Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Author sort on Kindle Touch

Does the author sort field work on the Kindle Touch? I've made sure all my authors are of the format: "Author: Isaac Asimov", and "Author Sort: Asimov, Isaac" yet when my books are sorted by author on the Kindle Touch, the authors are always sorted by first name, the Author Sort field is ignored. Am I doing something wrong, or does this feature simply not work on the Kindle Touch yet? How do other Touch users get around this? Thanks.
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The problem isn't Kindle Touch specific, the author_sort data isn't used by MOBI. Fortunately there is an easy way to change author to author_sort when you convert to MOBI:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In Preferences->Output Options->MOBI set the "Use author_sort as author" option. And never fear, if anyone needs to be laughed at in this situation, it is Amazon, for creating an ebook format with no support for author sort names.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
guspasho
Connoisseur

Output Options is under Conversion. Does this mean I have to convert all my books?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
guspasho
Connoisseur

So I tried this and, instead of my books being sorted correctly, I ended up with duplicate copies on the Touch but with Calibre only recognizing one copy on the device. Can I get some more help here? I've read other topics but it's surprisingly difficult to follow what other people are trying to do.

EDIT: After trying another upload, after doing nothing (I think), it worked.

Last edited by guspasho; 01-23-2012 at 01:35 AM.