Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #451
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
Ray Porter, the narrator, is brilliant as well. I lost count at 19 different character voices...
He's truly a pleasure to listen to. My library had several of the audio books and he really brought the stories to life.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #452
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I gave up on book 3, just went on and on... Whoever took over for Recht forgot that every scene has to move the story forward.
I'm less than a quarter of the way through #3, so can't really comment on that. But from what you infer, Recht did not write the whole book? Some Google research is in order for me, I think...

EDIT: Oh wow! He died at just 26 years old! I had no idea. What a shame, as who knows in what directions his writing might have gone in later years?

Last edited by orlok; 11-15-2012 at 04:28 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #453
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
There's another book by Maberry, Dead of Night, is also really good - kind of a female Joe Ledger story.
Thank you! Got it last night and read the first hundred pages. So good! Dez could be Joe's twin! Mayhap they'll meet up one of these days in a future Maberry adventure.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #454
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Thank you! Got it last night and read the first hundred pages. So good! Dez could be Joe's twin! Mayhap they'll meet up one of these days in a future Maberry adventure.
Glad you liked it. Dez may be even more damaged in the psyche than Joe. Great stuff.

His YA zombie books, Rot and Ruin, Dust and Decay, etc. are also good - not another variation of Ledger either. Totally different characters/motivations.

If you scroll back through this thread, you'll find a shambling horde of reviews by myself and other brain eaters.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #455
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Rod Redux wrote this book called "Mort" and it worked for me. I'm not a fan of the genre but this book was enjoyable nonetheless.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #456
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Rod Redux wrote this book called "Mort" and it worked for me. I'm not a fan of the genre but this book was enjoyable nonetheless.

I've read that one as well. Not everyone will like it I think; though it is imaginative in it story. Characters not well defined. I still remember it though I read it months (years?) ago so that may say something...
Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #457
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well to be completely honest you can't expect Shakespearian levels of "quality" when it comes to zombie novels. But this one was an easy read and a good break from better books, sort of.

Quote:
I've read that one as well. Not everyone will like it I think; though it is imaginative in it story. Characters not well defined. I still remember it though I read it months (years?) ago so that may say something...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #458
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am reading The Variant Effect by G. Wells Taylor which has been enjoyable. It isn't strictly speaking a zombie book, but there are enough similarities that it might be worth a shot (especially since it is free). There are a couple writing quirks that I don't care for, but nothing strong enough for me to stop reading it or make me want to avoid the sequels.

It is available free from Amazon, Smashwords, etc. Or from the author's website: http://www.gwellstaylor.com/blog/
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #459
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Well to be completely honest you can't expect Shakespearian levels of "quality" when it comes to zombie novels. But this one was an easy read and a good break from better books, sort of.
You caught me; I'm a zombie snob!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #460
Yvonne_Writes
Yvonne_Writes for a long time would go to bed early.Yvonne_Writes for a long time would go to bed early.Yvonne_Writes for a long time would go to bed early.Yvonne_Writes for a long time would go to bed early.Yvonne_Writes for a long time would go to bed early.Yvonne_Writes for a long time would go to bed early.Yvonne_Writes for a long time would go to bed early.Yvonne_Writes for a long time would go to bed early.Yvonne_Writes for a long time would go to bed early.Yvonne_Writes for a long time would go to bed early.Yvonne_Writes for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony e-reader
Apologies if it's already been mentioned - I liked Night of the Living Trekkies by Kevin Anderson and Sam Stall, but you might have to be a Trekkie to appreciate it!
Yvonne_Writes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #461
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne_Writes View Post
Apologies if it's already been mentioned - I liked Night of the Living Trekkies by Kevin Anderson and Sam Stall, but you might have to be a Trekkie to appreciate it!
Good recommendation! Don't have to be a Treker if you have a basic knowledge of it.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #462
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I also had a good time with Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger Series. The first book, Patient Zero, deals with zombies and the last (so far), Assassin's Code, is about vampires

He has another in the series due out in March, 2013. Very fast, very fun reads.
I have read them too, and they are quite good. The last one, "Assassin's code", I would say not as good as the previous ones, but they are all good reads.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #463
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm in the mood for love.

Any good zombie books out there that celebrate Valentine's Day?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #464
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm in the mood for love.

Any good zombie books out there that celebrate Valentine's Day?
There's Warm Bodies, the book the movie is based on. It was written by Isaac Marion.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #465
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
A kind of love story - a detective novel which centres around one zombie's search for the woman he loved before he turned.

The No.1 Zombie Detective Agency by Danny King.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote