Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Could you expand on that sentence please?
You can just type his command at the command line... you don't need to make it a batch file... if you do this though remove one of the % at each variable... you only need to double them if you put them in a batch file.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Could you expand on that sentence please?
Sure

Using Notepad (or whatever you use for a text editor), create a file with the following line in it:

for %%a in (*.prc) do mobi2mobi "%%a" --booktype "257" --outfile "%%a"

Save it as makeper.cmd in either the directory where you have the ebooks you want to convert, or a directory where you generally save your script/batch files (you could save it in the directory where mobi2mobi resides if you like).

Open a command (DOS) window and navigate to the directory where your .prc files are stored. Run makeper and all the .prc files in that directory should be changed to the new booktype. (I would create a backup of my books first, just in case of problems).

Hope that helps?

EDIT: Just read Bob's reply above. If this is a "one off" task, do it that way (just enter the command). If perhaps you'll want to do this task again in the future, creating the batch/cmd file might be useful.

Last edited by bwaldron; 10-22-2008 at 05:48 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #18
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
IT WORKS IT WORKS !!! I HAVE FOLDERS!!!

There's one tiny little change I'd like: Using

for %%a in (*.mobi) do mobi2mobi.exe "%%a" --booktype "257" --title "Free" --author "%%a" --outfile "%%a"

the author field keeps the file extension, i.e. title.mobi or title.prc. Is there a way to grab just the file name part of %%a and leave the extension behind? That would make this PERFECT.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
IT WORKS IT WORKS !!! I HAVE FOLDERS!!!

There's one tiny little change I'd like: Using

for %%a in (*.mobi) do mobi2mobi.exe "%%a" --booktype "257" --title "Free" --author "%%a" --outfile "%%a"

the author field keeps the file extension, i.e. title.mobi or title.prc. Is there a way to grab just the file name part of %%a and leave the extension behind? That would make this PERFECT.
Yes... use %%~na

BOb
Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Nice that it works. So what does it sort the folders on? Is it the title? And what is shown in the "folders"? The author? Or something else?

Would a flag "--kindlecollection collectionname" that does "--booktype 257 --title collectionname" be useful? The disadvantage is that it is hidden that the title change.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #21
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

tompe did you create mobi2mobi? It is the greatest thing since sliced bread

Thanks bob running it right now.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #22
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Yes, I am glad you like it
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #23
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Sliced bread is overrated.

tompe's mobiperl tools are indeed great.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #24
GatorDeb
Evangelist

I got chills looking at my folder.

It sorts it by name in the main listing and then by author within the folder. I put the title of the book under the author flag.

If you have a favorite author you can make the folder be the author's name and then the author be the title of each book

This is soooooo great. I can't believe Amazon doesn't want to promote this.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It sorts it by name in the main listing and then by author within the folder. I put the title of the book under the author flag.

If you have a favorite author you can make the folder be the author's name and then the author be the title of each book
Ok... can you be more specific? How does it group them? By title value? or by Author value? I'm not following what you are saying. A Wiki entry would be much appreciated.

BOb
Old 10-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #26
GatorDeb
Evangelist

When you press home, it lists them by folder name. If you have books that haven't been Folderized, they will be interspersed with the folders (i.e. it doesn't group the folders and then show the books, the folders and books are intermixed). When you click on the folder name, it lists the Folderized books by author.

Home:

Catcher In The Rye
Fictionwise Folder
Romeo And Juliet
Stephen King Folder

Stephen King Folder:

Stephen King Cujo
Stephen King Stand, The
Stephen King Thinner
Old 10-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When you press home, it lists them by folder name.
Cool... so the home page shows the folder name on the file system of the kindle in the documents folder?

Then when you drill into the Steve King folder it shows all the ebook files that are in that folder... if all those books have the book type changed?

IS all that correct?

Now, why would you set the title of the book to the author name?

Also, what about nested folders? If I have a folder in a folder, does that work?

I guess I could just try it...

BOb
Old 10-23-2008, 01:36 AM   #28
GatorDeb
Evangelist

You set the author tag to be the title because the folder name is replacing the title. When you go into the folder every book has the title "Folder Name" and then where the author "should" be appears whatever you want to name it. I name it the book name because it's more unique than the author.

What groups things into a folder isn't having the booktype changed... it's having the booktype AND the title changed, and it groups like titles together.

On the main screen the folder show up just as any book title, only that when you click on them you go to another screen with files.

I'll try nested folders tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:55 AM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What groups things into a folder isn't having the booktype changed... it's having the booktype AND the title changed, and it groups like titles together.
Ah... I see what you are saying. I thought you had said the the folder name you created in the Documents folder becomes your folder name on the Kindle... but it sounds like the -title in the mobi file is actually the folder. So, you could have all these ebook files be in the Documents folder on the kindle and they would still show up as "folders" on the kindles home screen. Correct?

BOb
Old 10-23-2008, 02:10 AM   #30
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Right, folders on the card have nothing to do with folders in the Kindle. You could have all files under Documents and they would be grouped in folders based on the same title with a booktype of news. I just like having the Kindle folders correspond to PC folders

Do you think anything bad would come from Amazon if I start publicizing this everywhere? I.e. Kindle discussion group at Amazon. This is such a revolutionary find.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-23-2008 at 02:12 AM.