Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
seawolf1972
seawolf1972 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
epub conversion for Nook

Hi,

I am fairly new to Calibre and have been trying to convert some word documents to view on my nook. I've saved them as filtered HTML and converted them to epub. When I view them on the nook the conversion is great, but the pagination is not as I would like. There are multiple screen pages with the same page number. I understand that this is the default behaviour of the ePub format and it will paginate based on number of bytes rather than screen pages by default, but there must be a way of overriding this as all my bought epub books paginate per screen page.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong and how to resolve this for me?
seawolf1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolf1972 View Post
I am fairly new to Calibre and have been trying to convert some word documents to view on my nook. I've saved them as filtered HTML and converted them to epub. When I view them on the nook the conversion is great, but the pagination is not as I would like.
I'm glad the conversion is great.

Quote:
There are multiple screen pages with the same page number. I understand that this is the default behaviour of the ePub format and it will paginate based on number of bytes rather than screen pages by default, but there must be a way of overriding this as all my bought epub books paginate per screen page.
Epub is a reflowable format and I don't see how your "bought" epubs give you a unique page number per screen view, what happens to the pagination when you increase font size? The older Sony readers that used LRF paginated books on the fly and adjusted pagination when the screen font size changed, but I have not heard of any ePub reader doing what you're describing.

Quote:
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong and how to resolve this for me?
You're not doing anything wrong. Epub is what it is.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
seawolf1972
seawolf1972 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks for the quick response,

I've checked and you are of course correct. If I increase the font size on the books then the same thing happens and I have to go through multiple screens before the page number goes up.

So with that in mind, any idea how I would get my converted docs to exhibit the 1:1 screen to page ratio when using my nook at my default font size, like my bought books do?

I understand that this is a "feature" of epub books, but there is obviously a knack to getting the 1:1 ratio as others have done it.
seawolf1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I understand that this is a "feature" of epub books, but there is obviously a knack to getting the 1:1 ratio as others have done it.
This Mobileread wiki page talks briefly about page-maps which is how I think the bought books might be accomplishing this. Also the ePub best practices guide, linked toward the bottom of this page talks in detail about page-maps.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote