Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #46
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
So? How did that turn ou
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #47
Krzysiek_14
Krzysiek_14 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi,
I also managed to do it this way kindle touch demo, I tried to register them on amazon and also made ​​it.
Krzysiek_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #48
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzysiek_14 View Post
Hi,
I also managed to do it this way kindle touch demo, I tried to register them on amazon and also made ​​it.
Added to the "success report" list in the "simple debricking" sticky thread first post. Thanks for the report.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #49
Krzysiek_14
Krzysiek_14 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Added to the "success report" list in the "simple debricking" sticky thread first post. Thanks for the report.
No not yet the end is, well, I have no where sciągniąć 5.0.0, 5.1.0, but I dropped it does not work if you throw a 3G 5.1.2 it does not work wifi and 3G.
But I can read
Krzysiek_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #50
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzysiek_14 View Post
No not yet the end is, well, I have no where sciągniąć 5.0.0, 5.1.0, but I dropped it does not work if you throw a 3G 5.1.2 it does not work wifi and 3G.
But I can read
I've done the same and also couldn't connect to 3g, turns out this kindle doesn't have 3g at all it appears "wifi + 3g" under the settings menu because the "forensic" kt main image comes from a 3g kindle...

@geekmaster I've this problem with another demo kindle that keeps dropping out of fastboot, I remembered you posted a uboot image that changed permanently the boot mode to fastboot but I can't find it... could you point me to it please?
Old 08-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #51
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
I've done the same and also couldn't connect to 3g, turns out this kindle doesn't have 3g at all it appears "wifi + 3g" under the settings menu because the "forensic" kt main image comes from a 3g kindle...

@geekmaster I've this problem with another demo kindle that keeps dropping out of fastboot, I remembered you posted a uboot image that changed permanently the boot mode to fastboot but I can't find it... could you point me to it please?
No "permanent change" uboot. How you permanently change the bootmode is from diags. Use MfgTool to boot to diags, then install "fastboot bundle" (in diags exit menu) to "permanently" change to fastboot mode.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #52
giorgio130
Time Waster

The thing is the kindle cannot boot into diags any more... whatever is the reason! I really remember having seen those uboots that saved the bootmode... maybe I'm just wrong
Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #53
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
The thing is the kindle cannot boot into diags any more... whatever is the reason! I really remember having seen those uboots that saved the bootmode... maybe I'm just wrong
Try re-flashing the 5.0.0 diags kernel + 5.0.1 diags+ssh partition. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't boot into diags (except for a broken kernel or so).

PS: If you're talking about the 5.1.2 main image, it's from a Wifi-only Kindle - but the FW is identical anyway. Maybe the demo Kindles report a different (wrong) ID "somewhere" (TM).

Last edited by ixtab; 08-18-2012 at 06:41 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #54
giorgio130
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Try re-flashing the 5.0.0 diags kernel + 5.0.1 diags+ssh partition. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't boot into diags (except for a broken kernel or so).
This one is a K4. A broken kernel is what I was suspecting as well, probably I messed up with the files for Touch and Non-Touch since I had just flashed a K5.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #55
geekmaster

Quote:
This one is a K4. A broken kernel is what I was suspecting as well, probably I messed up with the files for Touch and Non-Touch since I had just flashed a K5.
Older versions of the getkernels script saved kernel images that could be up to 63-bytes too short. Some of the kernel images you can download from the pastebin URLs may indeed be "slightly" broken), but they have worked well for most people anyway.

I do not know if the K4 kernel images are COMPLETELY good or not. I suppose we should upload fresh kernel images.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #56
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster: Speaking of getkernels, did you publish the 'fixed' version yet, or are you still working on it?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #57
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: Speaking of getkernels, did you publish the 'fixed' version yet, or are you still working on it?
I thought I posted that (v1.4). Oops, I see not. It was waiting to be tested...

EDIT: I will be away for several hours. I will test my updated getkernels script later today before posting it. I plan to extract some virgin K3 images from a new-in-box K3 wifi today too, and I will use my updated getkernels script for part of that. I will upload this stuff within the next day.

EDIT2: getkernels has been updated.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-24-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #58
giorgio130
Time Waster

How big should be a working kernel?
Old 08-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #59
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
How big should be a working kernel?
See this post for determining whether the kernel file has the correct size. Note: too large a file is no problem, too small is.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #60
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
See this post for determining whether the kernel file has the correct size. Note: too large a file is no problem, too small is.
If a file is larger than the kernel storage area on mmc, it could potentially overwrite something beyond that storage area, but the kernels we have been working with are smaller than that. Beware that the main and diags kernel storage areas are not the same size, so flashing the wrong kernel could become an issue at some point.

As the linked post shows, some (or most) of our kernels are rounded up to the next 1024 bytes, so should not be too short. It is only when a kernel is from 1 to 64 bytes short of a full 1024 bytes that any bytes should get truncated (which is apparently the case for the new 5.1.x kernels).

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-18-2012 at 03:36 PM.