pliz
pliz began at the beginning.

Device: nook
helloworld plugin does nothing

Here is how to replicate:

1. Ubuntu 9.10
2. Install calibre by
Quote:
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
3. Download the zip file suggested in documentation
4. Install it by:
Quote:
calibre-customize -a helloworld_plugin.zip
5. Open calibre, check the plugin is installed
6. Try converting an .fb2 book to epub
7. Open epub with view in specific format and check metadata

Publisher is unchanged from previous (NONE in my case)

What am I doing wrong? I'd like to scrap a plugin for postprocessing epubs after conversion to include fonts and necessary corrections. However, can't even start since the only examle python plugin I could find (helloworld) does not even work for me.

Suggestions are welcomed!
pliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC that plugin only works for LRF output. If you're looking for example plugins, the calibre source code is full of them. A lot of calibre functionality is implemented as plugins. There's no real difference between a builtin and a custom plugin.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
pliz

1. The source code of that plugin explicitly says:
file_types = set(['epub', 'lrf']) # The file types that this plugin will be applied to

I do not see a reason why it would not work on epub. Is there one?

2. Can you point exactly to a file that is a FileTypePlugin in calibre source tree? The only one I found with grep is HTML2ZIP plugin, which is a part of
pluginize/src/calibre/customize/builtins.py

Where else to look?

Thank you!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reason it only works for LRF is because the whole postprocess set of plugins only work for lrf (this is an oversight from the time when calibre's conversion susbsytem was refactored, I forgot to migrate the postprocess plugins).

If you want to write a postprocess plugin,I suggest waiting for the next release, when this will be rectified.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
pliz

Thanks! Any estimate when is the next release?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre is released typically once every six days
Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
pliz

Wow! Superimpressive! This means that Sunday I will be able to write that postprocessing plugin for epub. Great!

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No guarantees, a release has been known to take as long as 8 days on occasion
Old 01-11-2010, 02:56 AM   #9
pliz

Thanks a lot! The new release 0.6.33 made the helloworld plugin work and my modification seems to be doing something also.

BTW, is it known where nook mounts its hard drive (the path relative to the root) internally? The one that is displayed as nook when inserted into a USB port of a linux machine? I could save some space by pointing to the fonts at a common location instead of zipping the fonts right into .epub
Old 01-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Dunno, I've never actually used a Nook, the driver in calibre was written using user supplied data.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #11
pliz

Did the system break again in the latest versions? hello world plugin seems to not work again
Old 04-18-2010, 04:23 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not that I am aware of. I used a 3rd party plugin just the other day. The only thing I can think of is to make sure your helloworld plugin has its name set.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-18-2010 at 05:11 AM.