Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
bones_708
bones_708 began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq 2415
Editing title/author info on lit files

I've got a ton of ebooks and my favorite format is MS reader. One of the annoying problems is that book info isn't always right and can make it frustrating when paging thru hundreds of titles. When I have MS Reader display titles by author I would prefer John Dalmas be listed under D's not J's. Anyone ever done this? any info would be appreciated.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use convertlit to explose the file into its constituent files, edit the opf file which contains the metadata and then use convertlit to reconstitute the lit file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
rozie123
Enthusiast
rozie123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Kovidgoyal,

I was wondering about editing .lit files. Is this the only way to edit them? When you "explode" the .lit file, what type of file does it become? Can it be edited in "Word.?"
rozie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Explode one and see
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozie123 View Post
Kovidgoyal,

I was wondering about editing .lit files. Is this the only way to edit them? When you "explode" the .lit file, what type of file does it become? Can it be edited in "Word.?"
It becomes an Open eBook file - ie a ".opf" XML "package" file which contains all the metadata, list of files, etc, plus one or more HTML files.

The problem is that I don't know of any tool which will go the other way - ie convert from OEB back to LIT.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Readerworks Publisher will put it all back together again. But it is not a free program.

http://www.overdrive.com/readerworks.../publisher.asp

However, the easiest solution is to use the -a and -t options in lit2lrf to set the author name and title.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
rozie123
Enthusiast
rozie123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It becomes an Open eBook file - ie a ".opf" XML "package" file which contains all the metadata, list of files, etc, plus one or more HTML files.

The problem is that I don't know of any tool which will go the other way - ie convert from OEB back to LIT.
Question: I "exploded" the .lit file and got its many parts. How to edit? It doesn't open in Word. It only opened as a "Web Page." If it can't be edited then I don't really see the purpose of "exploding" the file.

Any help would be appreciated.
rozie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozie123 View Post
Question: I "exploded" the .lit file and got its many parts. How to edit? It doesn't open in Word. It only opened as a "Web Page."
The author and title info is in the .opf file, which is small and can be edited by any text editor (e.g. notepad).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
bones_708
bones_708 began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq 2415
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Readerworks Publisher will put it all back together again. But it is not a free program.

http://www.overdrive.com/readerworks.../publisher.asp

However, the easiest solution is to use the -a and -t options in lit2lrf to set the author name and title.
Well it turns out Readerworks Standard will put the files back together, and it's free. You do lose the cover but for $120 I'll do without. The interface is pretty easy to use so now I just have to start going thru my files so I can stop complaining about the discrepancies.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote