Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #76
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
I am also considering getting a PaperWhite. There's bound to be a class action lawsuit against Amazon for that light, and I want in on it!
It is deceptive advertising at it worst - they advertise an e-ink reader, you expect a printed book experience as you get with real e-ink readers (such as T3), but instead you get a YAS (yet another screen) experience with its glowing screen, the light cannot be switched off!!! I want to collect for my hurt eyes, for mental distress and also punitive damages. Maybe Amazon will settle offering all their e-books for free?
Then you can read them on T3 after slightly improving them on PC, or on T2 directly.
Did I mention T3 in this post? Oh, even twice! That makes this post almost on topic

Last edited by parkher; 01-08-2014 at 04:56 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #77
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
It is deceptive advertising at it worst - they advertise an e-ink reader, you expect a printed book experience as you get with real e-ink readers (such as T3), but instead you get a YAS (yet another screen) experience with its glowing screen, the light cannot be switched off!!! I want to collect for my hurt eyes, for mental distress and also punitive damages. Maybe Amazon will settle offering all their e-books for free?

Yeah, no. Amazon has an effective return policy. Use it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #78
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post

Yeah, no. Amazon has an effective return policy. Use it.
No kidding. I returned not one but two unlit kindles before settling on the PW2. It was my indecision, too, that caused it, not that anything was wrong with them.

Completely my fault, and they said "no problem."

Last edited by FacebookVirus; 01-09-2014 at 01:02 PM.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #79
Lennier
Lennier doesn't litterLennier doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
A couple of the built-in fonts are OK. I do wish Sony would have provided line spacing and margin adjusting ability, as well as a path to add a couple of my own favorite fonts to the internal list. In lieu of that, I use calibre to format a book before I read it, giving me the exact font and look that I am in the mood for. My fonts are on the sd-card to save space in internal memory.
I initially missed the margin setting of the Kobo Aura when I bought a T3. However, if you use the cropping option you can remove overly wide margins. It seems to work best if you use the manual margin setting option rather than the auto option. It can be a bit fiddly to get right at first but it gets easier and the reader remembers the new margin settings for the book!

I'm still enjoying the T3. I got the light case for Christmas and it's much better than the Goodereader review would have you believe (but then they didn't understand how the cropping option would ever be useful!). Is it as even as a backlight of a Kobo Aura? No. But it's closer to the experience of reading a book - cosier somehow. Not sure it's worth the price Sony charge but it comes in handy.

Last edited by Lennier; 01-10-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Lennier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #80
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I used PRS+ on both my 500 & 505, just so I can have clock at the bottom of the page when reading, since I tend to lose track of time when reading.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #81
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennier View Post
I initially missed the margin setting of the Kobo Aura when I bought a T3. However, if you use the cropping option you can remove overly wide margins. It seems to work best if you use the manual margin setting option rather than the auto option. It can be a bit fiddly to get right at first but it gets easier and the reader remembers the new margin settings for the book!
Interesting idea. This does work to remove wide margins. But usually I have to go the other way and add a 5pt margin on the left and right. It was 2pt on the 350, but the T3 screen frame edge must be at a different angle that can put more shadow on the page.

I don't know what margins books usually have these days, as the first thing I always do is convert and format to my liking.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #82
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
I used PRS+ on both my 500 & 505, just so I can have clock at the bottom of the page when reading, since I tend to lose track of time when reading.
With the T3, you can go to the home screen and hit the menu button to get a clock at the upper left for several seconds.

True, this takes three actions to get the clock and go back to the current book, but I find it helpful. And the T3 does this very quickly, unlike the earlier models.

This may be distracting for some people, but it works just fine for me.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #83
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
With the T3, you can go to the home screen and hit the menu button to get a clock at the upper left for several seconds.

True, this takes three actions to get the clock and go back to the current book, but I find it helpful. And the T3 does this very quickly, unlike the earlier models.

