Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 07-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaderigt View Post
Does it support both DRM'd Mobi and DRM'd ePub?

Best,
eaderigt
Welcome to MR. The Mobi rendering engine on the Cool-ER clearly is not Mobipocket's. There is no DRM support for Mobi. Sorry if I didn't make that clear (it was too obvious to me, I guess)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #17
Periodical
Periodical began at the beginning.

Device: a purple Cool-er
Smile Cool-er with extra Elonex

My Cool-er arrived this week, too. I had put my Cool-er write-up on the old Cool-er thread.

Yes, I've downloaded the Elonex reader's manual and put it on my Cool-er! The Elonex manual isn't quite the same - the menu button is marked as a different one, and the + and - keys do font sizes for the Elonex reader, apparently.
Also on the Elonex site is a zip folder of 100 free books, which I have also downloaded. I don't think they are the same one hundred as on the Sony Reader CD, but I shall compare with that one later (the Sony isn't mine).

I have managed to crash my Cool-er a couple of times already by
1) trying out locked .prc files, and
2) pressing the + and - keys whilst trying to find out how to access other parts of menus, eg the pen/pencil/erase part of the number pad pop-up in Sudoku! The Sudoku is odd!

The page turn speed appears to be about the same as the Sony from a brief trial earlier.

I'm still very happy with it and I'm sure I'll find out more as I go along.
Periodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #18
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
But I hate that gigantic logo/tag line on the back (and front, too). I would be embarrassed holding that up in public.
Same here. The firmware look very decent for a 1.0 release, and without this horrible logo the design would actually be OK too. I wonder where they fished out their marketing guy.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #19
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Looks like the best overall software suite on e-ink devices at this time?

Thanks for the review mtravellerh.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The logo on the back should not be an issue as the Cool-er should be in a cover. And speaking of covers, where is the cover for the Cool-er?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #21
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The logo on the back should not be an issue as the Cool-er should be in a cover. And speaking of covers, where is the cover for the Cool-er?
I was wondering about that myself, Jon. I tried my Cybook cover, but no dice.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #22
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
What is your feeling about the ease of turning pages? One of the things I didn't like about my Cybook (same hw manufacturer) was that it sometimes takes multiple clicks to turn pages.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:33 AM   #23
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Do you know if the Cool-er's .epub support can handle custom entities like headers & footers as per Jellby's DorianGray.epub here.
It's using ADE's SDK, right? If that's so, I doubt it supports anything not already supported by ADE in the desktop.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:33 AM   #24
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
What is your feeling about the ease of turning pages? One of the things I didn't like about my Cybook (same hw manufacturer) was that it sometimes takes multiple clicks to turn pages.
This works a lot faster. Navigating is faster, too (of course, folders are a great help)

Jellby's Dorian Gray: Of course, the internet links do not work. There seems to be some overlay, too!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 07-15-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #25
Chopchurch
Lurker
Chopchurch doesn't litterChopchurch doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7, Wikireader, G1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
My Cool-ER finally arrived today......
Great review, I wanted to check one of these out but needed a review first, I think I'll pick one up later in the year to complement my SmartQ7.

I just checked the Cool-er Wiki page and it's still showing PDF as the only supported format.
Chopchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #26
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopchurch View Post
Great review, I wanted to check one of these out but needed a review first, I think I'll pick one up later in the year to complement my SmartQ7.

I just checked the Cool-er Wiki page and it's still showing PDF as the only supported format.
Tell you what: The PDF format is (quite obviously) not supported really well!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Without a cover, don't purchase the Cool-er. It's a big risk.

What are the exact dimensions of the Cool-er so we can see what other device it matches to try to find a cover for it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #28
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Without a cover, don't purchase the Cool-er. It's a big risk.

What are the exact dimensions of the Cool-er so we can see what other device it matches to try to find a cover for it?
My daughter (she's an interior designer and an upholsterer) is making a cover for me.

Height (mm) 183.00
Width (mm) 117.74
Depth (mm) 10.89

Cybook:

188 x 118 x 8.5 mm (close enough)

Maybe an M-cover would work? Just a tiny bit too high!

This one could work anyway! I'll get mine this weekend and use a washcloth in the meantime.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 07-15-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #29
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
At least a DVD-steel box would work as well as a cover. Some foam in the interior and it should be kept safe.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #30
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
My daughter (she's an interior designer and an upholsterer) is making a cover for me.
My mother made one for my Cybook
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote