Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
bubism
bubism began at the beginning.

Device: none
TOC issue: only h2, h3 selectable, not h1

Hello,

I have created a perfectly validated epub file with Sigil. Its TOC correctly reflects the nested h1, h2, ecc. titles.

The problem: when I check out the file on my actual reader (a Sony T1), I cannot select parent entries in the contents table. In example, selecting h1 entries only "opens" and "closes" their internal list of h2, h3... subheadings, instead of going to the start of the chapter (the h1 entry in question). Same goes with any entry containing subheadings.

Does anybody know how to fix this?
bubism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Make the h1s h2s and style a special h2 subclass to have a larger font?

Admittedly, the reader should perhaps behave better but this might work around it.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
bubism

Nope. The problem is not the h level, but the behavior of parent headings of any level.

Anytime a h contains sublevel h headings, it only behaves as a "container" instead of a "destination".

Any suggestion?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This is a known ADE problem. (The NCX is valid)

P1
C1
C2
P2
C3

You can't land on the P1 or P2 pages except by navigating (pg fwd/back) there from either side
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
bubism

Oh. So no solution at all?

Also, is this a Sony readers problem only, or does it happen with every device?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubism View Post
Oh. So no solution at all?

Also, is this a Sony readers problem only, or does it happen with every device?
Happens on my PEz.
It is a MRSDK (ADE) issue.
A Flat, 1 level TOC (NCX) is the only easy way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The best solution is to not include any text between the H1 and the first H2. This way it becomes a non-issue.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
bubism

@DaleDe: I suspect we are getting closer, but please bear with me... The text looks something like:

<h1>Chapter Title</h1>
Opening text of the chapter, possibly several pages long...
<h2>Subheading</h2>
More text, possibly including further sub-subheadings...

So, the text between h1 and h2 is there and I can't do anything about it.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubism View Post
@DaleDe: I suspect we are getting closer, but please bear with me... The text looks something like:

<h1>Chapter Title</h1>
<h2>Subheading</h2>

So, the text between h1 and h2 is there and I can't do anything about it.
yes, but there is nothing preventing an extra H2 tag using the same name as the Chapter title or something very similar.

Dale
Old 08-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
bubism

So are you suggesting:

<h1>Chapter Title</h1>
<h2>Chapter title</h2>
<h2>Subheading</h2>

?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Just to avoid the visual duplication of the title, I would suggest:

<h1>Chapter numeral</h1>
<h2>Title</h2>
<h2>Subheading</h2>

Just an idea off the top of my head, I haven't used it yet.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
bubism

I tried the above suggestion... then I realized that -beside being ingenuous yet ugly - it doesn't really solve the problem, as any parent heading, at any level, remains not selectable. In other words, it (sorta) works for chapters, but not for subheadings.

Any taker?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Apply recursion.

Dale
Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Apply recursion.

Dale
If I may, why not this?

Code:
<h1>Yippity-yippity</h1>
<h2>Start Reading</h2>
<h2>next chapter</h2>
Or, "Beginning," or whatever? It's neither ugly nor out of fashion; heaven knows, the "James Patterson TOC," with its Title and Start Reading as the sole entries, gets requested around here all the time, if that helps.

Other than that, there's really nothing you can do. The h1 won't work as a "go to" link, and you can only jump to the reading material from an active link, by definition. Therefore, you need to find a way to put a usable link there for the readers to use. We oftentimes use h1 headers with the title attribute only, so that no text displays on the page, but does on the NCX, with an h2 following for a sub-header, but you seem to not like that idea?

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

The reasons for using several levels is structure of the document. Using H1 for title doesn't actually buy any structure, although I have been know to use it that way myself. But if you do then the TOC will show only one entry and then you will have to expand it to get to the chapters. You haven't bought any structure. You might as well have only a single level. However, the collapsing of sections and expanding of sections can be quite useful in a TOC so multiple levels structurally make a lot of sense. It is unfortunate that ADE assumes that the higher level is always just a structural container without any text but that is what they assume. I have certainly seen documents that use that same assumption but some do not. One thing might be:

<h1>Chapter 1</h1>
<h2>Introduction to chapter 1</h2>
<h2>section 1</h2>
<h3>introduction to chapter 1 section 1</h3>
<h3>subsection</h3>
etc. etc.

It does not make much sense to have more that 3 levels in any event.

Dale