Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Porting books from Nook Glo to Paperwhite

Hi everyone! Long time no see! I've been enjoying my Nook Glow greatly but it's dying on me. I don't want to buy a new one but I'm looking forward to a Kindle Paperwhite. Besides converting properly formatted ebooks to mobi (calibre is a great thing! but I wonder if all epub formats will display correctly) I think I won't be able to transfer protected ePubs I bought legally. So I'm still thinking about it. Do I do it or try to get an ePub compatible device? Any tricks for high amount of content (I have over 1100 books now, about 2GB). Thanks!
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Can the Apprentice Alf plugins for Calibre de-DRM Nook EPUB's?

If so, then there is no problem, and Calibre can readily convert them to AZW3. I've been buying EPUBs from all over the place (but not Nook/B&N; can't shop there, as I'm in the "wrong" country). After de-DRM-ing, which happens automatically while importing the books into Calibre, they convert to AZW3 just fine. Calibre even does it in the background, unnoticed, while loading the books onto the Kindle.

I've never had layout problems; if there were, the problem was in the original EPUB already.

(By the way: I do maintain a seperate backup of all my de-DRM-ed books. After importing them into Calibre, which gets the DRM off them, I'll save them to disk outside the Calibre folder, and stuff them away somewhere safe, just to be sure.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-05-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
Hi everyone! Long time no see! I've been enjoying my Nook Glow greatly but it's dying on me. I don't want to buy a new one but I'm looking forward to a Kindle Paperwhite. Besides converting properly formatted ebooks to mobi (calibre is a great thing! but I wonder if all epub formats will display correctly) I think I won't be able to transfer protected ePubs I bought legally. So I'm still thinking about it. Do I do it or try to get an ePub compatible device? Any tricks for high amount of content (I have over 1100 books now, about 2GB). Thanks!
There will probably be a new Nook before too long, and there have been a lot of deals on the older models of late (e.g. used Nook Simple Touch is $50 on eBay). That's going to be your simplest option. Otherwise you will need to deal with the DRM and conversion issues, which is inconvenient at best.

At least to this point (unless it has changed with their new devices), Kobo and Sony have not seen fit to support B&N DRM (even though they are licensed to do so and it is near trivial to do so). I thought perhaps Pocketbook supported it but could not find any evidence that they do. It baffles me why they would not, particularly given B&N's current difficulties. My Entourage eDGE Jr (a three year old device) does support B&N DRM.

There are a number of options if you want to read your B&N ebooks on a tablet using third party apps.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
I live in Argentina, my legally bought books are Adobe DRMs... Sony already released the T3 and has no light, and on B&N I can't buy content at all... So if I want a glowlight this'll have to be it.
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
I live in Argentina, my legally bought books are Adobe DRMs... Sony already released the T3 and has no light, and on B&N I can't buy content at all... So if I want a glowlight this'll have to be it.
To put your Adobe DRM'd books on a Kindle you'd have to remove the DRM and convert the books to a format the Kindle reads, Mobi or KF8/AZW3 using Calibre (or Kindle Previewer). Keep in mind the storage space on the Paperwhite (1.25GB) if you're wanting to keep your entire library on it.

I don't know how easy any of these would be to get in Argentina, but here is a list of ePub readers compatible with Adobe DRM, if you decide to go that route, off the top of my head...

Cybook Odyssey Frontlight
Onyx Boox i62 Firefly/Angel Glow
PocketBook Touch Lux
Kobo Glo
Kobo Aura
Kobo Aura HD
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert