Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Like Asimov

Let's assume you like Asimov. Who does not?

Which author has replaced Asimov for you?
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
(Sheepishly raises hand ) Just recently tried giving him another go - 'Stars Like Dust' - but gave up after 50 pages.

One of those authors I just don't get.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I used to like Asimov when I was a teenager, but reading him as an adult I have to admit that I find his books rather shallow. His characters are all rather two-dimensional and don't really come across as real people.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Agree about the characters but I like the ideas he explores. Especially Foundation stuff and his short stories.

So which SF authors do you read now?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:

Love Asimov, especially the Foundation Trilogy. And no one has "replaced" Asimov for me. Other authors have merely risen to the same level of enjoyment for me.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Loved Asimov as a Teenager, in fact he was probably the first SF writer i really got into.

but after a while, i.e. reading the Later Foundation books, I begin to lose interest.

So while I do like his Ideas, his characterisation does look quiet chunky and 2D in hindsight.

However He did get me into SF and lead me to writers such Heinlein, E.E. Smith, Mccaffrey, etc. So While no one author has replaced him on my reading list, there are plenty more that I do like more.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have a book to suggest:

Birthright: The Book of Man by Mike Resnick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthri...he_Book_of_Man
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Would Suggest you have a look at this Thread if you haven't already

[ Your Favourite SF & Fantasy Series

Everyone has give some great suggestions for books and why they like them .
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Alastair Reynolds
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Strictly speaking SF, I started out with Asimov, Clarke, van Vogt, Heinlein, Lem, Vance, Niven, Dick, eventually drifted into Rucker, Cadigan, Gibson, Sterling, and then fell into into Noon, Vinge, Stross, Doctorow, and beyond.

I don't know about replaced. Branching trees, not straight lines. But of the "classics", only Phil K. Dick gets re-read sometimes. Because he rocked so hard.

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-18-2008 at 03:49 PM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
peterbbb
BoyReader

Interesting ways we change our views of what we like/engages us as we grow older/mature...

Thanks for the ideas. I have taken some of them up and bought yet more stuff from Fictionwise to read.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:

No one. I'm not sure that's possible. Remember, Isaac wrote a great deal more non-fiction, on a wide variety of topics, than he did SF.

There are other authors who have tackled the fall and rise of a galactic empire, like Piper's Federation stories, or the David Drake/Steve Stirling "Raj Whitehall" books, and others who have tackled robotics, though it's impossible to not acknowledges Asimov's Three Laws in doing so.

I like Asimov for the cleverness of his construction. His characterization was weak, and few of his people came across as real, but that was the norm rather than the exception during his earlier days of writing SF.

If you are asking "What SF authors do I read these days", that's a rather long list...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Thanks for the tip on Birthright, will need to add it to my list.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Thanks for the tip on Birthright, will need to add it to my list.
I'm reading it atm and it's great
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #15
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I used to like Asimov when I was a teenager, but reading him as an adult I have to admit that I find his books rather shallow. His characters are all rather two-dimensional and don't really come across as real people.
For dimensionality (!?) one might try The Gods Themselves
For real people The caves of steel

I also read them when I was young. I re-read them not long time ago (when I was barely 65) and I found them quite charming.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote