Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
sonicware
sonicware began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Unhappy PE Stuck on boot screen

I recently got a PE from Woot, updated it to 2.2 and it was working pretty well. But now whenever I turn it on it just stays on the boot screen. Before the PE had started acting up, I was trying to install an app (idr which one). But the package installer was taking for ever and I just shut down the device. The 4 lights (the ones on the boot screen) turn on and it just stays like that until it runs out of battery.
I have tried re-upgrading 2.2 and downgrading back to dingo but the same thing still happens.
Can anyone help? I was just finally beginning to enjoy using the device.
sonicware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
emilya
emilya began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Hello, I got mine off Woot too and yesterday had the same issue after attempting to root. After several tries I was able to downgrade to 1.6. Turned out my USB drive was fat, not fat32. Changing the drive formatting helped the downgrade work. After that I upgraded back to 2.2 and it is woorking great. Typos aside. :P
emilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicware View Post
I recently got a PE from Woot, updated it to 2.2 and it was working pretty well. But now whenever I turn it on it just stays on the boot screen. Before the PE had started acting up, I was trying to install an app (idr which one). But the package installer was taking for ever and I just shut down the device. The 4 lights (the ones on the boot screen) turn on and it just stays like that until it runs out of battery.
I have tried re-upgrading 2.2 and downgrading back to dingo but the same thing still happens.
Can anyone help? I was just finally beginning to enjoy using the device.
Have you tried a straightened paperclip in the reset hole?
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
sonicware

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilya View Post
Hello, I got mine off Woot too and yesterday had the same issue after attempting to root. After several tries I was able to downgrade to 1.6. Turned out my USB drive was fat, not fat32. Changing the drive formatting helped the downgrade work. After that I upgraded back to 2.2 and it is woorking great. Typos aside. :P
I've been using a 16 gb micro sd (fat32 but I'll reformat it and try it again just to be sure). I'll see if I can find a spare usb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Have you tried a straightened paperclip in the reset hole?
Yup. That has been the only way I can shut it off after it get's stuck on the boot screen.

One more thing. Each time I try to upgrade/downgrade the update.zip file gets deleted. So I guess the edge is doing something.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
I seem to remember something about downgrading to dingo requires 2 tries in a row. If unsuccessful you might try downloading the file again sometimes things get corrupted. Try searching the forum for downgrade to dingo. I wish I could be more help but I've not had to downgrade myself - maybe someone who has can chime in. I'm a little puzzled by the zip file disappearing - I don't remember that happening during my upgrade which went OK after Iused a fat usb. Luck
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
emilya
emilya began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
RE the update file disappearing off the USB - this happened to me all times I tried to update, whether successful or not. I believe it's intended behavior.
emilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
Probably so it's been so long I can't remember.(as in over a week) Still I wonder why it would be removed you might need it again if things didn't go as planned. I'm sure there's a reason though.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
sonicware

Unhappy I've tried everything

I've tried upgrading/downgrading with both a 16 sd card and a 8 gb usb. I've tried every update.zip I could find and have gotten the same results ever time.

The "Pocket Edge is Updating" will show up for a couple of seconds and then the PE will restart and return to it's broken state.

I know the file is being access b/c the usb led blinks and the zip is deleted, but they seem to have no effect.

Any other ideas guys?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
sonicware

Talking Fixed it!

Finally got the PE working by using the modified update.golden.zip found on this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143035

Not sure what messed the PE up in the first place, but glad it's fixed now!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Whew! Congratulations!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote