Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #61
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm going to be starting 2015 with a TBR pile of 750 books. One of my goals is now to reduce that to under 700 by the end of the year!

I'm mildly optimistic about meeting my 2015 challenges.

The spending target is probably the toughest one. I'm going to try to build up a bit of a cushion in 2015 instead of over-spending in the first months, and £25/month is quite a generous book budget really.

I should have no trouble with my plan to read all my unread books from 2004 and 2005. Read or abandon, anyway. But I'm sure there are some gems in there.

If I meet both those targets, reducing my TBR to under 700 should take care of itself.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-31-2014 at 06:41 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #62
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm going to be starting 2015 with a TBR pile of 750 books. One of my goals is now to reduce that to under 700 by the end of the year!

I'm mildly optimistic about meeting my 2015 challenges.

The spending target is probably the toughest one. I'm going to try to build up a bit of a cushion in 2015 instead of over-spending in the first months, and £25/month is quite a generous book budget really.

I should have no trouble with my plan to read all my unread books from 2004 and 2005. Read or abandon, anyway. But I'm sure there are some gems in there.

If I meet both those targets, reducing my TBR to under 700 should take care of itself.
I'm pretty positive you will succeed PD!

Wishing you and yours a Very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #63
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
2015 will be more challenging in terms of time to read. However, I'm going to set a primary goal of 70 books for the year and a secondary goal to make at least 10 of the books, non fiction and related to my work.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:13 AM   #64
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pleased to see that we have more participants for 2015 than at the same time last year.

Spread the word! A reading challenge is fun, and an excellent way to keep track of what you've read!
Old 01-01-2015, 05:14 AM   #65
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
2015 will be more challenging in terms of time to read. However, I'm going to set a primary goal of 70 books for the year and a secondary goal to make at least 10 of the books, non fiction and related to my work.
Copied to the challenge thread.
Advert
Old 01-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #66
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I'm pleased to see that we have more participants for 2015 than at the same time last year.

Spread the word! A reading challenge is fun, and an excellent way to keep track of what you've read!
What he said! The more the merrier.

I was just about to make a similar post! Thank you so much for having my back Paul!

To everyone: Welcome to 2015! May your year be filled with love, happiness, good health and awesome reads!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:09 AM   #67
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, it's day one, and the first book is finished! Campion #10 The Fashion in the Shrouds, a longish one for Allingham, and not her best, IMO, but a critical event takes place for the series. Best part, though, it's recorded already and it was free! (KU)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:58 AM   #68
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I finished The Forever Girl by Alexander McCall Smith as my first book of 2015. Unfortunately, it was a disappointment. Despite greatly enjoying his detective series set in Botswana, I found this book dull and irritating.

I'm sure I'll do better in the rest of 2015!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:12 AM   #69
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished Flesh and Blood by John Harvey rather too late last night, as my first book of 2015. I guess it was OK, I'm just not really sure I like this style of crime fiction. It was the last paper book in my ABC Murders sub-challenge, and I'm pleased to get it out of the way so early.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:00 AM   #70
irishmac473
Enthusiast
irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Interesting challenge, but there are a few that could be VERY difficult, like the one above for some of us.

And, WELCOME to MR!
If you can't do hometown I'm sure your state or region would suffice. The cool thing about this group is the mods. are setting up a few 24 hr. readathons throughout the year also.
irishmac473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #71
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Oh - one thing I'm going to add to my challenge for 2015 is to read all my bought but unread ebooks from 2005 AND 2006!
Oh my gosh, you have them going that far back!?! Wow! I have one or two audiobooks from about 2008, but I think those are my oldest unread. They are anthologies and the intro parts (about the author) just bores me to tears so I never finish. Of course, if I don't get a move on, by 2025, I will have LOTS unread from 2012.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-02-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #72
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Oh my gosh, you have them going that far back!?! Wow! I have one or two audiobooks from about 2008, but I think those are my oldest unread. They are anthologies and the intro parts (about the author) just bores me to tears so I never finish. Of course, if I don't get a move on, by 2025, I will have LOTS unread from 2012.
Yes, and last year I had unread ebooks from 2004. I'm going for two years of remaining unread ebooks this year, as I'd like to get my TBR pile under control both in terms of number of ebooks but also in terms of length of time any book stays on the list.

Next Year (2016) I intend to read all my 2007 unread books (43) and as many of my unread 2008 books as I can. But since I have 161 unread books from 2008, I expect that I'll be reading them across 2017 and 2018 (interspersed with newer books, of course).

I'm certainly hoping to keep my earliest unread ebook to no older than bought ten years ago. And if I could get it down to four or five that would be splendid.

Of course, having lots of books bought but not yet read is one of the nicer problems one could have.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #73
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
I've reduced my challenge by the numbers this year - from 100 books/40,000 pages to 84 books/30,000 pages. I'm going to be starting my first graduate job in July so I'm trying to be sensible and account for the fact that I'm going to be really busy for at least the first few months of that. I'm also trying to cut down my TBR, in particular my paper book TBR which runs to 162 books - I want to get that under 100.

My biggest challenge is going to be not buying more books than I can read - I've got to the point where my TBR, both physical and digital, is overwhelming to me, so I can't keep buying books at the rate I have been. I've set myself limits on both kinds of book but I don't know if I'll be able to stick to them - I already know which book I want for my one physical book this month so I'll have to go cold turkey after I purchase it!

Now, to actually get to reading... beginning with Unseen Academicals.
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #74
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by missimpossible View Post
My biggest challenge is going to be not buying more books than I can read - I've got to the point where my TBR, both physical and digital, is overwhelming to me, so I can't keep buying books at the rate I have been. I've set myself limits on both kinds of book but I don't know if I'll be able to stick to them - I already know which book I want for my one physical book this month so I'll have to go cold turkey after I purchase it!
Do remember that you can get encouragement and advice over in the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #75
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Quote:
Do remember that you can get encouragement and advice over in the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread.
Thanks I think I'll be popping in there quite often this year!
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote