Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #16
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'll third "Little Dorrit". I don't think it's one of Dickens' best novels, to be honest about it, but it's still a good read.
Good stuff!

Maybe you have a better one of Dickens? I haven't read any, so I'm easy...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:14 AM   #17
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I'd like to nominate Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens.
The BBC production of Little Dorrit has been broadcasted on the Norwegian television for the last couple of weeks. Like it a lot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1178522/

I'll make sure to read The Mysterious Island whether it wins or not. Feel it's time to pick up Jules Verne again.

Last edited by thinkpad; 04-21-2010 at 03:17 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 AM   #18
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I'll make sure to read The Mysterious Island whether it wins or not. Feel it's time to pick up Jules Verne again.
Yes, I'll certainly read it as well...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:28 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Good stuff!

Maybe you have a better one of Dickens? I haven't read any, so I'm easy...
My "top three" would be, in no particular order, "Oliver Twist", "Great Expectations", and "Bleak House".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #20
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
I honestly don't think that counts as a "classic". Was it published prior to 1923? Is it in the public domain? This is our "classics" month.

Daft Question of the Week .... Do the Nominations HAVE to be Classic's ?

I'd like to make a Modern nomination, but if classic's only then How about

The Three Muskateers by Alexander Dumas,

By the way is there a list of books already used ?

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Daft Question of the Week .... Do the Nominations HAVE to be Classic's ?
We have a different "category" every month. May's categority is "Classics", so yes, this month, all the nominations have to be classics.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #22
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Is there a list of books that have been chosen before?
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I was going to say... hey I wonder if "Lost" is loosely based on this.

I THIRD this one... sounds like fun.

BOb
Well, with that we're batting 3 for 3!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #24
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Is there a list of books that have been chosen before?
Not likely easily available, but someone will chime in it a nomination is recent read. Like "The Egg and I"
Old 04-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well, with that we're batting 3 for 3!

Could you translate that into English, please?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #26
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I'd like to suggest something by Wilkie Collins for your consideration: either The Woman in White or The Moonstone.

Collins was a contemporary (and friend) of Charles Dickens, and is sometimes described as the inventor of the modern mystery novel. As well as being suspensful, his stories (like those of Dickens) also include an element of social commentary (The Woman in White deals with the situation of women in 19th Century Britain, for example).

The two titles I mentioned are his best-known works. They are easy reads and have unexpected endings. They are out of copyright and easily available in all major ebook formats.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #27
kennyc

Quote:
Could you translate that into English, please?
The perambulator broke so the baby had to ride in the boot and the lorrie load was delayed.

I just meant - 3 posts, and a resulting book in the poll.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #28
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
Kim by Rudyard Kipling
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #29
kennyc

I'll second Oliver Twist as that is on my TBR list.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #30
kennyc

Wow. Just ran across this site.

The Art of Manliness 100 must read classics! Yes! MANLY Classics. This will get that left-over taste of estrogen from Romance book month out of our mouths. Real Manly Books, no girly stuff here!