Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Do you use Evernote etc to keep book type info in?

I come across so much 'interesting' stuff on the web re books (and every darn thing lol), that I installed Evernote some time ago now and my golly it gets some use.

It's free and I use it on my PC, lap top, phone and tablet (it auto syncs).

Here are some of the notebook names relating to books:

Books
Book buying sites
Calibre
Paper Back books read, therefore not in Calibre
Copyright
DRM
E Libraries
Specific authors ....

And then there are Notebooks on heaps of other non book stuff, even Beer!!

I also use Wunderlist to remind me to do stuff generally, book and non book related.

So, I'm curious what software do you use to keep your non Calibre and book related info in?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
In my Evernote I keep a listing of my most used sites and their passwords. A complete listing of certain authors and their books in order. My blue-ray collection (300+) my CD collection (1500+) so I don't rebuy something. A few ebooks that I like having in the cloud.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Well, I'd never heard of this, so I went over to the Evernote website to see how it works. First I had to waste time looking at a video that provided zilch in the way of actual information. (There are some of us who prefer to READ rather than watch video!) Then I found a "Getting Started" section, which tells me to download and install and create an online account. Um, I'd like to know what the heck it is and how it works before I install! So I'm done--it sounds like MS Office's OneNote, plus I just don't have time to wade through the site trying to get to useful infomation.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
All my book stuff is in Calibre and Goodreads. Every other kind of notes, I prefer to have in paper and good old ink.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
EverNote download links and feature summary

Not much in the way of tutorials though, but they do file hosting, not tutorials.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thanks, but I'm over it. If the official site is so poorly organized and confusing, I'm not going to even attempt to deal with the software. If they can't concisely offer an explanation at the outset, it's simply not for me.

I have no patience anymore. None at all.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Here are some of the notebook names relating to books:

Books
Book buying sites
Calibre
Paper Back books read, therefore not in Calibre
Copyright
DRM
E Libraries
Specific authors ....
I haven't found it necessary to track all that info at all, but I'm gradually starting to use Evernote for other things. It came in very handy for taking notes in a seminar a couple weeks ago, and I've been keeping a variety of job search related info in there (hopefully done with that for a while). I also use the widget on my phone for shopping lists or anything else I want handy for quick reference.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks, but I'm over it. If the official site is so poorly organized and confusing, I'm not going to even attempt to deal with the software. If they can't concisely offer an explanation at the outset, it's simply not for me.
In my experience, "the official site" is rarely a good place to get a grasp of software (or books, or music, or pretty much any product). Look for reviews, guides, and user comments on independent sites. Lifehacker.com is a solid source for productivity software, and you can check the writers' opinion against the comments to get a decently rounded perspective. Evernote is mostly right to assume that if you've made it to their website, you already have some idea why you're there.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
And for some new applications you have to start to use it to realize how useful it is. I would describe evernote as taking notes that you can sort in notbooks or tag that are then synchronized across all your devices. And you can search your notes.

I have my book list in dropbox but I use Evernote to take notes about book for book circles since I need to take notes everywhere were I read.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I don't use Evernote but one of its interesting features is the paid version has OCR capability on uploads. It is a highly regarded mobile note application but Catlady is right about getting most of its functionality from MS OneNote or many other competing apps. Evernote has a very loyal (maybe just vocal, lol) fan club.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I've never figured out why I would use EverNote as opposed to emailing notes to myself in Gmail, using Google Docs (sorry, Gdrive now), or text files in Dropbox.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you people, there's been some interesting answers here!!

I like to consider how other people keep their 'stuff' together to see if there are programs I don't know about and also to identify new ways to catalogue or maintain my info etc.

Since I started using Evernote last year sometime I've become to use it more and more frequently as my major information repository for pretty much anything that I think I may need in the future.

The advantage is that it syncs across all my platforms so I can refer to it or add to it as and when required.

One Note from memory is not cloud based, but local to each computer?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
warrinj
ebook dabbler
warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle2 Int, iPad2, iPhone5c
@penforhire

Evernote has been around for at least ten or fifteen years before MS OneNote appeared. I use it; it is not a be-all-end-all; and its owners alienated a bunch of users with a major version change back in the early aughts. But it works, it is flexible, and it is at least as cross-platform broad as dropbox (which I know is a different kind of beast). OneNote is a pale shadow in comparison.
warrinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Yes Warrinj the last time I used One Note I thought it was pretty darn awful and inflexible, however I've no doubt there've been many improvements since.

I think of Evernote as being much much more than a simple 'bookmark' system, although it's genesis may have been from bookmarks .....

There are many features to it that I haven't used, and some don't apply to my Blackberry platform, but I have used the camera and video options when comparing white good options that I wanted to purchase, eg fridges, washing machines. Evernote provides an excellent mobile platform in that regard.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-22-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
In my experience, "the official site" is rarely a good place to get a grasp of software (or books, or music, or pretty much any product). Look for reviews, guides, and user comments on independent sites. Lifehacker.com is a solid source for productivity software, and you can check the writers' opinion against the comments to get a decently rounded perspective. Evernote is mostly right to assume that if you've made it to their website, you already have some idea why you're there.
Thank you for the Lifehacker info, I'll check it out.

-------------------------

Here's how the Aus site describes itself in About Us:

Part technology guide, part productivity tool, Lifehacker helps you organise your workday and maximise your playtime. We provide tips for technology and for life which you can use to make yourself more productive, with an emphasis on free software and tools you can put to use online.

Lifehacker Australia runs all the best tips and posts from the US, eliminating the ones that are irrelevant for Aussies and adding our own daily helping of tips and tricks with an Australian focus. If you want to access the US site, you can go to us.lifehacker.com.

Our tips are sorted into seven main categories – Communicate, Design, Fix, Money, Organise, Travel and Work – and tagged so they’re easy to browse and locate.

I note that there's a choice of the US or Japan sites to flick to.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.