Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Back Lighting

Anyone know if the 650 has screen back lighting?

And, if it has - can it be manipulated, and how?

I find the 650 just too dim and don't use it as much as I could for a couple of reasons, one of which is that I find it too dark (preferring my Blackberry Playbook).

I've got the jacket with the light, but don't find that light much help in either of its settings, and also it creates glare on a lot of the angles where it hits the screen.

(I've done a 'search' of these threads and couldn't find if this topic has been mentioned before. If it has, could someone link me in the right direction please.)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Anyone know if the 650 has screen back lighting?

And, if it has - can it be manipulated, and how?

I find the 650 just too dim and don't use it as much as I could for a couple of reasons, one of which is that I find it too dark (preferring my Blackberry Playbook).

I've got the jacket with the light, but don't find that light much help in either of its settings, and also it creates glare on a lot of the angles where it hits the screen.

(I've done a 'search' of these threads and couldn't find if this topic has been mentioned before. If it has, could someone link me in the right direction please.)
No eink device has back-lighting - and the PRS650 is no exception. A handful of devices are being released with 'glow' lights (search for the nook glow for info, if you are curious) and SONY experimented with something similar in the past. But no, eink and back-lighting don't go together, given the current state of the technology.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
eink needs front lighting.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Also, back lighting a screen that size would eat your battery up in no time,,,,
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Also, back lighting a screen that size would eat your battery up in no time,,,,
I wouldn't mind the battery being used to some degree, the book reader batteries don't use anywhere near the power that a tablet does.

So - yep even if it meant that I had to recharge a back lit ereader once every day or second day etc then fine by me.

The alternative is - I don't use a current generation ereader, or a future generation ereader without it, and I don't think that I would be alone in making that choice.

Dedicated ereaders face stiff competition from tablet devices, so one wonders how much longer they'll be developed anyway.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

eink des not allow for back lighting. There's no way for the light to shine through.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
I wouldn't mind the battery being used to some degree, the book reader batteries don't use anywhere near the power that a tablet does.

So - yep even if it meant that I had to recharge a back lit ereader once every day or second day etc then fine by me.

The alternative is - I don't use a current generation ereader, or a future generation ereader without it, and I don't think that I would be alone in making that choice.

Dedicated ereaders face stiff competition from tablet devices, so one wonders how much longer they'll be developed anyway.
Probably for as long as people want to buy e-ink screens that use very little power and give 10+ days use on one charge compared to a few hours for LCD screens... I see no competition from tablets for eReaders - I use tablets for many things but, for recreational reading, always eReader... it's light, comfortable and ideal for relaxing with...

If you want a backlit reader then don't use e-ink as it works by reflected light so being backlit would be a tad pointless...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:

Have you taken a look at the Nook Glow? It might fit your needs.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Have you taken a look at the Nook Glow? It might fit your needs.
Lynx is in Australia. A Nook would be useless.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Lynx is in Australia. A Nook would be useless.
Ah, Australia, at the bottom of the world! No wonder they need the light to shine through the back of the display.

rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
dillsandwitch
Enthusiast
dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Ah, Australia, at the bottom of the world! No wonder they need the light to shine through the back of the display.

That's a bit harsh don't you think?

.... rides off in my kangaroo...
dillsandwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
PRS-700 .. But nook came out with a recent e-ink device with backlight.

Glowlight:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1108046469
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
PRS-700 .. But nook came out with a recent e-ink device with backlight.

Glowlight:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1108046469
WRONG! FAIL! GO TO THE TIMEOUT CORNER!

That's a FRONTLIGHT!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's a FRONTLIGHT!
As far as the user is concerned, is there actually a difference?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
As far as the user is concerned, is there actually a difference?
Yes... some people don't like spending their life having LCDs shining in their eyes and prefer reflected ambient or or external light...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote