Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
gidgiddonihah
gidgiddonihah began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Calibre to Convert Kindle to Nook

Title really says it all. Will calibre be able to convert Kindle books i buy into the nook formats? Will there be many errors? I don't want to buy a book from Amazon to see if it will work becuase i don't want to waste money and not have it work .

Thanks!
gidgiddonihah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You'll need to remove the DRM, but otherwise, yes Calibre should convert the books with no problems, and no added errors. I say should because I've only done the reverse, ePub to mobi, which also works fine.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
gidgiddonihah
gidgiddonihah began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
You'll need to remove the DRM, but otherwise, yes Calibre should convert the books with no problems, and no added errors. I say should because I've only done the reverse, ePub to mobi, which also works fine.
Thanks for the quick reply. Just read that some books from Amazon do NOT have DRM on them, is this true?

Last edited by gidgiddonihah; 08-29-2010 at 08:29 PM.
gidgiddonihah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
Just read that some books from Amazon do NOT have DRM on them, is this true?
Yes. If the ebook's web page says "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited", then it is DRM free. See for example B002QHVVUI. However, most Kindle ebooks do have DRM.

It is possible to buy a Kindle ebook using Kindle 4 PC, strip the DRM using skindle and convert to ePub using Calibre. Calibre's MOBI (AZW) to ePub conversion is very good.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
dleebc
dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.

I have very recently purchased a nook color. When I purchased this several friends got together and made a sd card full of books to put on it for my very own library. My problem is, they are from kindles. I am new to the e-book e-reader world and reading some of the threads i found that I need to remove the DRM. What is that and how do I do that? I downloaded calibre yet still not sure what to do with it or my numerous amounts of books that are just waiting for me to find a way to read them. Please help....
dleebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleebc View Post
I have very recently purchased a nook color. When I purchased this several friends got together and made a sd card full of books to put on it for my very own library. My problem is, they are from kindles. I am new to the e-book e-reader world and reading some of the threads i found that I need to remove the DRM. What is that and how do I do that? I downloaded calibre yet still not sure what to do with it or my numerous amounts of books that are just waiting for me to find a way to read them. Please help....
calibre and get support from the calibre forum
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I need to remove the DRM. What is that and how do I do that?
You can find out about DRM here. Mobileread has rules about giving anyone detailed instructions on how to remove DRM since removing drm is against the law in some countries. Since we can't give instructions or link to drm removal resources you might want to Google Apprentice Alf's Blog for info on this subject.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
dleebc
dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.dleebc can teach chickens to fly.

Thank you Alan & Walt.
dleebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool you're welcome

Quote:
Thank you Alan & Walt.
you're welcome
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thank you Alan & Walt.
You're Welcome.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote