Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
pat.indie
Edge User

Battery drain while in suspend mode

I have noticed that the battery keeps draining at a fairly fast clip even when the edge is 'closed' , and is presumably in suspend mode. Is this supposed to be happening? If so, I am wondering if there is anything to be done specifically, to prevent this from happening.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
OncTech
Edge User

I read in another thread that if you turn it on without opening it, the sensor in the hinge never registers it as closed and so it just stays fully on. Only other cause besides that I can think of is that certain programs disable suspend, though usually this is an option that can be turned off.

Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
pat.indie
Edge User

Thanks both OncTech and Boris for your comments.

I did try what Boris suggested. I closed the edge and opened it after a minute. The LCD did not come on on its own. So it is probably entering sleep mode.

Also, I have noticed that while in sleep mode, the arrows on the e-ink side (page changes) do not work either. I think that's a good sign.

I wish there was a blinking light indicator for the sleep mode...

@OncTech,

It is a real possibility that the edge has some running background apps that drain battery. I have a twitter app on constantly, that I am now highly suspicious of.

May be turning the wireless off before putting in the sleep mode will help.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
pat.indie
Edge User

Thanks Boris.

I have another battery-related question. When do you think it to be appropriate to shut down edge, to conserve the battery and possible extend battery life? For example, should it be turned off during night? Or do we just leave it on always (like the ipod)?

Old 06-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Eddy R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I got a useful tip back from enTourage Tech Support. To improve the likelihood that the eDGe goes to sleep when you close it, ensure you're at the home screen on the LCD side (just press the Home button on the bezel).

Apparently having a third party app up on the LCD side can prevent the eDGe from going to sleep - this isn't the case when it's the home screen because the Android OS is more easily able to suspend any app running in the background.
-A tip worth a bold print insert into a future edition of the guide.
Thank you!...

Advert