Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Fallingwater
Enthusiast
Fallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura about

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Converting text to jpegs for visualizing on frames/players

I have an eBook I'd like to read on a media player and possibly an old picture frame. Neither has a feature for reading text files.

I unpacked the epub using Calibre and I manually had at the HTML code with a metaphorical chainsaw. All <p> tags were replaced by two carriage returns (ctrl+enter in EditPad's search-and-replace tool), all italic tags were replaced by slashes, and all bold tags by asterisks. Everything else was stripped. The result is one big standard ASCII .txt file that still reads perfectly fine.

I'm aware of two ebook-to-jpg programs: Zune eBook creator and EBook to Images.

I tried the trial version of the former, and it converted all of ONE line, leaving everything else completely blank. Woopty-doo.

The latter does the conversion, but entirely skips all carriage returns, resulting in a condensed wall of text that is very hard to read.

Is there a better way of doing this? Another program perhaps? Or can I just convince Ebook to Images to respect the paragraph spacing somehow? According to screenshots I've seen it should do this natively, but for some reason doesn't.

I've been Googling for the best part of the afternoon, but all it returns are online converters that don't let me specify a resolution and office converters that only do A4 pages, not to mention a lot of useless spammy sites.

Last edited by Fallingwater; 05-24-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Maybe Ghostscript?

Use Calibre to generate a PDF. Than use ghostscript to export the pages as images?

Good luck.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Maybe Ghostscript?

Use Calibre to generate a PDF. Than use ghostscript to export the pages as images?

Good luck.
If he ends up with a PDF with appropriate pages, then there are far simpler tools than Ghostscript for exporting pdf pages as images, unless you already have GS setup and know how to use it

For that matter, if it's a short book (and who's going to read a long book on a picture frame?) then you could just view the epub in any reader app and manually use a screen snipping tool to grab the images.

Last edited by ApK; 05-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Adobe Acrobat and Powerpoint both allow the export of documents/presentations as folders of jpegs. Libre Office has simillar capabilities under "export" (and it's free).

Also, years ago, there were a whole bunch of text to jpeg converters for the Sony Paystation portable.
This one seems halfway decent:
http://download.cnet.com/Psp-Ebook-C...-10499628.html
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Fallingwater
Enthusiast
Fallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, I will try these.

In the meantime, do you know why would Ebook to Images behave like that? This problem has irritated me enough that I've raised it to a question of principle and now really want to beat the silly thing into submission.
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Rats! I was looking for help on this a few weeks ago, and got no responses. Did not realize that Powerpoint would do it.

{EDIT} Well, Powerpoint did not pick up on page breaks. Tried to fit 20 pages of text onto a single slide. Of course, most of it overflows the slide, and then does not make it into the image.

Last edited by curtw; 05-26-2013 at 08:09 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Fallingwater
Enthusiast

I tried getting Ebook to Images to convert the native un-textified html. No change.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Thought about looking at how the Txtr Beagle does its rasterization? The stupid thing is basically a 16-gig picture frame that can only hold four ebooks because it rasterizes each page into a separate jpeg image.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Fallingwater
Enthusiast

I thought I'd mention I finally tracked down the problem that caused EBook to Images to misbehave, for anyone who might happen to have the same problem.

If you're using a third-party text editor (specifically Editpad, but it might happen with others) and getting the same problem, copypaste the whole of the document in Wordpad and save it as .txt. The converter obviously expects carriage return characters different from those Editpad uses.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
If you're using a third-party text editor (specifically Editpad, but it might happen with others) and getting the same problem, copypaste the whole of the document in Wordpad and save it as .txt. The converter obviously expects carriage return characters different from those Editpad uses.
Could be a platform issue? For example, a Linux text editor expects Linux line endings, so I have to set my text editors to use Windows line endings instead. Minor, but potentially game breaking.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote