Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
Banshee5000
Banshee5000 began at the beginning.

Device: none
external hard drive usage

I'm looking for an E reader to replace my laptop and I require one that can have an external hard drive to be connected. I have a large collection of pdf files on an external hard drive already and want a reader I can view them on. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in swapping the files out as needed and do not wish to hear that as an option.
Banshee5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not aware of any dedicated ebook reader that can act as a USB host. There are certainly tablets that can do it - that might be worth investigating.

You're really going to need something like a tablet if PDFs are your main requirement - no 6" screen device is really satisfactory for this purpose.

Perhaps something like the Motorola Xoom might suit.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-08-2011 at 05:38 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An additional comment: you say that you have "absolutely no interest in swapping files out". Does that mean that you plan to read with an external hard disk actually attached to the device? That doesn't sound like a very practical proposition.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An additional comment: you say that you have "absolutely no interest in swapping files out". Does that mean that you plan to read with an external hard disk actually attached to the device? That doesn't sound like a very practical proposition.
I agree, Harry, it won't be an optimal solution at all.
A better solution, I think, might be a tablet plus a wireless USB router. D-Link, and others, make these. The hard disk could be connected to the router, and the PDFs are available over the network as needed/desired.

But I also question why an external HD at all? How many GB of data are we talking about, here? Wouldn't choosing a tablet with a larger internal HD be a better solution? Certainly that would be my first choice.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Banshee5000
Banshee5000 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yeah, I plan to read directly from the hard drive when it's connected to the reader. Routers, etc are out as I'm planning to be able to use this anywhere and I have over 100gb of files.
Banshee5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK. Well, as I say, I think you need to be looking at tablet devices - either Android or Windows. There's no eInk device which will do this, to the best of my knowledge. What I'd honestly suggest doing myself, though, is getting a couple of 32GB SD cards and putting your files on those. You could then use eInk readers.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
I have both Sony prs300 and a Kindle 3, neither device has an SD slot, but from what I have read, access times using SD are inferior to the main drive. There may be better hardware out there now, but its worth checking how accessible your library is in practice if using an ereader.

Once I became familiar with Calibre (on my PC) I didn't want to access by means of the reader hardware, I just plug in the USB cable and all my books and research notes are immediately accessible, searchable and easy to tag.
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Agree with Harry, there's no ereader that I know of with a USB Host port. However, the new Acer Iconia Tab A500 tablet does have that hardware.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Yeah, I agree with everybody else.

USB requirement + PDF viewers are almost certainly a tablet or smaller netbook.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote