Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
iExilschorsch
iExilschorsch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Use Sony-350 Dictionary to improve reading of Kanji characters?

My daughter is learning Kanji in school. She finds it cumbersome to search for characters she doesn't know in a dictionary. Thus she doesn't like to read text in Japanese for pleasure.

I wonder whether the dictionary function of the Sony reader could help her to read text that contains Kanji characters. If she doesn't know a character she could look it up in the dictionary. That way she could read stories and she could improve her knowledge of the characters.

I don't speak Japanese so I would like to know whether the dictionary useful in this respect. If so, how can I load a Japanese Kanji dictionary onto a (German) Sony? With the Sony read Japanese text or do I have to install a specific firmware?

Thanks fro your help!

Exilschorsch
iExilschorsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
漢字は無理
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
At the moment you can't install any extra dictionaries on the Sony. And even the Japanese firmware has only E->J and E->E dictionaries.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
can sony reader even display Japanese? I typed some words in Japanese and saved it as RTF, and by reader just display boxes.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by warakawa View Post
can sony reader even display Japanese? I typed some words in Japanese and saved it as RTF, and by reader just display boxes.
RTF is the worst format for this purpose.
Try EPUB or LRF. In any case it will work with embedded fonts / modified CSS. (but only horizontal, left to right)
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote