily disassembles to manageable sized pieces that will fit in the trunk (boot) of a car. But I wonder about access in other nations.

Here is the US we have the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) which dictates accommodations for disabled persons in all public facilities. Things like curb cuts (ramps) at street crossings, elevators and access ramps in all public buildings, disabled parking places, extra wide stalls in public restrooms, etc. You would be amazed how most people don’t notice a step or two until they have to try to get over them in a wheelchair.

I am aware that the EU has a law similar to the ADA, and I believe Australia, NZ and Japan may also have one, but I’m not sure. What I don’t know is about other places on the Pacific Rim, places like Mexico or Thailand or Korea or Hong Kong or Singapore or India.

I traveled a bit in my younger days with the US Navy, but that was years ago and much has changed since. And things like curb cuts didn’t impress me much then, so admittedly I really don’t remember who had what.

What say you? Is your country disabled persons friendly?

Last edited by wodin; 08-15-2013 at 07:54 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I _think_ most of Canada does accommodation pretty well, but not perfectly.
Toronto has curb cuts almost everywhere, but not all subway stations have elevators (yet), for example . At least the systems maps show which ones do and don't. The buses mostly have lowering steps, and a wheelchair lift, plus spaces to strap it in.
I could ask me daughter about Vancouver. I'm not sure if there is a national policy.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
We have laws about discrimination and accessibility in Australia, but enforcement is a joke. Anyone who takes an organisation/business to court puts themselves up for tens of thousands of dollars of costs in the event of a loss. In reality the whole system rests on goodwill vs fear of bad publicity, and therefore fails to provide access a lot of the time.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote