Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhites 2013 and 2015, Nook Glowlight, iPhone, etc.
Query re: Kubizo Screensaver changer

*Sigh.* No matter how geek I am, the darn Kindle finds ways to confound. I would love to use screensaver changer Kubizo ( http://www.kubizo.com/ ) but can't get it to work on my Kindle 3. I downloaded the .exe, obtained and applied the key and followed every single step faithfully THREE times, but the problem with my Kindle (B006; 3/3 FWIW) is that when it's time to update ... it just doesn't. I DO see a new jailbreak bin as a Kindle file when I plug it into PC and check what's on kindle drive, but when I try to update (which means, I believe, installing the hack into Kindle's system) I always get "The update was not successful." And then it says "cannot copy file, cannot read from the source file or disk" What am I missing, what can I do? Thanks so much for help.
allisondbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
Hi Allison,

thanks again for your interest and sorry I did not reply earlier! I'm working on the issue. What is your firmware version? If you have 3.3 I have already identified the issue and I'm compiling a corrected version of the program.

Thanks for your feedback!

Davide
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Hi Allison,

I uploaded to the website a new version of the Screensaver Changer. Please let me know!

Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Kubizo you doll. Thank YOU for your work and YOUR interest. I just saw your "uploaded new version" after I started this. So my software version IS 3.3 and I'm going to go to site to upload and try, and will report back success ... (or failure).

Alley
Old 10-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Kubizo
Connoisseur

Red face

Thanks a lot for the compliments! :-)

Great that you have the 3.3, at least I know what the problem was. I hope the solution works!

Ciao ciao!
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
allisondbl
Connoisseur

And yes you are a genius. Worked this time although I"ll pass on a few bits of info. One needs to make SURE the kindle has been read by the PC before clicking Continue. If it doesn't find kindle as kindle hasn't installed itself as a drive on your PC yet and you wait then hit continue again after it says it hasn't found kindle during the SAME attempt to install, it doesn't seem to work. I needed to unplug and CLOSE Kubizo and make sure Kindle was showing as a drive on PC before opening and trying again. \

Then, it showed successful install but gave me a problem message when I tried to install the screensavers. I ignored this and it worked. After install it also needed to ... I don't know what to call it but there were a few words and a series of dots across the very bottom of the screen after the final restart as if it were actually installing the screensavers or something. This was AFTER the "you're good to go" sort of final Kubizo screen.

And it will not accept a number of images that should be just fine and were made for Kindle screensaver use. (Love and use a number of yours but I'm an ADD kinda girl.)

http://kindlewallpapers.tumblr.com/

These should work based on image, size, file size, etc.?

Last edited by allisondbl; 10-24-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Kubizo
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot for the exhaustive report! It's incredibly useful to me!

I'm no genius, anyway! Yifan Lu is the genius, I had just misplaced his files and now I corrected the problem, thanks to your feedback. (I don't have a 3.3 yet... I guess Amazon will push it to my Kindle at some point).

Concerning finding the Kindle: very interesting. I tried to recreate the issue on my PC, but I could not. When you say:
Quote:
during the SAME attempt to install, it doesn't seem to work
what does it mean exactly that it does not seem to work? Does it crash? Does it fail again to find the Kindle? Do you get an error message? Or just nothing happens?

Quote:
After install it also needed to ... I don't know what to call it but there were a few words and a series of dots across the very bottom of the screen after the final restart as if it were actually installing the screensavers or something. This was AFTER the "you're good to go" sort of final Kubizo screen.
This might be a peculiarity of the 3.3. I'll confirm it as soon as I get my hands on one.
Quote:
And it will not accept a number of images that should be just fine and were made for Kindle screensaver use.(Love and use a number of yours but I'm an ADD kinda girl.)
This is alarming! But at least it should be really easy to recreate the problem on my PC, so that I can fix it. I'm downloading a bunch of images from the website you mentioned. Do you remember which ones exactly were giving you problems?

Thanks a lot again!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
Kubizo
Connoisseur

Hi!

I tried with a couple of pictures from the website you mentioned and they worked fine. Could you please email one of the file that is giving you problems? Or attach it to your post?

One thing: on the second photo, the "view large" link appears to be missing for some reason and, if you tried to directly save the picture you see in the homepage and use it, it will not work because it is smaller than 600 x 800.

Thanks again!

Ciao!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
allisondbl
Connoisseur

This one's easy: apparently I'm too impatient and didn't realize that I HAD to download the larger size to use and I'd downloaded from the first screen. Went back and grabbed the larger size and I believe they're now working. I like so many of yours however that since it doesn't load random but seriatim it will take a while to confirm.

Once again my debt knows no bounds.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
Kubizo
Connoisseur

For so little! No debt at all!

Glad you liked it!

And thanks for spotting a problem!