This may be distracting for some people, but it works just fine for me.
that is good to know, I missed that in the manual. my "best" solution was to go to home, quickly open & close a book, then look at "time last read" on current book.

PS your solution works on T2 also, so maybe it works on T1 but I don't have one of those to test.
I am sure it is not in the user guide though ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #84
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
It's funny how nobody has mentioned the dictionary feature in the Sony readers. It has the best integrated dictionary system in any e-reader. The PRS650 already had 2 English dictionaries and 5 bilingual ones. The T1 improved it by reducing the 2 taps to one long one to bring up the word. However it did not have French-French dictionary in the T1.
I looked at the T3 in the Sony shop in Paris and it now has not only a French-French but also monolingual dictionaries for Spanish and German too.
Considering that English speaking readers have had the advantage of having both the Oxford dictionary of English and American English, this is only finally putting the situation right for French readers.
Since I read occasionally in German, Italian and Spanish too, this feature of the Sony readers is a real boon.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #85
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
actually, I much preferred the prs-650 style quick double tap, for highlighting a word, and for bookmarking a page. the newer system + the lack of a handy attached stylus make it much harder to highlight a word or a passage, compared with the old PRS-650.

with the T3, to highlight a passage you have to press one word & keep on pressing, hoping you are on the correct word, until the options appear; then very carefully slide your finger to where you want the end point to be. IF you are not ultra-careful, you move the start point by mistake & have to sort of slosh your finger around on the screen until you've highlighted something reasonably close to what you actually wanted - then quit while you are winning.
on the 650- grab stylus - tap & Immediately slide thru the desired words, remove pressure - phrase highlighted - job done , accurately, 1st time!

the muppet who did away with the stylus holder should have been fired IMHO
I can't get excited about how many foreign language dictionaries are built in, I only need one!
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #86
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
It's funny how nobody has mentioned the dictionary feature in the Sony readers. It has the best integrated dictionary system in any e-reader.
For me it is actually a pain since you cannot switch it off and it covers marks made close to the bottom of the screen during the marking process, so you cannot edit such marks easily. I usually don't need the dictionary so it would be neat if you could just switch it on and off as you like.

hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #87
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
No index, but the slidebar actually works ok.

So far the T3 seems very stable, and collections are the same. I liked the buttons better on the x50 but the T3 is smaller and lighter I think and the caseless T3 feels good to hold. Screen may be nicer but not significantly.

There are a few more changes function wise, but mostly for the better AFAIK

Helen
I looked for this slidebar you mentioned and I cannot find it? I'm new to the PRS-T3, just upgraded from PRS-650 and I already miss the Alphabet index on the side because it gave me an easy way to jump down my book list. Is there an equivalent on the PRS-T3? I see the arrow navigation buttons at the bottom of the page but it appears to only move one page at a time, which isn't bad if you only have 3 pages of books, but if you have 20? and how do you get to the author range of R's???

I don't know why they removed all the things that made the 650 great for hosting large collections from the T line of readers? I hate when great features are removed.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #88
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The slidebar comes up when you touch the bottom center of the page. You can either touch a point on the bar or drag. Same as Windows slidebars.

As you drag it displays the book titles or collections well enough so you can see where you are in the alphabet.

I did prefer the alphabetic index, but having gotten used to the slidebar, I am okay with it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #89
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
The slidebar comes up when you touch the bottom center of the page. You can either touch a point on the bar or drag. Same as Windows slidebars.

As you drag it displays the book titles or collections well enough so you can see where you are in the alphabet.

I did prefer the alphabetic index, but having gotten used to the slidebar, I am okay with it.

Helen
I hadn't realized there was a hidden option to navigate that way. I guess I'll have to give the slidebar a chance now that I know it's there.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #90
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Yes, Sony did slide bars are best I have seen displaying enough of what your searching for you to see how close you are in your scan. This is much like fanning top edge of dictionary with words shown at beginning and end of each page. Library can be sorted by Author, Title, Recent Read.
But, search function is better when you know author or title of book.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote