Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Just a few more Q's

Yeah .. I know, I know ... new memmber ... being a right PITA!

I have done many many hours of reading about life with Kobo after 1.4

Am I right in thinking the "I'm reading" looks diff after the upgrade - ie not as easy to use?

does the reader return to the page you were last at in the book you were reading when you turn it back on?

issues around the power off/sleep mode?

I'd appreciate a heads-up relating to any other common probs people are encountering/have encountered.

Did any of you have have a 1.0 reader which worked really well & then just suddenly died without warning?

I guess I was being paid back for being so smug because this is what happened with mine.
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
The "I'm Reading" looked exactly the same as before the upgrade.

If I turn it on from sleep mode, it goes back to the page I was reading. If I turn it on after it was completely powered off, it goes to the I'm Reading page.

I've had no issues with power/sleep.

Ever since the upgrade, my battery has been great. I have no issues and I don't regret doing the update.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Nearly finished my fourth book since last recharge and battery level is around a quarter. Firmware 1.4 has really improved battery life on my Kobo, at least for me.

I would like instant on permanently set like my PRS-300. hopefully the next update will allow some user preferenced adjustments to the power settings..

Last edited by sabredog; 10-05-2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: fixed sentence
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
mamasue
Zealot

thank you for your replies.

the reason I asked about the sleep/off is because many people on the FB Kobo group are having their units freeze between sleep & power off.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I'm very pleased with the 1.4 upgrade. My battery life seems to be better and I had no problems upgrading.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasue View Post
I have done many many hours of reading about life with Kobo after 1.4

Am I right in thinking the "I'm reading" looks diff after the upgrade - ie not as easy to use?

does the reader return to the page you were last at in the book you were reading when you turn it back on?

issues around the power off/sleep mode?

I'd appreciate a heads-up relating to any other common probs people are encountering/have encountered.

Did any of you have have a 1.0 reader which worked really well & then just suddenly died without warning?
First time after upgrade I think all books are shown in "I'm reading". Next time I recharged, they have gone, leaving only actual.
My advice would be to power down, not let it sleep. Cannot say why.
I had 1.0, but upgraded immediately. People like new battery life. I think it could be better, but I have a lot of ups and downs, so 3,5 books is fine. It lasts for over 2 weeks manufacturer claims. Big hurrrrah!
Only matters if you read your books.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
mamasue
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
My advice would be to power down, not let it sleep. Cannot say why....

Only matters if you read your books.

yes, I agree - when not in use - turn it off.

I read for several hours every night ... world's worst sleeper!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasue View Post
...many people on the FB Kobo group are having their units freeze between sleep & power off.
I have this problem only when I use an SD card - no SD card, no troubles. The presence of an SD card also decreases my battery life significantly. This is on firmware 1.4
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
MrGammaRay
MrGammaRay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
Currently Reading

After my upgrade there have been no power issues or difference in looks for the I'm Reading section EXCEPT it never shows the book I'm actually Currently Reading. I've loaded a few books and opened each one to make sure it looked good. But after I chose one book to read continuously, it always shows another book as Currently Reading. To recap: there are 5 books in my I'm Reading section. I am only reading 1 of these books (read some, power off, power on, select book, read some, power off, etc...) but a different book always shows up at the top of the list as Currently Reading when I power back on.

Anyone seen this behavior? Is this normal?

-steve-
MrGammaRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
The book I am currently reading always appears at the top of the list for me.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
MrGammaRay
MrGammaRay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
The book I am currently reading always appears at the top of the list for me.
Now that's strange: After 120 pages, now the actual book I've been reading is at the top as Currently Reading. Go figure.

-steve-
MrGammaRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
I'm using firmware 1.4 and have no problems at all when using a SD card with sleep, power up/down or freezing. In fact I have close to 150 books on the SD card.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote