Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Conversions stuck at .....

I have a few azw3 and mobi files (about 5 total) that I am trying to convert to epub... The conversion starts but kinda just stalls at 47%....always 47%. Others convert just fine.

Anyone got any suggestions?!

Thank you,
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@gabby98 - be patient - some conversions take a long time. The progress % is non linear, it moves in steps so it can look stuck - let it run overnight. Apparently some conversions have been known to take more than 24 hours - just of one book

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
I have a few azw3 and mobi files (about 5 total) that I am trying to convert to epub... The conversion starts but kinda just stalls at 47%....always 47%. Others convert just fine.
Every time I have had one that got stuck, it worked after unchecking the "enable heuristic processing" (might not be exact wording) in the conversion settings. Try that.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@gabby98 - be patient - some conversions take a long time. The progress % is non linear, it moves in steps so it can look stuck - let it run overnight. Apparently some conversions have been known to take more than 24 hours - just of one book

BR
I had a feeling that was gonna be it....I will have to give patience a try for a change. : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Every time I have had one that got stuck, it worked after unchecking the "enable heuristic processing" (might not be exact wording) in the conversion settings. Try that.
That will be my back up/combo plan

Ty
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
For anyone else reading this thread calibre conversions do not get stuck. The book may take forever to convert. The conversion of the book may run out of memory or run into any number of fatal errors that kill the process and report an error.

I can count on 2 fingers of one hand the number of times over the last 4 years that someone said calibre got stuck while converting and we could not quickly figure out what was actually happening on their machine. I cannot recall the end result, but it may have been a regression between updates that Kovid fixed in the subsequent release.

While that means there may be the remotest of possibilities that a conversion may get stuck the odds are severely stacked against anyone actually experiencing a conversion that truly got stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Good observation and advice. Heuristic processing can take quite a bit of time on some books and unchecking that option will bypass the time required by heuristic processing and speed up the conversion greatly. But heuristic processing is not a known cause of the conversion process getting "stuck."

It is however, a known cause of folks thinking the conversion process is stuck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
gabby98
Wizard

So I checked and heuristic processing was already unchecked.

So far patience has worked for 2 of the 5 files (77/113 min to process) and one actually gave an error, will post that one later lol

Fingers crossed the other two will work
Old 10-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@gabby98 - good plug in that, patience I mean, forbearance is also not bad

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
gabby98
Wizard

Yea, it took the other two book 55 and 133 minutes to complete but they finally did without any errors.

Is there a way to tell calibre how many conversions to process at one time? I'm pretty sure there is, I just can't remember where I go to do so. AS for the error message I got on the other book, Is it bad form to post it in this thread? Should I start a new thread for that one?

ETA: Never mind, started new thread for those with errors.

Last edited by gabby98; 10-02-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
All books I've ever had problems with, and gave up on, being told there was no suitable format for them, were/are AZW - AZW3 seems to present no problems ..... so far ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
As a rider to the original query - the time spent for some conversions - some books take ages to install on the device, but when you install on another, or any subsequent, the transfer is done in a flash, as if it took the first job to clear the way ..............
Is this a matter of the path being plotted, as it were ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No its the time taken to convert the book to the appropriate format, which only happens the first time you send it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote