Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #76
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I am not a moderator, but if these are still in copyright then I am pretty sure that will be forbidden.
You're absolutely correct, ShellShock; they are and it is. Thanks for pointing that out.

Note to all who may be confused by ShellShock's observation: It is referring to a post by another member we deleted because it did, indeed, contain information as to where pirated copies of certain copyrighted books could be obtained. Uploading pirated materials or letting people know where to find them is a good way to get banned from MobileRead. MobileRead does not condone the use of this site to break the law. We take copyright violations very seriously.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #77
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
MobileRead does not condone the use of this site to break the law. We take copyright violations very seriously.
Translated: Do not put MobileRead in trouble
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #78
dimm
dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It is referring to a post by another member we deleted because it did, indeed, contain information as to where pirated copies of certain copyrighted books could be obtained. Uploading pirated materials or letting people know where to find them is a good way to get banned from MobileRead. MobileRead does not condone the use of this site to break the law. We take copyright violations very seriously.
Bullshit. I just wrote, that I have dictionaries that I compiled by myself, that are based on dictionaries from torrents. I did't posted links. I didn't shared original dictionaries. I created NEW dictionaries for Kobo. No one have copyright on such thing and no one have copyright on English language.
dimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #79
dimm
dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrummer View Post
I tried syncing my aura in order to get the 2.6.1 update. The update hasn't been pushed through to my region yet, it seems, but my custom dictionary was replaced by the standard English dictionary during the sync. I expected this if the updated firmware had been pushed through, but it appears that Kobo is replacing your custom dictionaries during standard syncs. I swapped the standard dictionary with my custom dictionary and synced again, and, lo, again the custom dictionary was replaced. Something to be aware of in the future or bring up with their developers if you want to keep up with Kobo awards and their "reading life" experience.
Just sync via desktop application. When you do it, dictionaries won't be replaced and firmware will be installed
Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #80
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

@dimm: English language can't be copyrighted (yet...) but a work based on it can be. I mean, you can breath free, but if you buy my O2 tank you have to pay, or I'll take my carbine

That said, I think that all people had done something not properly legal with their PCs, but on an internet site you can't say all the things that come in your mind, since the proprietaries of the site are responsible of what you post.
Advert
Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #81
dimm

@Lucas Malor
you know, there is a big difference between sharing actual links to pirate books, dictionaries etc. and saying that you have something completely new, custom work, that you did by yourself.

Moderators could just remove words "ask me in PM", instead of removing whole post and write here not strictly correct information, that my post contained "information where pirated copies of certain copyrighted books could be obtained".

I'm not sharing pirated copies of copyrighted books. My work doesn't contain illegal files/books/dictionaries. It's just compiled html files with English words and their definitions.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #82
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Well, if the dictionaries you have worked on include a free license (like Creative Commons) there's nothing illegal and you can share it.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #83
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
dimm - where did the definitions come from? Did you write them yourself/are they from the public domain?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #84
dimm

@ShellShock
You know, when I was a child, my parents made me study English language. So, I put these definitions from my memory. Those I forgot - I looked in my desktop dictionary (big book with many pages).

Can you prove from my Kobo html dictionaries that this is not the case? Is any uniqueness exist in my files? Someone's invention perhaps?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #85
dimm

Anyway, what's the point of this discussion?
My post was removed. I already have my dictionaries, users of this forum don't.
So, let it be. Continue to babble about copyright.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #86
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm View Post
Anyway, what's the point of this discussion?
The point is, I quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
on an internet site you can't say all the things that come in your mind, since the proprietaries of the site are responsible of what you post.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #87
Kobohobo
Kobohobo for a long time would go to bed early.Kobohobo for a long time would go to bed early.Kobohobo for a long time would go to bed early.Kobohobo for a long time would go to bed early.Kobohobo for a long time would go to bed early.Kobohobo for a long time would go to bed early.Kobohobo for a long time would go to bed early.Kobohobo for a long time would go to bed early.Kobohobo for a long time would go to bed early.Kobohobo for a long time would go to bed early.Kobohobo for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo mini
Hey there,

I recently got my Kobo mini and stumbled on this thread while searching for custom dictionaries.

DannyY's post pointed me toward Penelope, a "multi-tool for creating, editing, converting, and merging electronic dictionaries, especially for eReader devices".

It's a fantastic piece of software and with its help I was able to convert a number of Stardict dictionaries into native Kobo dicts. If you plan to do the same, make sure to check out this repository of free to use Stardict dictionaries.

Note: You will need the MARISA library to be able to export to the Kobo format with Penelope. Ubuntu/Linux users can install the library from this PPA. Users on other operating systems will have to follow the instructions on the project page.

Attached to this post is the Kobo version of the Princeton University Wordnet 3.0 dictionary, which is released under a BSD-styled license. From the license text:

Quote:
WordNet Release 3.0 This software and database is being provided to you, the LICENSEE, by Princeton University under the following license. By obtaining, using and/or copying this software and database, you agree that you have read, understood, and will comply with these terms and conditions.: Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and database and its documentation for any purpose and without fee or royalty is hereby granted, provided that you agree to comply with the following copyright notice and statements, including the disclaimer, and that the same appear on ALL copies of the software, database and documentation, including modifications that you make for internal use or for distribution. WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved. THIS SOFTWARE AND DATABASE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND PRINCETON UNIVERSITY MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. BY WAY OF EXAMPLE, BUT NOT LIMITATION, PRINCETON UNIVERSITY MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT- ABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR THAT THE USE OF THE LICENSED SOFTWARE, DATABASE OR DOCUMENTATION WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY THIRD PARTY PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS, TRADEMARKS OR OTHER RIGHTS. The name of Princeton University or Princeton may not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software and/or database. Title to copyright in this software, database and any associated documentation shall at all times remain with Princeton University and LICENSEE agrees to preserve same.
The Wordnet 3.0 dictionary features 149.535 definitions including synonyms, antonyms and much more. From its Wikipedia entry:

Quote:
WordNet is a lexical database for the English language.[1] It groups English words into sets of synonyms called synsets, provides short, general definitions, and records the various semantic relations between these synonym sets. The purpose is twofold: to produce a combination of dictionary and thesaurus that is more intuitively usable, and to support automatic text analysis and artificial intelligence applications.
Please see ShellShock's original post for installation instructions.

Happy reading!
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml.zip (10.41 MB, 2843 views)

Last edited by Kobohobo; 07-24-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Kobohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #88
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobohobo View Post
Hey there,

I recently got my Kobo mini and stumbled on this thread while searching for custom dictionaries.

DannyY's post pointed me toward Penelope, a "multi-tool for creating, editing, converting, and merging electronic dictionaries, especially for eReader devices".

It's a fantastic piece of software and with its help I was able to convert a number of Stardict dictionaries into native Kobo dicts. If you plan to do the same, make sure to check out this repository of free to use Stardict dictionaries.
Thank you, but I'm completely lost here

Any chance someone already converted this dictionary to the Kobo format? : http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-di...-2.4.2.tar.bz2 (XMLittre French dictionnary Le Littré)
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #89
PauloWerneck
PauloWerneck began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
About copyrights

Commenting the discussion between Dimm and others about copyright and dictionaries, a wish to say that I love dictionaries and I plenty of them in Portuguese (my mother language). When I search a word in two or three of them, I usually get some identical phrases in two or all of them, and none is said to have violated copyrights.

Any dictionarist uses other's dictionaries and books and whatever to make their's dictionaries. What makes one dictionary distinct from another is the quantity of words, the quantity of meanings for each word and the word selection.

This is why I am using mainly the Webster's Revised Unabridged, 1913 Edition as a companion to reading Patrick O'Brian's novels, and why OneLook and Linguee are so helpful: there are plenty of words too technical and in desuse, that are more easy to find in 1913 Edition, in the meaning used in the book, otherwise Onelook will point me all online dictionaries in which the word are to be found, otherwise Linguee will point texts in English were the word occurs as well as their traductions, otherwise I will have to find other means to get the meaning of the word...

So, I think quite difficult to deal with the question of copyright in making dictionaries, unless one just copies all the entries of another.
PauloWerneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #90
PauloWerneck
PauloWerneck began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Trouble in installing dictionaries in Kobo Glo

I followed the intructions on how to install dictionaries in Kobo Glo but they did not work.

1. There were no dictionaries in .kobo/dict

2. I moved dicthtml.zip to .kobo/dict, as well as dicthtml-pt.zip, dicthtml-es.zip, dicthtml-fr.zip, dicthtml-it.zip, dicthtml-en-pt.zip and dicthtml-pt-en.zip.

3. I see all of them in .kobo/dict

4. When I select a word in an English written book, I receive the message "You don't have an English dictionary installed. You can install dictionaries from the language settings, and a link to Language Settings.

5.When I go to Language Settings, I see that I have 7 dictionaries installed. I select EDIT and see that the 7 dictionaries I previously moved to Kobo Glo are listed there.

6. I select SAVE and it wants to connect to WIFI, I don't know what for, but there is no WIFI so I cancel.

7. In "Select your language" I switched to French and again to English. I thing it just changed the language of Kobo, without any effect on the dictionaries.

Nothing works, I don't know what to do. I also do not know how to discover what firmware version I am using.
PauloWerneck is offline   Reply With Quote