Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Reading on my Replenish

New to Android here! I love my new Samusng Replenish phone. I have the Amazon and Kobo reading aps on it. I am using the Amazon ap and it is great. My next book will be read using the Kobo ap and I look forward to that.

I have no problem seeing small (I'm 38, so, in 5-10 years, not so much but, for now, I can). I still like my Kobo better for reading because I can read one-handed with that but not the cellphone but the cell is a great companion to it. Now I can read in the dark or in bright daylight.

As irony would have it, I just ordered a Literati for reading in the dark, lcd, and color but then I lost my old cell phone and Sprint had this phone for free. I think I'll give the Literati to a friend for her birthday. I'll load up some Gutenberg books on it for her.

Anyway, I didn't think I'd be able to read on a phone but I can. Reading with it when I go to bed harkens back to childhood nights of sneaking a book and flashlight under the covers.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Anyway, I didn't think I'd be able to read on a phone but I can. Reading with it when I go to bed harkens back to childhood nights of sneaking a book and flashlight under the covers.
That's how I ended up with glasses and practically ruined by eyes. I kept doing this after childhood with booklights, not for the sneak factor, but just so I wouldn't have to mess with holding my book towards the ceiling light or shutting the lights off after I was done.

Backlit mobile devices, contrary to conventional wisdom (which, before the iPad was vehemently against reading books on backlit devices), are what saved my eyes. Around 2003 as some early ebook stores were finally getting ebooks I wanted, I switched my night reading over to my Palm m500, a monochrome device with a greenish backlight. I used to get new prescriptions every other year, I've had only one minor adjustment in one eye in the past 8 years. Even using more modern color LCDs, I've emulated my m500's color scheme and received similar benefits. Green (or even sometimes a sharp purple) text on a black background has always worked well for me.

Moonplus reader is my preferred Android software, but Aldiko is pretty good as well. Kindleware is okay, but seemed a little sparse on customization options to me.

Quote:
I still like my Kobo better for reading because I can read one-handed with that
This is actually the reason I love my Touch Pro2. It has a slide out keyboard and tilting screen, and is very comfortable to hold with one hand even while I lay on my back. My thumb falls naturally over the arrow keys, allowing me to comfortably turn pages without any reaching. If page turning is your issue, you might look into auto-scroll if you don't mind reading at a set pace.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Moonplus, eh? I'll look into it. I finished one book and about 1/4 of another on my Replenish. I really like reading on it but I don't think I could do with it what you do with your Rouch Pro2 for reading one-handed. Also, the battery life is much less than the Kobo's, of course and I forgot my charger at home, Wah!

Anyway, it makes an awesome back-up to dtBooks and the Kobo. Plus, you can't argue with free, which it was with my Sprint sign-up!

Here's a pic...

http://twitpic.com/5dkeh7
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Interesting form factor. Just pulled up a review and it's a cool device you got there.

Quote:
I forgot my charger at home, Wah!
You should have snagged the optional solar battery cover.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
yeah, love reading while on the bus. Gotta say I use only one hand though: the side volume buttons turn pages.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert