Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #46
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Thank you for the insight.

I did some drastic measures and reformatted the SD Card.

I reload all my books onto the device again and the covers seem to generate correctly this time.
Good. I posted the answer before and then saw the problems with the SD card. I'm happy the reformat fixed it. It must have been related to the change in 2.5.0 to store cover images for books on the SD card. Was the card formatted as FAT before? And is now FAT32?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #47
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Good. I posted the answer before and then saw the problems with the SD card. I'm happy the reformat fixed it. It must have been related to the change in 2.5.0 to store cover images for books on the SD card. Was the card formatted as FAT before? And is now FAT32?
I believe the card was original formatted as FAT32.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I believe the card was original formatted as FAT32.
Well, that blows that theory. I got caught by this with one of my cards recently. I did all sorts of things before I noticed the file system.

Anyway, I think we have a solution. Until it happens again.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:37 AM   #49
Comic Sans
Comic Sans began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
Two new (?) bugs:

The justify paragraph symbol (font settings) is not visible when selected.
The light button (hardware, on the top) does no longer work when light is set to its lowest value.
Comic Sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #50
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
2.5.0 changes the cover handling for books on the SD card. They are now generated and stored on the card. This improves the navigation speed through the library lists once the images have been generated.
This is great news, I'll be having a good play with the micro SD card when I get this update. (Trying to be patient and wait for the official release instead of sideloading it this time).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Sans View Post
Two new (?) bugs:

The justify paragraph symbol (font settings) is not visible when selected.
The light button (hardware, on the top) does no longer work when light is set to its lowest value.
Yes, they are both new. The light bug is going to be annoying as I use the minimum setting. And when I change the light level, the light comes on. If then set it to the minimum, the light level drops but stays on.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
This is great news, I'll be having a good play with the micro SD card when I get this update.
The only problem is that they are all in one directory on a FAT32 partition.
Quote:
(Trying to be patient and wait for the official release instead of sideloading it this time).
I manually updated the Glo, but I'm trying to be patient with the Touch.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #53
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Yes, they are both new. The light bug is going to be annoying as I use the minimum setting. And when I change the light level, the light comes on. If then set it to the minimum, the light level drops but stays on.
Can I get a clarification on that - do you mean that the light drops below the usual minimum level (which is very slightly too bright for comfortable close reading in full darkness), but doesn't turn completely off? I know that's not at all working-as-designed, but if this is the case, it would be an actual feature for me (I never read with the the light completely off). And it would be good to know that the light can go lower and still be usable. Hmmm, weird. It hasn't been pushed to me yet, but I'm wondering if I should grab this version in case it's pulled but useful.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 AM   #54
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It sounds more like he's saying the button won't work to turn the light on, but raising the brightness level turns the light on and he can then drop it back down to the minimum level? I wonder if that equates to there being no way to then shut it off, without shutting the reader off or sleeping it?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The light and button are working correctly except when the minimum level is set. Then, the light doesn't turn on. The indicator at the bottom shows and if you adjust the level, the light comes on. The level can then be adjusted down again with not problems.

It is possible the minimum level is lower than before, but I'll have to wait until I get somewhere dark to test.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #56
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Ok, that was weird.

I just tried to update my Glo firmware through the Desktop (3.2.1).

It went through the new device dialogs, but wouldn't get past the login screen, where it happily looped.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #57
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Looks like the update broke Calibre.
*sigh* Wish calibre would do the sane thing and just treat the Kobo like a regular FAT32 mass storage device (or two devices, if there's a microSD card in). It's not as if the epubs need to be specially-formatted or placed in a special location in the directory structure (they can just be dumped in the base directory, or in subdirs off of it - as long as they don't get too deep, the device doesn't care).

And there's nothing difficult about deleting files. The Kobo won't mind if the database doesn't get updated, as proven when I delete things manually through Windows.

If calibre would just stop trying to get fancy with shelves and annotations and crap like that, everything would be fine. :/

Last edited by JD Gumby; 04-17-2013 at 07:46 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #58
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
If calibre would just stop trying to get fancy with shelves and annotations and crap like that, everything would be fine. :/
You do not need to use the "shelves and annotations and crap like that" in calibre if you do not want to, in fact you can even remove the kobo driver. You are free to do as you wish.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #59
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
*sigh* Wish calibre would do the sane thing and just treat the Kobo like a regular FAT32 mass storage device (or two devices, if there's a microSD card in). It's not as if the epubs need to be specially-formatted or placed in a special location in the directory structure (they can just be dumped in the base directory, or in subdirs off of it - as long as they don't get too deep, the device doesn't care).
You know you can treat an arbitrary folder as a device?

Click on "Connect/share" and choose "Connect to folder" and then navigate to your Kobo's root folder and you can do exactly what you describe.

As I find with a lot of things, often Calibre already does what you want if you know how to configure it. HTH
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #60
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
It is possible the minimum level is lower than before, but I'll have to wait until I get somewhere dark to test.
After reading in the dark after the update, I can't say with absolute certainty, but it appears to me that the 1 or 2 lowest light levels are lower than in previous fw. Those levels are more blue than before IMO.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote