Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #286
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just got off the phone as well and I was assured it would be around the 14th of December. Maybe a few days early or a few days after. But he said it would be definite. If it does not happen this time, I am going to ask for a supervisor's supervisor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:00 AM   #287
Fzzt
Enthusiast
Fzzt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Thanks for the info about the dates. Ugh. Looks like it will be 2008 before we actually see them then huh?

One of the side effects of this long delay in fulfilling this offer has been that my friends, who were on the fence over ebooks/e-ink to begin with are now pointing out all the negatives of using an electronic device to rely on reading books.
We even found one set up at the airport and between having a horrible wait at TSA and the extra bright overhead lights (very scratchy screen from so much handling), the poor unit just didn't have a chance to impress. Needless to say, until I have a unit in my own hands I've given up trying to champion the ideal of ebooks on a reader.
Fzzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #288
Michigan Dave
Michigan Dave began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am posting for the first time and I have been following these posts for awhile. I applied for a Sony card 9-26 and ordered the ebook 10-5 and received the cancel email 10-8. Are they sending out the ebooks to the earliest people who ordered or is there no reasonable order to the sending out of emails? To stop all of us calling and driving the reps nuts that promps them to give out wild answers, like in 2 weeks you will hear something, etc., why can't Sony send all of us waiting for our ebooks, an email explaining what is going on and assuring us we won't be forgotten in this mess.
Michigan Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #289
mdmcavoy
mdmcavoy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader
They are not filling the oldest orders first. I received mine with no problem, and had gone through the process well after the problems reported by earlier customers. For me, I applied for the credit card, a couple of weeks later I received the credit card, applied for the rewards and Reader, and had received it within a week after that. (Sorry, I don't remember the dates--my forum posts would show them.)
mdmcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:03 AM   #290
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The first 4 Readers I ordered (for myself and my 3 brothers) came in pretty quickly. I have been having a problem with the fifth one, the one I ordered for my aunt.

I didn't mind so much that they canceled the order; I knew I would be able to reorder at some point in the future. What was really annoying was when my aunt showed me her Sony Rewards credit card statement with a charge for $58.99, even though they canceled the order!

The Sony rep who canceled the false charge was very nice and he seemed to be saying in a rather oblique way that my aunt would be receiving the PRS-505, which made me quite happy (as I'm sure she'll be willing to trade me for my PRS-500). The rep I spoke to today, however, seemed to have no idea what was going to happen. I was instructed to call back next week to find out if any model will be available to be sent out.

I'm still crossing my fingers that it will be the 505, but I suspect it might be another month or so before my aunt receives anything at all.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 05:58 AM   #291
Fzzt
Enthusiast

I had thought about keeping the sony card even after getting a reader but if this is the way their rewards program works I think it's outta here once the reader shows up.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #292
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
The first 4 Readers I ordered (for myself and my 3 brothers) came in pretty quickly. I have been having a problem with the fifth one, the one I ordered for my aunt.
Some might say that you've already had your money's worth out of them .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #293
Fzzt
Enthusiast

Ran across a working 505 at Borders and I have to say I was more impressed with the readability of the screen than the older 500 I saw. The difference could have been attributed to really harsh light and a severely handled display unit of the 500.

If it was only $199, I'd have bought it on the spot.

Sure wouldn't mind them offering a different model with larger screen, even if that meant the unit was the size of a magazine. Portability is not a concern just a nice page size to read while lying in bed.

Now I'm really jonesing to get my hands on a reader especially with the holidays coming so I can use it while I have time to read!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #294
richfei
richfei began at the beginning.

Device: 123123
I called Sony again this morning. The CSR I spoke to was really not that helpful. I told them I've been waiting for 2 months, but he indicated that others had been waiting for 4 and much longer. They should however still be sending out 505s. I'd suggest you call them and put it on file that you'll be getting a 505 instead of a 500 (that's if you want a 505). I figure that since the 500 is discontinued, there should be more of a chance of getting a 505
I asked if there was someone I could speak to, to escalate this or a telephone number of another contact. He told me, there was no one else and the promotion is being handled by Corporate. He did give me an email address for Sony cmsc@am.sony.com, so I think I'll send them an email. Better than nothing really
richfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #295
Fzzt
Enthusiast

>>He did give me an email address for Sony cmsc@am.sony.com<<

cmsc = Corporate Message Shredding Center?

I think it's good to keep the pressure on and hopefully we will start seeing some emails soon.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #296
Michigan Dave
Michigan Dave began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just had a phone call from Sony Rewards about a letter I sent 2 weeks ago complaining about the vague answers we have been getting in are calls to the reps. She said we will be getting an email by the middle of December, giving us instructions on ordering the Sony Reader. By the way, they will be the 500's.
Michigan Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #297
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
I received a call 3 weeks ago from Sony Rewards telling me that I should expect an email with ordering instructions in one week -- two weeks at the latest.

Now they're telling people mid-December?
This is starting to get old.

I wonder if they're just trying to wait us out. Good thing I have lots and lots and lots of patience
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 PM   #298
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The last time I called they said for sure that the mythical email would be sent around the 14th of December. Could be a few days before or a few days after. So basically, if I don't get this mythical email by the 14th, I might see what they'd do if I threatened legal action.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #299
errie6
errie6 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
Unhappy Sad sad sad!

Well guys I also tried getting in on this "great" promotion. I applied on October 20 after reading the message boards. I have really great credit and thought I was going to be approved right away. Well I get a message that I should get a reply within 30 days. That turned into me getting approved after the October 31 deadline and now that doesn't qualify me to get the sony reader. I was actually hoping to give this to my mom as part of her Xmas present. Guess not! I was upset and will probably be cancelling my card today.

I just had a question for anyone who bought any extra readers...are you willing to sell me one? I don't mind paying more, since I know you're going through headaches but my mom really wanted one for Xmas! Or if anyone else knows where I can buy a cheaper one and don't mind getting the older version. I don't know if I can post my email here, but here goes: errie at netzero dot net. Thanks and I hope that all of you that got into the promotion are able to get one! It's not like they're free...Good luck everyone and please contact me if you're willing to give one up!
errie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #300
alr
alr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Well, I just got mine...

I don't mean to fan the flames, but this may be helpful information to those still waiting for their readers

timeline:

applied for card around 10/20/07
received 1st email on how to get my reader for 49.94 on 10/24/07
received card and signed up for sony rewards 10/28/07
unable to find PRS-500 on the website 10/28/07
called customer service on 10/30/07 and told to wait for an email with new instructions in a week or so
periodically, I searched for the older version of the reader (PRS-500) on the sony rewards website.
I finally found one via search on 11/27/07 and I ordered it.
Shipping confirmation via email on 11/29/07
Received a PRS-500 12/03/07

So for those of you still waiting for the mysterious email, I would suggest searching the website periodically, you might just get lucky like I did. For those of you whose orders were canceled, I don't understand it since you ordered yours before mine, and yet they shipped me one just now.
alr is offline   Reply With Quote