Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Regex engine?

Anyone know what regex engine Sigil uses?

Most normal regexes seem to work but for some reason I can't get it to like '^' for start of line.

I think I need to go peruse the manual.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Ok, I really like the new manual. It told me exactly what I wanted to know.

Unfortunately it didn't get me what I wanted.

Sigil's manual basically states the same thing as the QRegExp doc does:
Quote:
In Sigil ^ always signifies the start of the string (apart from within character classes), so carets should be escaped unless used in this way. The same applies to $ which in Sigil always signifies the end of the string.
What does "string" mean in the context of a global S&R in Sigil?

Is it a line? In which case a ^ represents the start of the line.
Is it a file? In which case a ^ represents the start of the file.

Troy
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
In regex, it's usually a line. A string is a, well, string of characters.

Can you define better what it is you don't understand?
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
troymc
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
In regex, it's usually a line. A string is a, well, string of characters.

Can you define better what it is you don't understand?
It seems pretty simple. Normally ^ refers the beginning of a line. In Sigil's find/replace dialog '^A' does not find lines beginning with 'A'. (At least not for me, does it work for you?)

So it appears that, in Sigil, ^ does *not* refer to the beginning of the line - so what does it refer to?

The docs say "beginning of string" - so what's a "string"? Is QRegExp parsing a single file as a "string"? or the whole document?

Troy
Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Well, I'm interested to see how this goes, as I'm struggling with a massive regex problem myself, albeit not yet in Sigil. But, the start of a string and the start of a line aren't the same thing. I think in regex if you only wanted to find the letter A at the beginning of a line you'd have to so indicate, whereas ^A would find any set of characters--string--that started with an A. I think. Maybe. cap will know.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Just a reminder that when we say "regex" there are many variants of "regular expressions" that we may be talking about. I, myself, like to think of Perl Regex, even though "that way lies madness." But at least there are definitions. If you can follow them. See, e.g. http://perldoc.perl.org/perlre.html

It all depends on what you (or your regex variant) means by "string." In PERL it usually means a "line" i.e. whatever is between two lineend characters, but that need not be the case.

Sigil uses "almost" the Perl version of regex, via QT. I'm not sure how close that is to my understanding of ""regex."

Is your brain melting yet?

Last edited by st_albert; 07-08-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: clarification
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Just a reminder that when we say "regex" there are many variants of "regular expressions" that we may be talking about. I, myself, like to think of Perl Regex, even though "that way lies madness." But at least there are definitions. If you can follow them. See, e.g. http://perldoc.perl.org/perlre.html

It all depends on what you (or your regex variant) means by "string." In PERL it usually means a "line" i.e. whatever is between two lineend characters, but that need not be the case.

Sigil uses "almost" the Perl version of regex, via QT. I'm not sure how close that is to my understanding of ""regex."

Is your brain melting yet?
And what looks like a "line" may be part of a "Wrapped paragraph" in code view.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:45 AM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
So it appears that, in Sigil, ^ does *not* refer to the beginning of the line - so what does it refer to?
I think this got broken a while back. I seem to recall someone casually saying how the start of line matching isn't working correctly, but since it never ended up on the tracker, I forgot to check it out. So do add it to the tracker.

And with that I leave for vacation.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #9
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

If it's broken...

Hmmm.

Try
Code:
\nA
if you're on Windows, or
Code:
\r\nA
if you're on Linux.

Just make sure to replace the \r\n when you change stuff -- it's selected, so you don't want to overwrite it and remove a carriage return.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
troymc
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I think this got broken a while back. I seem to recall someone casually saying how the start of line matching isn't working correctly, but since it never ended up on the tracker, I forgot to check it out. So do add it to the tracker.

And with that I leave for vacation.
Issue 498 opened. Have a great vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
If it's broken...

Hmmm.

Try
Code:
\nA
if you're on Windows, or
Code:
\r\nA
if you're on Linux.

Just make sure to replace the \r\n when you change stuff -- it's selected, so you don't want to overwrite it and remove a carriage return.
Unfortunately that didn't seem to work either.

But I know this guy Sed, and he's my friend. So I have an adequate work-around in place for what I needed to do.

Thanks, Cap!

Troy
Old 07-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
capidamonte

Sounds like it's fairly-well broken then.

If you know Sed, then you're connected and we should all be asking you...