Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle Fire Web Browser will likely allow for web based games.

From what I have read of the Kindle Fire Silk Web Browser it appears it will be very fast and enhanced by Amazon's own servers.

Thus, it should be great for playing games at web sites which do not require a client download.

One such game which I have been playing for a couple of years is Ferion. I can hardly wait to try it on my new Kindle Fire this week.

For Multiplayer the web based space game of Ferion is far better for Multiplayer contests with a game server of It's own and minimal graphics to slow it down. It allows up to 50 players or more to play at once with each participating at times of their own convenience. It lasts for about one month and is turn based with moves processed 24/7 each hour. It is free to play if one accepts ads on the various game screens. To eliminate the ads, one must pay a nominal fee.

That game also has a novel feature. If you are in their server for 14 hours in any 24 hour period, you receive a warning. If you are in their server for 16 hours in that same period, you are banned for 8 hours to get sufficient sleep to protect your health. Civilization is very addictive as well and should provide a safety feature as well for time spent.

Other browser based games should work real well on the Kindle Fire as well as games played inside Facebook. This Kindle Fire could revolutionize our entertainment possibilities.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Amazon video streaming works with flash, meaning that the Fire will use that as well. Most browser games are based on flash. Ergo, you can safely erase 'likely' from your title :P
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
From what I have read of the Kindle Fire Silk Web Browser it appears it will be very fast and enhanced by Amazon's own servers.
Whether or not the Silk web browser is fast has yet to be seen. (What is considered "fast" seems to be beaten by every new release.) However, the Silk technology will probably not be good for online games; without putting too much thought into it, I'm guessing it will actually be worse for games excepting the initial page load. Silk is excellent for non-optimized web pages where you are loading a lot of items (especially deeply "nested" items), but your game isn't likely to fall into either of those categories.

As gweminence mentions, if it is Flash, then Silk isn't likely to help at all. From personal experience, Flash is functional on mobile devices, but too many Flash developers assume the use of a pointing device (which most tablets lack) and moving around when using larger-than-screen Flash objects is almost impossible.

I'd love to hear your experiences, though, after you get your Fire.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Mouse equivalent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
As gweminence mentions, if it is Flash, then Silk isn't likely to help at all. From personal experience, Flash is functional on mobile devices, but too many Flash developers assume the use of a pointing device (which most tablets lack) and moving around when using larger-than-screen Flash objects is almost impossible.

I'd love to hear your experiences, though, after you get your Fire.
That is the $ 64 question: will there be some way to emulate a mouse on a Kindle Fire? I can see problems playing games without it.

Since there is no Kindle Fire Manual available yet, there is no way to research it.

The web based game, Ferion, however does not really require a mouse. It is table driven with minimal graphic screens. Most of the user action is selectable in tables and by clicking at a point on the screen which a thumbnail or stylus could easily duplicate.

There is some typing required but from what I understand there is an emulated keyboard available on the Kindle Fire.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
There is no Bluetooth support on the Fire (the developer page says so), I will probably go to Best Buy and grab a stylus to try out on it though since Sketchbook Mobile is compatible with it.

I would LOVE to go on Neopets though, heh. They're very click-friendly and I like playing their games and getting points. It's satisfying still after all these years. I tried to get my brother to join, but he doesn't like it (pfft, this generation doesn't know what they're missing!).
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 AM   #6
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
There is no Bluetooth support on the Fire (the developer page says so), I will probably go to Best Buy and grab a stylus to try out on it though since Sketchbook Mobile is compatible with it.
The difference between a touch screen and a pointing device is primarily the fact that, until someone gets really clever, a touch screen does not allow someone to hover over an element (although a stylus will help with the accuracy).
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
markkenzy
Enthusiast
markkenzy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch, Kindle Fire
I've seen a few videos comparing web browser for iPad, Samsum tablet, and kindle fire. Our kindle seems to be the slowest and quite clunky when zooming panning... I dunno if it's due to the hardware or silk's browser itself. Big disappointment >.<
markkenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkenzy View Post
I've seen a few videos comparing web browser for iPad, Samsum tablet, and kindle fire. Our kindle seems to be the slowest and quite clunky when zooming panning... I dunno if it's due to the hardware or silk's browser itself. Big disappointment >.<
It shouldn't be a big disappointment given the price and the purpose of the device. If you're looking for a fast, seamless browsing experience get a Honeycomb tablet or an iPad.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Can anyone who has the Fire tell me if Starfall.com works? Thats what Im interested the most for the kids. Thanks.
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Can anyone who has the Fire tell me if Starfall.com works? Thats what Im interested the most for the kids. Thanks.
Yes, and looks great!

Neopets works too!!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I will probably go to Best Buy and grab a stylus to try out on it though since Sketchbook Mobile is compatible with it.
If it is a capacitive touch screen then you might have trouble getting a stylus to work unless it is designed for that. I think there are some designed for the iPad that should work.