Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
NAEB closing doors / stops selling Cybook devices

Visit the NAEB store and you'll notice a sign saying that it has been closed. Via TeleRead we found the following explanation, directly from Derek Benner over at Baen's Bar:

Quote:
Nothing like negotiations is going on. We're closed. (I guess we couldn't keep it quiet much longer.) The last units of this shipment have shipped and we're going out of business. We didn't get *NEAR* the price break we would have needed to stay in business. *I* would like to stay open and order Jinke V3 or Netronix EB-600 units, but the consensus is 'no'. Of course, if you, the customers want us to stay open and sell the other devices, you should let us know - because we'd have to work something up. (And yes, having invested so much of my desire and energy into this, I'm perfectly willing to keep going even if the others aren't.)

But at this time, we're going through the process of shutting down.

Derek
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's very sad news. I'd like to publically thank Derek and all the others involved for the huge amount of hard work they put into this. I know that many people (myself included) will be very sorry to hear this news.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Wow that would make me their last official buyer because, as far as I Know, I have ordered #60 of the last batch.

But truly this is sad news. Everybody involved thanks for everything and all the best in the future.

edit
In my opinion the fact that you didn't get *NEAR* the price break you would have needed to stay in business is basically due to the fact that you're dealing with a European firm. The euro/dollar conversion is at such a rate that European products are far to expensive in America at the moment.

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 07-31-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: afterthought
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Visit the NAEB store and you'll notice a sign saying that it has been closed. Via TeleRead we found the following explanation, directly from Derek Benner over at Bean's Bar:
Got no problem with what you've posted except that it is NOT "Bean's Bar" but BAEN'S Bar as it is a forum hosted by Baen Books. (Named after Jim Baen- RIP)

I, personally, would love to try to resurrect NAEB, but if I do it'll probably go with the Jinke V3 as we just couldn't get the volume discounts we needed with the Cybook.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ahhh yes, thank you.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Wow that would make me their last official buyer because, as far as I Know, I have ordered #60 of the last batch.

But truly this is sad news. Everybody involved thanks for everything and all the best in the future.

edit
In my opinion the fact that you didn't get *NEAR* the price break you would have needed to stay in business is basically due to the fact that you're dealing with a European firm. The euro/dollar conversion is at such a rate that European products are far to expensive in America at the moment.
My personal opinion is that we got the price break that Bookeen could afford and it was up to us to price the units high enough to make any sort of profit. We didn't. Silly us.

If I could, I'd resurrect NAEB but I'd sell Jinke V3 units and I'd include SD cards loaded with OI to supplement the - growing better with every update - installed firmware. Anyone interested?

Derek
Old 07-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
donbrubaker
Enthusiast
donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: LB Mars, Voyage, iPad Mini
Just a quick note to say I'm sorry to hear that NAEB's (maybe) shutting down. I purchased one of the Cybooks through NAEB and have been VERY happy with my purchase. I certainly understand the reasons for shutting down. Thanks for what you guys have done, I'm benefiting from it every day.
donbrubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
My personal opinion is that we got the price break that Bookeen could afford and it was up to us to price the units high enough to make any sort of profit. We didn't. Silly us.

If I could, I'd resurrect NAEB but I'd sell Jinke V3 units and I'd include SD cards loaded with OI to supplement the - growing better with every update - installed firmware. Anyone interested?

Derek
Yes I will purchase the first one and one each of the others you have mentioned you might sell.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
Yes I will purchase the first one and one each of the others you have mentioned you might sell.
Thanks for your support. I guess I better go make it happen then, yes?

Derek
Old 07-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Thanks to NAEB I got my Cybook, and I am very happy with the experience. In all my dealings with NAEB and their front man Derek, I always got the feeling that I was a valued customer. I felt they took my interest at heart. It was a bumpy road for those like me who were in the initial order, we almost all had a heart attack when the "Credit card" thing happened and nearly stopped the experience right there. But they finally came through and we got our wonderful machines.

Thanks for all your hard work Derek and the same goes for all the members of your team.

Hope you are successful in your future business projects!

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Yes, thanks, to all folk involved with NAEB. I came in towards the end of the first group of orders and was very happy with the whole process. I've had no serious problems with the Cybook, and enjoy it every day. Good wishes for any other project you undertake!

Lelah
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #12
barb2cats
Connoisseur
barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle 2, iPhone, VIZIO
I, also, was a member of the first purchasing group. I have been very pleased with all my interactions with the NAEB team.

I'll be purchasing from Derek if he reopens NAEB, or any other ebook and peripherals online business.

Thank you to all who were involved with NAEB.

Barb2cats
barb2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:25 AM   #13
tzutolin
Connoisseur
tzutolin began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
It is a shock to me hearing the news. I just received the unit about 2 weeks ago.

As a buyer of the latest batch, NAEB's support has always been very good to me, and I would like to especially thank to Derek for his kindly support.

If NAEB is going to sell Netronix EB-600 in the future, I will order one with no doubt.

Thanks & Regards,
David
tzutolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post

Derek
Yes. I will be first in line to buy!

I've bought 2 Cybooks from NAEB, the first with the 538 build and the second in the last shipment. Great service and great price!!

I also ordered 3 extra Cybook cases from Bookeen last winter. They only sent one even though their email order confirmation clearly said 3 were bought, and it took some wrangling to get the others.

So NAEB is much better to deal with than Bookeen, IMHO.

Best of luck, Derek!!
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #15
khnam
khnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura H20; Bookeen Cybook
I'm truly sorry to hear the news NAEB closing down.

I just got my Cybook from NAEB and very satisfied with this ebook reader. Shame that I'm supposed to recommend this to some friends and now its out of reach because sadly NAEB is the only place I knew sells this amazing reader internationally.

Thank you NAEB for your effort and I really hope we still get other things amazing from you someday.
khnam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybook, naeb