Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
jennieve01
jennieve01 began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
Help Me decide please

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a ereader. A jetbook I bought April 2009. I loved it to death despite its slow page loads and the occasional need to reset it. It has traveled with me overseas twice and has definitely given me my money’s worth. It is also almost completely dead. It started to lose charge about 2 months ago. Then it started getting stuck when I tried to open books and would stay in a continuous hourglass unless I rebooted it completely. Now the battery doesn’t hold a charge at all. So it's time to retire it to the junk pile as much as I hate to do so.
These days with as many ereaders as they have available I'm feeling a bit lost. I loved my jetbook but I can say I didn't enjoy the quirks or the battery time.

I'm looking for an ereader that has the following qualities.

Displays .prc files, loads books quickly when you click on them, has a long battery life, is portable enough to carry on the train during my daily commute.

Reading .txt files would be a huge plus.

Are there any in the less than $250 range that would suit me other than a jetbook?

Thank you for your help!

Jen
jennieve01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
PocketBook 360 is an excellent device for the commuter. It reads prc, text and 20 other formats, is quite quick as well. Its only $160. Check out some of the reviews and chit chat in the PocketBook forum here on MobileRead.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, jennieve01

Thought of a K3?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
wow Two of the PocektBook retailers (not me Ill have to see if I can match this)

Just announced great deals on Pocketbook 302 and PocketBook 360.

PocketBook 360s for only $129.99 (plus shipping of course)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107439
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Kindle 3 seems like the best bet, as long as you aren't talking about DRMed PRC files which I don't think it does. But that's pretty much the only format that the Kindle can display (mobi/prc/azw), though it also does do text files pretty well.

Battery lasts a long time and it's quite portable, though not the smallest.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
jennieve01

Thank you everyone! i hadn't thought of either. I'll go off and research both of them right now

Jen
Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Jetbook Lite?

AA batteries, so you can just get some rechargeables and pop them in.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
jennieve01

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I ended up getting a libre on sale for $69 to tide me over until the color readers get a little more slick