Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Mister_R
Mister_R began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Highlight PDF on kindle DX

I am about to buy an e-reader.
One of the devices I am considering is Kindle DX.
I have mostly PDF Books.
I need to highlight extensively thought the book and then export the highlighted parts.
Can I do this with kindle DX?
Mister_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Device: A sweet PRS-500, DXG
Documents that require highlighting, notes, etc. should probably be converted from PDF to another more useful format for markup. PDF is an old printer format which has been twisted & hammered to fit these e-book readers. Having said that - I use the my DX to read PDFs but only when I can't find another format or can't properly convert it. MOBI behaves much better on the DX.
oggelbe2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I don't think so or at least not yet.

technically you can convert pdf's to other forms that might work or you could have amazon do that for a fee

Doukan's software might work with it but it's hard to say the english version is in beta
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The K3 has this function but not the DXG. We are hoping that Amazon pushes out a firmware update for the DX that allows the same PDF functionality as the K3.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Mister_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggelbe2007 View Post
Documents that require highlighting, notes, etc. should probably be converted from PDF to another more useful format for markup.
I use PDF only and just because I have to.

So i guees from you anwser that I can forget highlights in PDF. right?
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the time being, yes. We are hoping that the DX gets an update that allows it. Part of the reason we are expecting it is that the DXG was released a month ahead of the K3 and it would really suck if it did not have the same firm ware.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
In terms of 'hoping', history supplies us with the example of DX coming out with PDF support out of the box, and months later, an update added PDF support to the K2 models.

That said, it is far from certain that Amazon intends to upgrade PDF support for DX (or K2US/K2i for that matter). I would not buy one with the expectation that it is likely to happen.

And as far as I'm concerned, we are still lacking some key PDF features (reflow, hyperlink support, 'real' PDF annotation).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Also, converted books (I don't know about PDFs on K3) have a percentage limit on the amount you can highlight. Presumably due to "fair use" restrictions by the publisher. Usually 10%, but could be less, or more. If you are going to highlight more than that, it could be a problem.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Mister_R

are DX and DXG two diferent devices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
We are hoping that the DX gets an update that allows it. Part of the reason we are expecting it is that the DXG was released a month ahead of the K3 and it would really suck if it did not have the same firm ware.
Do you mean that K3 as a newer firmware then DXG?

Does K3 allows highlighted text export on PDF?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

My understanding is that you can now highlight text in the K3. And yes, the K3 has a newer firmware then the DXG. It has additional languages and PDF capabilities.

The DX White is listed as Second Generation and the DXG is listed as Latest Generation. The DX has the older screen, the DXG has the new Pearl screen. I do not think that there is a difference in their current firmware.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_R View Post

Does K3 allows highlighted text export on PDF?
Sort of.

K3's PDF annotations can only be viewed in context on a K3 (K3 creates a 'sidecar' .pdr file that contains them). They are also logged to the 'My Clippings' text file as with any other Kindle annotations.

But they are not saved to the PDF's annotation layer where other PDF viewers can see them.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Each Kindle has a web page at Amazon where you can view your highlights and annotations. Do K3 highlights of pdfs show up on this web page?
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
You can convert (e.g. thru free Mobipocketk Creator) PDF to PRC (with some luck w/o loosing too much formatting) and then highlight it on your DX.

PH

Last edited by pavelh; 02-23-2011 at 04:55 PM.
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
warlock07
Enthusiast
warlock07 began at the beginning.

Quote:
For the time being, yes. We are hoping that the DX gets an update that allows it. Part of the reason we are expecting it is that the DXG was released a month ahead of the K3 and it would really suck if it did not have the same firm ware.
Don't hope. Its your fault for hoping. Amazon can do no wrong...
Its ur mistake if u assume that DXG and k3 are the same generation..
Amazon never promised anything.
Haven't u been reading the DX threads?

Quote:
The DX White is listed as Second Generation and the DXG is listed as Latest Generation. The DX has the older screen, the DXG has the new Pearl screen. I do not think that there is a difference in their current firmware.
DXG seems to be older hardware with a a new screen.Thats it.. DXG is the latest DX not the latest Kindle.
The latest kindle is K3 with newer hardware

Last edited by warlock07; 02-25-2011 at 09:33 AM.
warlock07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #15
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock07 View Post
The latest kindle is K3 with newer hardware
Hmmm...Eggs = Apples ???

You can't compare K3 with KDXG !!
They are not the same class.
KDXG is the newest Kindle (9.7" class).
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote