Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
DawndOnMe
DawndOnMe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader 505
Installed New Battery, What Next?

I have read through the Sony Forums, and all the battery/power issues I can possibly find. And here's the problem I have, and cannot find an answer to.

I have had a 505 for many years now, three or four, and recently, the battery will not hold a charge. I ordered a new battery, installed it (THANKS FOR THE INFO AND VIDEO TUTORIALS!!), charged it, and still have the same power results.

The red charging light goes off within minutes of plugging it in, whether USB or Play Station power cord. I disconnect it, plug it back in, and the light stays on for a while. I have left it plugged into the wall outlet overnight, and pretty much all weekend. It shows a full charge, keeps that charge for a few page turns, and within a few hours, I get the "triangle" that says low battery. Since this is the exact same thing it was doing BEFORE the new battery install, I am guessing there was nothing wrong with my original battery?

Back history that may or may not be important... I dropped my reader within weeks of purchasing it, and the power slide on top has NEVER worked. I didn't send it back to Sony, well, because I dropped it, and it was my fault, right? I read through the MR forums all those years ago, to see I was not alone with that problem. Should have returned it! Either way, it has never properly powered off. Only when it was read to death, or left alone too long.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading and I hope someone has an answer. I LOVE LOVE the 505 and cannot imagine adapting to something new!

Dawn
DawndOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Garry Lancaster
Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Sony PRS-650; TrekStor Pyrus Mini
I had almost exactly the same experience as you a couple of months ago. I'd dug out the PRS-505 (having been using the 350 exclusively for a while), found I couldn't get the battery to hold a charge, order a replacement and fitted it, only to find that it still wouldn't hold a charge. Unfortunately I also managed to snap the plastic plate housing the connectors at the bottom of the device I then put it away again and continued with just the 350.

However, just a few days ago I unearthed it once more, with the intention of perhaps eBaying it as "for spares or repair". This time it charged up with no problem whatsoever, and I've been enjoying using it immensely ever since (the battery indicator is still showing full).

The only thing I can think of to explain this is how I charged it up. Although I can't be certain, I strongly suspect that when I was having the issues previously, I had used a USB cable connected into a wall adapter, as I often charge USB devices in this way. This time, however, I charged it with the USB cable plugged directly into the computer.

When it finally runs down again, I'll try charging it from the USB wall adapter again to test the theory.

Garry
Garry Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
I wrote on that topic in another thread. Charging Sony readers over USB isn't that simple as it should be.

I own the PRS 350 (+- new) and have had a lot of troubles charging the reader.

My experience is:

- charging over external chargers sometimes doesn't work
- charging over USB sometimes doesn't work
- reader sometimes seems to be fully charged (symbol on the reader) but didn't charge at all
- when red light goes off after a short time, charging doesn't work
- charging over just a short time leads to battery symbol saying "battery full". But after a short time battery symbol tells you battery is empty
- There are different types of charging signs. (a) is better:
a) full-screen display with "charging"-symbol
b) just the bouncing arrow near battery symbol indicating charging status

Conclusio:

Charging over USB-port doesn't work in some cases. Using another charger or another USB-port may help. Wall-charger sometimes works, sometimes not. Solar chargers very often doesn't work at all.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
DawndOnMe

Garry- I have tried to charge it by plugging the USB into a wall adapter in the past, (when I didn't have the kids' PSP charger on hand and was desperate) and I am sure you will find when you plug it into the computer to charge on your next round, it will work wonderfully! I knew it didn't charge correctly when plugged into the adapter, and I think I read something about it on the forums. A, it may have been one of your posts.

A- you are absolutely correct. I am reading between the lines, and I see you saying exactly what I have already figured out... it doesn't matter how you charge it, how long you charge it, or even if you are standing on your head while charging it, these devices have minds of their own, and sometimes are completely unexplainable!

I did have it plugged into the USB to the computer all day yesterday, and it seemed to hold the charge SLIGHTLY longer last night! I was trying to avoid the factory or hard reset, whichever word you want to use, because I didn't want to wipe all of the books! For some reason, I think that's my next step.

I will keep you guys posted, and I appreciate your time in trying to help me figure it out!

Have a great afternoon, Dawn
Old 10-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawndOnMe View Post
Garry- I have tried to charge it by plugging the USB into a wall adapter in the past
Most of these type chargers will not charge the 505.

Quote:
when I didn't have the kids' PSP charger on hand and was desperate
The PSP charger via the yellow tipped barrel connector should always work great.

Quote:
I am sure you will find when you plug it into the computer to charge on your next round, it will work wonderfully!
If your computer goes to sleep or enters hibernate while you are trying to charge it the charging process will not be successful and while the computer is asleep the battery may actually discharge.

Also make sure you don't have any buttons stuck, like volume control, make sure you don't have a mp3 playing as this will drain the battery.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
DawndOnMe

Walt, thanks for the tips! Having owned the reader for years, I have discovered these quirks over time. I am convinced as long as we own these devices, which really do have minds of their own, we will learn something new everyday! I am just glad that most of the problems I run into have already been solved and talked about. Saves a little bit of a headache!

Update on my 505: I have tried EVERYTHING since my original post, meaning, the same ol' stuff! A- obviously I stood on my tippie toes or something, because I got different results.

Remember, I had charged by wall, PSP charger... I had charged by USB to the computer, and it wouldn't hold the charge. That's when I purchased a new battery, installed it, plugged it into the wall with the PSP charger all day, and it still wouldn't hold the charge more than a few hours. I also connected with the USB, at the office, where my computer wouldn't go to sleep at all during the day, and got the same results. It was dead within a few hours.

After I posted here, I tried the wall charger again... same results, held charge for a few hours. (They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results! I am there!) I used the USB to the computer. The red light would come on for a minute or so, then go out. I connected and disconnected several times, and was worried because the amber light and red light were alternating! Obviously, in my situation, that was a good sign. I let it sit for a few minues, and finally the red light was steady. The next time I disconnected, it went into the eternal rotating circle, which is scary, and after a few minutes, the menu came up. That was a long several minutes. I had lost my place in a current book, but that's no biggie. I repeated this connect/disconnect routine a few times that day, and it took a long time for the 505 to get into ready mode each time. GOOD NEWS, it has held the same charge for two days, and still "shows" a full battery. If I can make it through the weekend without a recharge, I consider it a success.

My non-technical conclusion: The 505 needed a reset of some sort (and I had already tried the reset button on the back, wiggling switches, pressing arrows) and all the normal reset techniques were not working. The last time I hooked it to the computer, for some reason, it "connected" differently, and was able to engage and find what it needed? As an average tech minded person, I realize the devices rule us, we do not have control over them!

Garry, A, Walt, Thanks for reading and helping me troubleshoot!

Dawn
Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
My non-technical conclusion: The 505 needed a reset of some sort (and I had already tried the reset button on the back, wiggling switches, pressing arrows) and all the normal reset techniques were not working. The last time I hooked it to the computer, for some reason, it "connected" differently, and was able to engage and find what it needed? As an average tech minded person, I realize the devices rule us, we do not have control over them!
Sounds like you got over the hump. I'm glad to hear it is working again. I too just replaced the battery in my 505, having the place I purchased the battery from have a video and supply the tools was a big plus.

Fortunately I didn't have your problems afterwards, but then my device wasn't quite so far gone when I replaced the battery. I think you're right about it needing a hard reset which it seems to have done on its own at some point.

Quote:
Garry, A, Walt, Thanks for reading and helping me troubleshoot!
You're welcome. US NC folks have to stick together.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Garry Lancaster
Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Sony PRS-650; TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Glad to hear you've got it going again, Dawn!

Garry
Garry Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I had the same 'issue' when I changed the battery in my 600, following a hard-reset it started to charge and discharge as expected.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote